Thread: strange cam timing from workshop

Advanced Tuner

strange cam timing from workshop

is there ever any reason to set the cam timing like this?
    a mates car wasn't making power even after the shop had done a few dyno sessions with lots of troubleshooting.
    to me its obviously the cam timing but i don't want to jump to any conclusions as its such a strange table, got me second guessing if its for a specific reason :/

whack cam timing.jpg

Tuner in Training
    I don't think it's going to be the cause of it not making power, but it's definitely going to use a lot more fuel while cruising with that table. Not sure why they've done it, maybe thinking it will feel more responsive under light throttle / load advancing the timing like that.

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like a B-series car, definitely not strange and is ideal for a race application. Won't be the cause of the issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Its just a basic bolt on street car lol kinda seemed like they were overcomplicating shit, when i saw that they had set max knock retard to .05 i kinda wondered about allthe other changes theyd made.

Cheers guys.

Advanced Tuner
    Whats is the result of that cam timing that makes it ideal for racing exactly?

Tuner in Training
    They're maximizing torque and horsepower at all rpm points. Advancing cam timing at lower rpm and retarding at high rpm. The factory cam timing is designed for maximum fuel economy at low load.

Advanced Tuner
    interesting. I always thought that's what having the more progressive timing in the standard tune did.
    is this only useful when boosted or does na respond the same?