Thread: elevation or altitude

Potential Tuner

elevation or altitude

I am trying out the Race Render program, love it and the interface. I am pairing up GPS type data from on Xensr device while riding a sit down hydrofoil and it seems most of the data uploaded perfectly however height or altitude isn't. My export from the device is GPX and like I said, the other metrics show up, the map, speed, force, etc.

I added a couple of different gauges, one a time graph and adjusted the range from 0-20 (my jumps are below 20') because the default was 100'. Anyway, it never showed any variation on the graph. Is there a trick to the settings on the graph or is it possible my gpx file somehow has it in a different place/label and Race Render is seeing it somewhere else?

Thanks and I can provide an example if that helps.

Steve

Potential Tuner
    just to clarify, my Xensr is storing jump height, change from "0" which is set when kicked off from the app on the phone. So jump heights are relative to that set point and I don't have true altitude although I believe that may be stored on it too.

Most likely, the GPX format you are using is just storing that data in a custom field that we don't recognize. GPX has become a pretty diverse format with many products adding their own data types in various different ways, so we wont always understand custom data channels like we could with CSV or similar file formats. If you could post an example of the GPX file you're using, I'll take a look and see if this additional data is something that we can load in the future...

Potential Tuner
    it wouldn't allow me to attach it, even after I zipped, here is a link

http://www.blmeanie.net/Xensr-May13-1PM.gpx

the website also has this download available
    http://www.blmeanie.net/Xensr-May13-1PM.kml
    this seems to have more in it when I look with a text editor, especially towards the bottom of the file

thanks
    Last edited by blmeanie; 06-05-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks for linking the files. Unfortunately, the GPX file only contains Latitude, Longitude, and Time... RaceRender will also estimate speed, distance, and g-forces from that, but there's no data at all for altitude here.

The KML file does seem to have some height info in it near the bottom, but there's really no running log for us to work with here (nor would we normally expect it in a KML)... The coordinates at the top are provided without any timing data, and then the jump placemarks only denote data snapshots at those events, with no data before, after, or in between.

Some good news is that this means your data system probably has all of the data you want, but we'd just need it to be able to export that into a simple data log format, such as CSV, which is essentially just a text-based spreadsheet (one sample per row, with a time column to indicate each sample time). If it has other data export options, you might try those. Otherwise, you may want to ask them to add that export feature.

Potential Tuner
    Hi Steve,
    I you reach out to us directly on the Xensr Facebook page, we'll get you set up to work with Race Render using a Xensr Air!
    -Alex & Xensr

Potential Tuner
    great, will do

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Xensr View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I you reach out to us directly on the Xensr Facebook page, we'll get you set up to work with Race Render using a Xensr Air!
    -Alex & Xensr
    I posted a message on Facebook earlier this week, no response yet. Thanks.

Potential Tuner
    hoping to get some help from xensr team or somebody here, thanks.

Potential Tuner
    I use Dashware to extract a csv data file from my (GoPro Hero 5 black) video's. That file contains an altitude collumn, which makes it possible to calculate a collumn with alt meter (hope this is the right English word) figures and even an elevation grade (percentage or degrees) collumn and use these new figures in RaceRender. I also make my own average speed (from the 'distance' and 'time' figures) and top speed figures this way.

Potential Tuner
    all good if I had a gopro5 (have a 3+) and if using windows (dashware doesn't natively work on mac). Thanks for mapping your process. My geo device has all the data, just need to figure out how to extract it