Thread: Idle misture with ETC Area Scalar?

Tuner in Training

Idle misture with ETC Area Scalar?

Hi,
    on idle, my I5 engine is running lean, the LTFT says.

If I change the ETC Area Scalar value, does it affect the mixture?
    To make it richer about 20%, do I need to sett the ETC Area Scalar 20% larger?

Thanks for help.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Only if you changed to a larger throttle body do you change that number.
    You need to change the ve or maf table to settle your fueling issues.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for reply.
    I've tried to set the VE or MAF settings but this results in erratic idle and the engine don't take any throttle anymore.

I've experimented with the ETC Area Scalar (as this is on the idle tab) and the idle mixture is reacting on it.
    The car seem to run fine now.

Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    It think you were right.
    The ECT Area Scalar was no help with idle mixture. I've changed the first number on the MAF table to 10% higher value which has solved it.
    Question:
    With the stock number of the ECT Area Scalar "4500" the engine has no smooth transitions. If I set the value to 5500 it is much smoother.
    Is there any downside of this parameter? does it cost power or rise the consumption?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    some motors are off by a lot stock. i bought my yukon in Sacramento California which is at sea level. i took it to Reno Nevada which is roughly +4500 ft. i got fuel trim errors up to around +20% so i thought i had an intake air leak since both banks were the same. turns out after resealing everything that i did not have air leaks, the ve was off by -18% on average. Sometimes you just have to believe the results and try the change.

the ect scalar is just a value that tells the computer how much usable area the tb has. its calculated as: TB bore area - (TB plate cross section area at wide open + TB shaft cross section area) i forget the values its calculated in....i want to say mm but i haven't done this task in a long time.
    the stock value is the most accurate value. with that being said if you tuned the fueling and ignition in and still have drivability issues then by all means test the value out.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman