Thread: File Not Found - Input Handler Open - Importing GPS data from GoPro Hero 5 footage

Potential Tuner

Question File Not Found - Input Handler Open - Importing GPS data from GoPro Hero 5 footage

Hi Guys,

I have recently come across RaceRender as potentially the only way for me to extract GPS data written into video files from my GoPro Hero 5 Black, however I am having an error stopping me from testing out the software before I make a purchase.

I am using a GoPro Hero 5 Black, the latest version of RaceRender (3.5.8) from the downloads page, and a laptop with Windows 10

I go through the normal steps, opening the program, choosing a blank project, clicking add input file, and the program prompts me to use the embedded GPS data from the chosen file, then I get the following error;

racerender-error.PNG

And here is my log file;

RR-LogOutput.txt

Hopefully it is something super obvious you guys can help me with.

Thanks so much and any time you spend on this is greatly appreciated.

Hi.

Thanks for attaching the diagnostics log. It looks like there are two main possibilities here:

1) In this particular case, the video is 1.23 seconds long and only appears to have 1 GPS sample. Normally, if the GoPro GPS is running, you'd get 18 samples per second, so I'd suspect that this video is just a bit too short and didn't have a good GPS lock yet.

2) You could get this error if you don't have write access to the location where the GoPro video file is stored. RaceRender will extract the embedded data by into a new separate file in the same location as the video (its name will add "-RR_Data.dat"). This doesn't often come up, but it can be a problem with read-only storage spaces such as a write-protected SD card, a different user account on your computer, etc. In this case it's using the Desktop of the user "justg" ("C:\Users\justg\Desktop\GoPro Vide").

Potential Tuner
    Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

We can right off number two I think, as "justg" is my user and the only user on the PC. Ran RR in admin just to check if anything was different too.

As for point one, yeah the videos are super short, as they are taken in the GoPro's Timelapse Video mode.
    I was beginning to think this was the culprit, perhaps the video only takes the first GPS point, but after opening the video in Go Pro's Quik software and toggling the GPS path option, it makes a path in the shape of the track!
    I loaded up a few different videos to be sure it wasn't making a random line that happened to look similar.

go-pro-quik-gps.jpg

Note that the dot on the track doesn't move as the time-lapse plays, but somehow the video knows the general shape of the track in question.
    This might not be proper metadata though, I don't know enough about these things (yet!) to make a knowledgeable guess.

I think for my purpose of recording track condition it may make sense to do regular time-lapse images, it makes many more files but it easier to work with overall.

Thanks for your time spent replying though!

Regards