Thread: Issues with TA Pro and GoPro 3+

Potential Tuner

Issues with TA Pro and GoPro 3+

Good afternoon, I tried using for the first time TA (iOS with iPhone 5S) sync'ed with a GoPro 3+ this last weekend on a track day and realized that whenever it is sync'ed with the camera I can't get the laps logged correctly, in essence each session is recorded as 1 single big lap... has anyone seen this happening before ?

Thank you

Mario

If it's logging it all as one big lap (or as "No Laps"), then it's probably just missing the GPS triggers... Assuming that the correct start/finish point is set, this type of problem is almost always a GPS reception issue.

The first thing to do is always to try to maximize your GPS reception conditions. When inside of a car, the best place is typically under the front windshield, so that the GPS antenna will have a large direct view of the sky. A good sturdy windshield mount is very helpful for this, and can place the phone in a good spot for shooting video as well as for visibility by the driver. Users who desire enhanced GPS accuracy and precision for their lap times, driving line analysis, statistics, etc., typically also upgrade to a compatible external GPS like the Dual XGPS160, but a phone's internal GPS should be enough to get most people started, if positioned for good reception.

Given the proximity of the two radios (ie both inside of your phone), I would not be too surprised if the use of the camera WiFi is having some effect on your GPS, even though they are on different frequencies, but good placement for GPS reception will go a long way with helping this.

Another thing you could try would be to go into the track setup and expand your start/finish tolerance, so that it will still trigger in the event of some GPS position error. Depending on the track, you may have some problems with it triggering on a nearby track segment, though. In that case, you could also set a Heading to indicate the direction of travel when you cross the actual start/finish.