Thread: 5R101W slow speed down shift problem

Potential Tuner

5R101W slow speed down shift problem

Hello,
    I have a 2006 F250 6.0 diesel with the 5R101W trans. Truck has a tow tune in it now

Im having some issues with my trans only with tune in truck. Truck has a new (reman) trans in it now, maybe 50 miles on it. This problem was with old trans as well.
    Up shifting seems to be good now, was doing a flare shift from 2-3 and 3-5. This seems good now. My biggest issue is when truck down shifts at low speeds. We watched on my buddys scanner, when trans goes to 5th and you make trans down shift with heavy throttle it starts to hunt for gears. Example: Trans was in 5th, when heavy throttle applied trans drops to 3rd, then drops to 1st, back to 3rd, then 1st again back to 3rd then 5th. All of this happens in 10 sec of making it down shift with heavy throttle.
    With stock tune in truck there is no issue at all, only with tune. So im not sure what im missing in tune to fix this.
    Any help would be great!
    Thank You
    Here is the tune in truck now

JIM CUSTOM TOW TUNE 32717 ADJUSTED EGR 404 405 406 OFF SHIFT ADJUSTMENT.hptVCMSuiteInfo.txt

Tuner in Training
    Sounds like you may have the streams crossed. Easy to do if you dont plot your curves. I'll do my best to remember to look your file over when i get home. If the shifts aren't slipping or feel harsh, I'd rule out shift solenoids

Potential Tuner
    Ok, I appreciate It! Truck is shifting good right now. Just the slow speed down shift with heavy throttle is the issue.

Tuner in Training
    Wanted to update I am finally looking your file over

I see your file is practically stock shifts. I would start by ensuring your N/V Base is correct or at least close. Roughly calculate it with (TireRevs * RearRatio) / 60 This will ensure the transmission is shifting on que. You may be surprised by the difference
    Last edited by Bocephus; 06-20-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Ok. Just reset it. Was different then what was in there. I will try to get a test drive on it. Will let you know.
    Thank you!

Potential Tuner
    Ok. Sorry on delay been busy as heck.
    Loaded adjusted tune. Seems like same thing.
    I have noticed on light throttle I will get a flare shift from 3-5. Not all the time. If throttle normal from a light seems to shift fine. ?
    Could it be that I need to bump line pressure somewhere?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Tuner in Training
    If bumping up shift pressure feels like it improves / removes the shift flare, then I would suspect that to be the culprit. Watch the Torque PID on a monitor and see if there's a certain point that seems to be most problematic. If it seems erratic I'd point at sticking shift solenoids, but looks like yours are a bit newer, by your original post.
    Most of the tunes I've reviewed looks as though most people just multiply the whole table by a factor and I think this is where we need to actually dial each step in ourselves since the factory table to start isn't that impressive.
    HPTuners doesn't show the Function for transmission learning, but it is allowed to add or remove a certain range of pressure to best meet it's target clutch times, so if you just get close the TCM will do the rest for you. The pressures you set are just a starting point, hence the learning process.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will play with the factor and see if it starts to improve. Should I just mess with the shift tables causing issue or all the tables?
    Thanks again!

Tuner in Training
    I would just focus on the shifts causing you issues. I'll try to remember tonight to share the template i've started with.

Potential Tuner
    Ok
    Thank you

Potential Tuner
    Some update.
    Been playing with tranny shift. Same
    Was playing with another tune off HP's site. I can put that "425hp" tune in and shifts fine. Power not same as mine. So I adjusted every but tranny stuff. Same problem.
    Is there something in the fueling and injector timing messing with tranny?

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for all the help on this.
    The new trans that was put in failed again. So I just traded truck in. Had to stop putting money in this thing.

99% of trans failures with the 5R110's are from tunes that somebody did, who didn't have clue on what they were doing OR HOW this trans actually works. Guessing gets expensive..
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

can anyone help with a good tune i want mine to last