Thread: Built-in Video Overlay Templates

Tuner in Training

Built-in Video Overlay Templates

Hello,

Are there plans to improve the current built-in overlays? It would be nice to see something similar to Harrys Lap Timer, where the RPM, GPS Speed, Throttle, G-Force, Brake (estimated) Gear Indicator are displayed.
    Another feature i find useful in HLT is the display indicating top speed on straights and corners. I understand RaceRender can achieve a large majority on the list, however it takes RaceRender 82 minutes to render a 20 minute session.
    It would also be helpful if TrackAddict would accept an external video source to perform overlays.
    My objective is to be able to compile an overlaid video and VBO data file for Circuit Tools to read in between sessions which in my case are 45 to 60 minutes long.

I prefer to use TrackAddict since it behaves more reliably with my GoPro Session, KIWI3 and Garmin GPS GLO. It's also nice TrackAddict logs it's data at 20Hz.

Or should i pursue a completely dedicated system like the VBOX HD2 from RaceLogic.

Quote Originally Posted by habeb View Post
    Hello,

Are there plans to improve the current built-in overlays? It would be nice to see something similar to Harrys Lap Timer, where the RPM, GPS Speed, Throttle, G-Force, Brake (estimated) Gear Indicator are displayed.
    Yes, there are plans to overhaul this with some enhanced graphics and new capabilities, however I should mention that all of the data overlays you listed except for estimated brake are already possible within the current app.

Another feature i find useful in HLT is the display indicating top speed on straights and corners. I understand RaceRender can achieve a large majority on the list, however it takes RaceRender 82 minutes to render a 20 minute session.
    RaceRender has the capability where you can add a "Peak+Base Speed" banner display to show straights and corner speeds, and also a similar display for peak cornering G-forces... The same type of numbers you'll see in TrackAddict's lap detail screen when in Speed mode or G-Force mode. It's not yet planned if these will be added to TrackAddict's video overlays as well, but in the meantime you can often improve RaceRender's performance on your computer by using smaller video input and output resolutions / frame rates, reducing the Picture Scaling Quality, and using the latest version of Windows or MacOS. Ultimately, it comes down to the performance of your computer, and your project setup, but 1080p30 is usually pretty manageable on most systems these days.

It would also be helpful if TrackAddict would accept an external video source to perform overlays.
    My objective is to be able to compile an overlaid video and VBO data file for Circuit Tools to read in between sessions which in my case are 45 to 60 minutes long.
    While we don't have any near-future plans to bring videos from external cameras into our TrackAddict app (limited storage space, slow transfer speeds, and other practicality concerns; this need is much better served with RaceRender on a computer), we are continually expanding TrackAddict's lap and data analysis capabilities. What types of analysis and displays are you currently using Circuit Tools for?

Tuner in Training
    Hi Weston,

Appreciate the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Yes, there are plans to overhaul this with some enhanced graphics and new capabilities, however I should mention that all of the data overlays you listed except for estimated brake are already possible within the current app.

Perhaps I need to revisit the stock overlay template again. My initial test did not have the ODB2 connected and made the assumption since the gauge wasn't present in the overlay it wasn't available.

RaceRender has the capability where you can add a "Peak+Base Speed" banner display to show straights and corner speeds, and also a similar display for peak cornering G-forces... The same type of numbers you'll see in TrackAddict's lap detail screen when in Speed mode or G-Force mode. It's not yet planned if these will be added to TrackAddict's video overlays as well, but in the meantime you can often improve RaceRender's performance on your computer by using smaller video input and output resolutions / frame rates, reducing the Picture Scaling Quality, and using the latest version of Windows or MacOS. Ultimately, it comes down to the performance of your computer, and your project setup, but 1080p30 is usually pretty manageable on most systems these days.

Thank you for the insight into the banner will investigate.

While we don't have any near-future plans to bring videos from external cameras into our TrackAddict app (limited storage space, slow transfer speeds, and other practicality concerns; this need is much better served with RaceRender on a computer), we are continually expanding TrackAddict's lap and data analysis capabilities. What types of analysis and displays are you currently using Circuit Tools for?

The storage will always be a concern, however it becomes less so as storage technology progresses. I recently updated my Iphone 6+ to the iPhone 7+ with 256g with the intent to leverage the additional storage. The transfer speed is handled through the USB cable and helps with moving 3.6gig video file from my MAC to the iPhone 7+.

In terms of managing the large video files within the iPhone, once the overlaid video is offloaded to another storage source, I'm not sure if users really need the video files to remain on the iPhone. I personally remove them and do not use the TrackAddict for any analysis. I view TrackAddict as more of a data collector and handle the analysis through Circuit Tools, although I would like TA to provide a few more features that would make the transition smoother and not reliant on another program like RaceRender. If users want to trick out their videos, they can certainly still use RaceRender.

During my last track outing I went back to HLT to try their new features. On my iPhone 7+ (256 gig), the rendering time performed by the iPhone was reasonable and certainly did not take anywhere near as long as us using RaceRender. The rendered video was 1080p/30fps, using H264 MP4 codec. The current limitation in HLT, it does not have the ability to merge multiple video files, which must be performed externally with apps like GoPro Studio. This process consumes the majority of the time in the entire process.

Regarding Circuit Tools, the MAC or IOS distribution only support 3 objects to graph/analyze at one time. You can compare 2 laps, not limited to that specific session, allowing comparison against previous outings or sessions within the same day. The Windows distribution does NOT have have these limits. Spoke to Racelogic about this and their objective was to provide a simple application targeting the iPad users. After using CT on MAC OS for over 6 months, I do not believe the iPad provides enough real estate to efficiently navigate within the graphs with precision. The same is likely to apply when trying to do analysis on a phone. If you install CT and take a sample VBO with video file, run through a 2 lap comparison you will see what I mean. There is a fair amount of zooming in and out between the data graph and tack map panel. Thankfully Racelogic did a good enough job in the MAC distribution, this is easy accomplished on my MAC with finger gestures.
    When using CT, I graph the GPS speed, lateral-Gs, Engine RPM. The MAP panel tracks your line and location as you scroll left or right through the data graph. The video panel isn't as important, but does quickly answer questions like why did the driver need to reduce their speed at a location on the track that would normally accept a higher rate.
    Other HLT users are able to share their VBO files and made available on HLT's server. It offers the ability to run comparisons against perhaps faster lap times to see where personal improvements can be made.

I have several coworkers that track with me and tried to get them to use TrackAddict instead. Unfortunately they would rather struggle with HLT's inconsistencies and reliability because it's easy to use and produces enough data in the overlaid video for a quick view.