Thread: 3.5 Ecoboost Misfire

Senior Tuner

3.5 Ecoboost Misfire

Is it common to start getting misfires when raising the boost on the 3.5? I was just curious if other people have been experiencing this and if you just replace / gap the plugs closer and it goes away or what. Trying to see if plugs should be a recommended things to along with a tune or if I've just had bad luck.

Tuner in Training
    On the 11-12 model years a plug change was necessary. You want these if your truck does not already have them. .034 gap works good for 18-20 psi on my truck.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/SP-...ark-Plugs.html

Plugs are a huge issue on '11-14 Eco's. Generally 60k miles with no towing on a stock tune is pushing the limits before I have seen them come in for miss under load. Also, replace the small plug 'boots' on the coil tips, once the plug gap starts to widen, the plugs usually develop a carbon track down the plug porcelin and inside the boot, which provides a path for missfiring on the new plug's porcelin. The boots are cheap, and there is even a TSB to replace when doing plugs if carbon tracking is visible (I do it regardless).

Highly common the Eco's pre '15, I see them daily.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Senior Tuner
    I wish I had known about the boots. After having several customers ask I just borrowed an 13 Ecoboost to develop a good tune for them and as soon as I started turning things up it started to miss. It had 52k miles and changing the plugs fixed it.

Tuner in Training
    I gapped my 2016 to .026. By the time I got to 17-18psi it started to miss.