Thread: 2004 Silverado Electric fans tuning

Potential Tuner

Cool 2004 Silverado Electric fans tuning

New Member here. I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 that I installed a later model electric fan on, with the wiring harness from LS1fans.com. Now I need to do the necessary tuning in order to enable the fans. Does anyone have the stock tune from a 2005 Silverado that I could use as a guide to tune my setup, or any advice on setting the parameters for optimal results. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2003-07 Fan Patch Copy Fan Settings- Set AC Recirc to Fan 2.hpt

These are not my settings but distributed by one of the companies that sells the kits. I like these settings pretty well except for:
    1. If you are running a stock thermostat you might need to set the Fan 1 Off up to 198 or 199. Some won't quite make it down to 197 so on all the time.
    2. Disable speed. 90 mph? I prefer 25 mph there.

Of course if you have a 180 or 160 stat you can move the temps down.
    Enjoy your cold AC, quiet, smoother running, better fuel economy, and more power!

Dustin,

One quick thing to add, after doing a few of these e-fans I noticed something that is NOT in the patch file I posted...that IS in a stock 2005 file. Under Engine>Idle>Airflow>Cooling fan airflow 2005 stock truck/suvs have 2.0 lb/h for Fan 1 and 4.4lb/h for Fan 2. This helps a bit with the extra drag/bump from the alternator when the fans kick in. I just added it to my tune and all of the clients' tunes that I have done this swap for....now to call them to stop by for a slight improvement. I suppose that I need to make these and a few other minor changes to the patch files before posting them anymore. The patch file did not originate with me but if I am passing them around they should have all that suits an e-fan retrofit.

OK. I just made a new "Fan Patch" file with the suggested airflow changes for fan electrical drag. I also made small changes to Start-up Airflow Initial on the same page and Spark Start-up Flare Control as they seem to spring to life a bit more freely without the clutch fan drag.

Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    Dustin,

One quick thing to add, after doing a few of these e-fans I noticed something that is NOT in the patch file I posted...that IS in a stock 2005 file. Under Engine>Idle>Airflow>Cooling fan airflow 2005 stock truck/suvs have 2.0 lb/h for Fan 1 and 4.4lb/h for Fan 2. This helps a bit with the extra drag/bump from the alternator when the fans kick in. I just added it to my tune and all of the clients' tunes that I have done this swap for....now to call them to stop by for a slight improvement. I suppose that I need to make these and a few other minor changes to the patch files before posting them anymore. The patch file did not originate with me but if I am passing them around they should have all that suits an e-fan retrofit.

OK. I just made a new "Fan Patch" file with the suggested airflow changes for fan electrical drag. I also made small changes to Start-up Airflow Initial on the same page and Spark Start-up Flare Control as they seem to spring to life a bit more freely without the clutch fan drag.
    how can I download the patch file...? New member I signed in etc

I would think that you can just click on it.

Potential Tuner

Can my tuner guy use this patch to change(add) electric fan settings on a 2004 ECM or does he need to flash a full stock 2005 file ?

(Vehicle: 2004 Suburban that I am going to put stock 2005 eFans on with stock harness.)

Thank you!

The "Patch" file is not for flashing. It is just an example of useful e-fan settings.

He can just copy over the fan and idle settings to your current tune and re-flash it.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycinla View Post
    Can my tuner guy use this patch to change(add) electric fan settings on a 2004 ECM or does he need to flash a full stock 2005 file ?

(Vehicle: 2004 Suburban that I am going to put stock 2005 eFans on with stock harness.)

Thank you!
    If you have to "tell" your tuner guy anything about tuning a vehicle you need to find another tuner.

Potential Tuner
    The "Patch" file is not for flashing. It is just an example of useful e-fan settings.

He can just copy over the fan and idle settings to your current tune and re-flash it.
    OK, thank you.

Anyone know someone in San Diego that can do this and what would you guess it should cost ?

Thanks

When adding the electric fans is it necessary to upgrade the alternator? Or can the original 105A work?

It is often recommended but there are a variety of factors to consider...
    If you idle around a lot and/or high ambient temps, the fans will run a lot, and the alternator will run a low rpm so that all combines to increase the chance that you should upgrade the alternator.
    To the other side, if you are usually up and moving, and/or cooler climate (less AC usage, less fan), good radiator, vented hood, etc, the fans might not run enough to make you need to upgrade the alternator.

Senior Tuner
    I ran e-fans on a 04 Silverado for 5 years and around 60K miles with the 105a alternator. I never has a charging problem. The alternator did die when the truck had 175K miles on it. At that time I replaced it with a $25 salvage yard 145a alternator. Which by the way requires a slightly longer belt. You can stretch the 105a belt on it but it is tight and pretty much takes all the movement out of the idler.

Here is a 2002 2500 silverado I turned the electric fans on for.

JacksTruck_stockTiming_Fans.hpt

Tuner in Training
    heres a stock 2005 with factory electric fans if this will help at all.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    I can?t open your attachment. Could you repost as a link.

Potential Tuner
    I am looking for info on a tune for a 2004 2500hd 6.0 as auto. I need the efans turned on. What is my best option for this. Thanks.

Senior Tuner
    Do you have HP Tuners?

Potential Tuner
    Hi, I also did e fan conversion on a 2003 truck (Hummer H2). Fans work flawlessly as the ect goes up, no problem. A/C operation is the issue. On A/C request, compressor clutch activates like normal, HP sensor reads around 1.0V and starts to go up (close to 4V), condenser gets super hot, but no fan kicks on. It just doesn't respond to A/C HP sensor signal, apparently it doesn't cut off compressor clutch either, as it continues to run ( I checked with manual A/C gauge and high side was like 550PSI before I turn it off ).Recirculation fitted is set to "Fan # 2", Type fitted is set to "serial cycling" and "platform type" is set to "H2"by the tuner (All tunes with Efans I checked this field is set to "GMT800"). Truck has factory 3 wire pressure sensor on high side.
    I contacted the tuner and ask for a new file, they emailed me one, but they only changed ON/OFF temps under fan setting (which seems irrelevant to the issue) and he's insisting problem is not the tune. Attached is the file tuner sent me. Need some help here, thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files