Thread: Bench Flash Harness..

Bench Flash Harness..

Ok so iv got the VCM out of my 2004 2500hd chevy truck, in-which has licenses/ credits already applied and has been for the last 5+ years.. While the VCM is in the truck, it shows everything is ok and i can flash it no problem.. But when its on the bench flasher it says i do not have licenses to access the VCM.. Im thinking i must have made the harness wrong maybe, this is what iv done..

Blue VCM Connector Pin 1 Ground connected to OBD2 Pin 4 & 5. Then Blue VCM Connector Pin 19 & 20 12V Power connected to OBD2 Pin 16. Then Blue VCM Connector Pin 58 Serial connected to OBD2 Pin 2.

Or also i was thinking maybe there is something else that stores the credits in the truck i need to pull out and connect to the bench flasher ?

Or maybe i need to connect Blue VCM Connector Pin 57 to a 12V power too ?
    http://lt1swap.com/2004vortec_pcm.htm

Or something on the Green VCM Connector i need to connect too ?
    http://lt1swap.com/2004vortec_pcm.htm

Tuner in Training
    I have a working bench flasher I cobbled together at the shop, using only the blue plug... will send my pinout in the morning

Tuner in Training
    Using only the blue connector.

Ground, Pins 1/40 at the pcm, 4/5 at the dlc.
    Power, Pins 19/20/57 at the pcm, 16 at the dlc
    Data, Pin 58 at the pcm, 2 at the dlc

This thread is in the wrong section, but... Try pulling up VCM scanner and connecting to the PCM on the bench harness. That or use an older OBDII scan tool and see if there are any communications. I doubt it is a wiring issue.. Double check ground pins. No need to run C2. Sometimes mine goofs like that and a simple CTRL,ALT,DEL force close fixes it..
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Truck got hit by lightning.. the OBD2 port in the truck wont even read allow com.. now. But i was able to connect to it on the bench, it was some problem with hp tuners where i went ahead and clicked licenses and it said why you don't need to do that you already have this licensed then it let me flash.. But i disabled vats and was able to get the truck started, but still no com.. on the truck..

BCM is next in line.. i hadn't even noticed this, the truck had been sitting outside beside the shop that got hit 2 weeks ago.. built a bench tester and used the truck vcm to test it, when after the post above, of me saying it worked on the truck.. well i thought it did, so since i didn't try before i removed from the truck i went out connected the VCM and well the battery was dead, so i changed it, then noticed the dome light on and it wouldn't go out, then i noticed the AC back light on and it wouldn't go off, so then once battery was changed i tried starting the truck and it would only crank start for a sec then die, so i tried com.. with the VCM nothing..

So thats when i decided i needed to licenses the file anyways to disable vats to try and get the truck running.. but yeah :*( no dash lights, no odometer, no message center, no radio, no gauges what so ever work, blinkers work, head lights work but no hi beam.. and horn works, everything else is fried.. now im off to figure out the BCM.. anyone know a BCM programing tool or software for 2004 GMT800 ?

Edit: Here thought id add the lightning strike damage video.. https://youtu.be/fSLGNVd3GRk :End Edit
    Last edited by Monty; 06-15-2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: lightning strike video

Had a Blazer hit by lightning when new in 05. Arc went in thru the top of the antenna and out of the wheels. Everything with a diode was junk. PCM,ABS MODULE,TCM,TRANSFER CASE MOD,BCM,RADIO,CLUSTER,AC DIODE,SDM,relays,wiper motor,ETC.It turned all the oils a weird color and odor.Burnt the wheels.HP does not support BCM programming. Dealer only? The owners insurance covered it. Very $$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Earwax View Post
    Had a Blazer hit by lightning when new in 05. Arc went in thru the top of the antenna and out of the wheels. Everything with a diode was junk. PCM,ABS MODULE,TCM,TRANSFER CASE MOD,BCM,RADIO,CLUSTER,AC DIODE,SDM,relays,wiper motor,ETC.It turned all the oils a weird color and odor.Burnt the wheels.HP does not support BCM programming. Dealer only? The owners insurance covered it. Very $$$$$.
    No home owners wont pay, and i only have liability.. iv looked all over the truck, no in or out burn marks that i can find, will check under on the frame tomorrow, im hoping it was just the EMP from the strike since it was more than likely so close, since it blow out modem in house and AC and plugs in shop.. And so since the VCM is working, im hoping its just the BCM since the dome light wont go out, and the BCM controls the dash, message center, and odometer and also radio through the triggered power.. the truck is running im happy as long as i can get communication with the VCM through the OBD2 i can always just use my laptop for gauge cluster im going to try junkyard BCM at lest to get the lights and all back on and since i disabled the vats i shouldn't need to program the BCM.. i hope.. yeah see the video for the damage to the house and shop.. also i found the tree out beside the shop, had the dirt all dug up exposing the roots and the roots had the bark knocked off.. ha it literally blew the window AC unit up..

If irc, the modules on the data line need the correct (matching)S/N for communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Earwax View Post
    If irc, the modules on the data line need the correct (matching)S/N for communication.
    irc ? i searched all over and can not find anything that makes any sense to me as to what irc means, really would like to know .. But yeah are you saying that even if i have VATS disabled with out communication between the BCM and VCM the BCM still wont allow the dash lights and what not to work ?

If I remember correctly. the modules have to have matching S/N s. I don`t think it will work,until programmed (S/N,options). Try it and see.

Zap ... Ouch

Thought you guys might want to see the damage the lightning did to the BCM so here is one of the chips on the BCM that got zapped BIG TIME lol

Attachment 70412Attachment 70413Attachment 70414Attachment 70415
    Last edited by Monty; 06-17-2017 at 03:24 AM.