Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The tuning school books any good?

The tuning school books any good?

Didn't know where to post this but been looking into possibly getting the tuning school courses for gen 4&5 and just wanted to ask if anyone was familiar and if worth the money as they are not cheap. I wish they went more into turbo applications like atsv/cts vsport and ats/camaro 2.0t as I am getting a lot more people interested in tuning these cars and just like to learn more on the platforms of the right way on certain things as a lot of times questions go unanswered on here on some more complex problems.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Having seen their course it doesn't really teach you it just tells you what tables to change with suggested values. IMOP its way to generic for the price. I know ERM performance tuning offers a great course book as well as one on one training. Although, I am not sure what he offers for atsv/vsport.

Honestly based way to learn Gen 5 specific stuff is on this forum...

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rbooth View Post
    Having seen their course it doesn't really teach you it just tells you what tables to change with suggested values. IMOP its way to generic for the price. I know ERM performance tuning offers a great course book as well as one on one training. Although, I am not sure what he offers for atsv/vsport.
    I am a customer of both and I agree with this statement. Knowing why you are changing something is a must IMO.

Thanks I will look into the other company too. I don't do this for money like a lot of guys on here I do it for me and to help some friends since I have been tuning a long time.(still have my stuff for chips) lol so had a good base on a lot of stuff. Just having some issues on keeping boost steady and up above 14 on my caddy so why was even looking into this as an option to try to get some more info on the tables but If don't even cover the turbo part of it then pointless for my setup. Now when the lt7 drops and a v8 has twin turbos I bet these places decide to start courses and books on the turbo stuff.

2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Honestly based way to learn Gen 5 specific stuff is on this forum...
    Agreed
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Plus Ed Mowton is a heck of a nice guy to boot. I spoke with him the other day and he gave me a tip - since I wanted to install my wideband permanently,.... I could tie the Wideband output into my 0411 PCM (utilizing my unused EGR pinouts),....and configure that input so I could scan with wideband included,....man, that was cool, didn't know that was an option.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

There is a lot of great info out here on v8 stuff but very little on the twin turbo 3.6 in the atsv/cts vsport or the ats/ camaro 2.0t as none of the earlier cobalt stuff really applies to these newer e92/e80 platforms. The e80 should be in every GM how nice would it be to have factory wideband in a z06/zl1 or even lt1 cars? Not sure why 2.0t is the only one to get this setup so far. Anyway just not a lot of info on them and why started searching for books or classes even phone support as the tables the turbo uses isn't applied in you typical n/a or even supercharged car so doesn't get a lot of traction when questions are asked as not many tuning them or just on here asking and answering. A few tables that don't have a lot of explanation that I see some tune but not sure how they reach the values I am seeing used. I have emailed erm so waiting to here back from them now. I am going on two days with no answers from the tuning school so if they cannot even answer an email about the product how can you expect them to help with other issues right away. So not looking good for them when can't answer an email about their products.

Tuner
    Does anyone have these books and would like to get rid of them?

I would pay for copies so someone could recoup some of their money on just good copies of them

I have some that I bought years ago I would part ways with if you really want them.

Tuner
    I have the transmission book for 4, 6, and 8 speed transmissions if someone would like to trade info pm me!

Quote Originally Posted by Codes View Post
    I am a customer of both and I agree with this statement. Knowing why you are changing something is a must IMO.
    Agreed again. The only courses I have taken were the Hellcat courses from the tuning school. Having tuned Dodges for many years it was very disappointing to see such basic coverage and NO explanation of why and what. Not to mention some stuff they tell you to "just" change, you shouldn't be changing. I looked into the Gen 5 stuff and was pretty annoyed that you HAVE to buy the first 2 levels to get it, like WTF, been tuning GM since the 90's, I don't need the Gen 3/4 stuff, just would like to get up to be speed quicker on the Gen 5 stuff but I have to spend $1800 to get it??

Same here been tuning since irocs and chip based cars. Hell I still have my tunercat stuff and about to update it to gen 5 just to see if has more to offer for tables as my 2007 tahoe is a lot different between hptuners and tunercat from how many tables they offer and the adjustability of them. So thinking gen 5 might be even better through them. But anyway the e92/e80 torque based turbo stuff is so different from anything and no one offers any help on it. The n/a stuff I have done 2015 Silverado things like that aren't too bad they don't shut the throttle as my vsport can just for no reason or make 13lbs on one run the 17 on the next. So some kind of help would be nice as when I get what I want from it the car is extremely fast but it isn't always there when go to the throttle. As popular as this is becoming and going to get more very soon I would think big tuning companies like these would be all over these cars just to stay ahead of the curve for when the twin turbo v8 stuff comes or even naturally aspirated twin over head cam v8 stuff as it is on the way sooner then most might think. If someone wants to spilt the gen 5 books i am all in on it a few of us buy it and just make copies as I thought you can buy each gen as you wanted but sale is over today or maybe already is done I haven't looked at pricing today as yet to hear back on if phone support is on the turbo stuff or not. Can't even answer my emails.

So now current courses / books do cover some soi and twin cam tuning in them they say. He also said torque coefficients tables are included and descriptions on how they affect things in the tune. His email

"In the current version of the GEN V Course, we do provide SOI and EOI tuning information, as well as variable camshaft adjustments.
    Closed loop fueling is controlled by the Stoich setpoint as well as the fuel trims, and MAF data along with narrowband O2 sensor feedback (Widebands are not equipped of GEN V Corvette/Truck). Our course does cover how to tune this section as well. Our new GEN V Course will expand coverage to include Torque Coefficients.

The Level 1 Gen 3/4 course does cover Bolt-On, Heads/Cam and Forced Induction tuning for all GEN 3 and 4 ECM's.

Tuner in Training
    I have older copys of the beginner, advanced, and transmission books that I don't use anymore. I would part with all of them. Send me a pm if anybody is interested.

Tuner in Training
    I just purchased a copy of their basic GM tuning set. Received it yesterday. I'll check back in and let you know my thoughts, for what its worth. Packaged nicely, and seems well put together is my first impression.

Jason

Yea and I would not be talking publicly about making copies of those books, on a public forum.

Tuner in Training
    Ive done both beginners and Advanced Course.
    For the price I would tend to agree with this statement.
    The extra $1,200+ to get certified is a bit steep as it just covers exactly what was covered the day before.
    I also look forward to doing business with Ed.

I recommend Ed's tutorial. A huge source of accurate material and a great value.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP