Thread: Idle drops with A/C on

Potential Tuner

Idle drops with A/C on

I have a 97 Camaro SS with a 24X ignition system running a 2002 0411 computer. I am in the process of fine tuning and can't get it to hold an idle with the A/C switched on. The engine has a 242/248 cam with a 108 lobe separation. The heads and intake are fully ported and polished and and is setup with a 12.1 CR.

I have attached a log file to show what it's doing, I have also attached my config and tune. As you can see in the log it will idle around the commanded idle but once the A/C is switched on it will drop to 350-400 rpm. I also held the idle around 1300 rpm and switched the A/C on and it will still drop 200-300 rpm. I have adjusted the A/C Idle speed to 875, I upped the A/C Offset max to 3.40, I zeroed out the A/C torque Max Retard, and nothing seems to help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    John

My Config with AC Control.Channels.xml
    AC Log.hpl
    Tuning School Set Up Vac Leak WOT 3 AC troubleshoot.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Err I hate to say this but when that happened to me the AC pump siezed solid a week later, whilst I was trying to work out wtf was happening when the idle kept dropping..! Hopefully its nothing like that!
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Senior Tuner
    Do you have the right kind of A/C pressure sensor for
    the PCM? PCM is supposed to guesstimate compressor
    shaft load and work back to an airflow adder based on
    IAT and A/C pressure (and maybe some other stuff). It
    seems like this is failing to happen. Look at the desired
    airflow across A/C turnon event. Does it jump up, and
    does actual airflow change to meet it?

Big cams whack the accuracy of low RPM airflow estimating
    and it could be just this, too. Have a look at how your low
    end of the VE table is set up (esp. the 400RPM column, which
    you can't get data for, to fit - have to extrapolate "by eye"
    in my experience, with a much less troublesome cam.

Advanced Tuner
    You can log the actual reported AC pressure from sensor fairly accurately with this if needed;
    Capture.JPG

EDIT: just looked at your log with it, AC pressure doesn't follow the "AC on-off" pattern, something wrong there.. but also, the A/F says 12:1 at idle? And the spark is up around 29 with AC off... too high (imho anyway...)

Too be honest, it looks like everything needs adjusting. MAF way too lumpy, VE not good etc...
    Last edited by dermotw; 06-06-2017 at 12:13 AM.
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for taking the time to look at my logs, I am in the process of tuning the car according to The Tuning School. The VE is running high and I believe its due to turning the A/C on, when I run the car without using the A/C all my VE numbers are less than +/- 5 from zero. I've attached one of my other logs to show how it runs (No A/C).

I will try load the A/C Pressure in the screen shot. How much should it rise? Looking at the A/C pressure volts in the log, it rises to at least 1.8v or more every time I turn the A/C on and returns when I shut it off, is it not climbing high enough?

I failed to mention not to pay attention to the MPVI.1 A/F readings, that system has been acting up which is why I put in the AFR500 (MVPI.2). I'm not seeing where you see 12:1 A/F, one never reaches above 11 and the other hovers from 13.5 - 15.

Also, keep in mind, this is an LT1 engine not an LS1 engine, everything I've read says the LT1 requires more timing than an LS1. Of course being new to the tuning world, I am open to recommendations to see how my car reacts.

Thanks again for looking
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Below, mine tracking AC (at the bottom, white line). It drops suddenly over at right because I stalled the car The range here is (in volts) between about 2 and 5, kpa pressure would go between something like 600-800 >> 2000+

The point where I stalled it, bottom point was about 1.7v, you can see what happens when I started it again...

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by dermotw; 06-07-2017 at 04:04 AM.