Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The tuning school books any good?

Potential Tuner
    If anybody is wanting to get rid of any books let me know

Potential Tuner

I can?t find a way to send a pm but I?ll buy those books!

Quote Originally Posted by claytonracing View Post
    I have older copys of the beginner, advanced, and transmission books that I don't use anymore. I would part with all of them. Send me a pm if anybody is interested.

Potential Tuner
    Hi guys I think you just answered my question. I want a structured program to learn the basics of HP Tuners and I was looking at both ERM & the Tuning school. Looks to me like ERM is a better choice for me. I did see that Ed is struggling with health issues that I have also had and I wish him & his family the best.

Potential Tuner
    Anybody talked to Ed at ERM lately?? I sent 2 e-mails last week and got no answer concerning training.

Advanced Tuner
    He has been in and out of the hospital

Hi guys, I have been fighting this cancer thing for a couple of months as it came back hard.....but have been trying to respond to all correspondence. If I owe anyone a response or tune or session, please let me know. I just started a new immunology cancer treatment regiment Frday....the side effects are supposed to be much less than my last Chemo regiment which really kicked my ass.....:-(

As far as Gen 5 goes, we have a process we follow which we can mentor through one on one sessions as I do not have any formal documentation. I, like all others have been searching for the holy grail and have yet to hit the bullseye. My problem right now is the inputs and outputs just aren't consistent....think I understand the concepts (by the way, the paten has provided me the most insight), but next project, similar yet input and outputs are different........

Ed M

PS, I am working a Transmission Tutorial......maybe a month before its release......
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Ed,
    Thank you for what you have done for this community.
    Keep up the good fight.
    T

Tuner
    Praying for you Ed!

Potential Tuner
    i bought the beginner gen3/4 course a month or two ago, within a week or two of getting my 500 dollar books i noticed on the tuning school website while searching for a mvpi2 wideband i could spent 500 or 600 more for dyno time instruction and class room instuction over a couple days within a 90 mile drive.

i sent them a email explaining i didnt know they even had a class like that only 90 miles from me and asked my books be credited against the live class. after a week or so i was offered a 250 credit. so even thou iv like the books if you dont have a wideband already your screwed past VE.
    bye the way the books they selling aint even updated with the mvpi2 i bought last july.
    thanks tuning school
    btw everything in that book i already had a grasp on from you tube , pft, and ls1 and freaking google
    it just helped me put some stuff together that my beer drinking hours invested reading kept forgeting
    so basically these books depreciate like a freaking rolls royce.
    hey tuning school i was nice enough to return the advanced books you mistakenly sent me for that mexican fella in cali after you finally sent me my course and i explained how u fuc$edup, i wish i hadnt.
    because apparently they worth 250 or so.
    Sincerely , Nate Pease
    Trion GA

Tuner in Training
    bringing this thread back to life. I know Ed Mowton passed recently, have tried to contact his son through website email and the erm fb page with no luck.
    Just want to see if I can purchase Ed's tutorial.
    Bueller???

damn. RIP, Ed.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    May god rest his Soul.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner

I am interested in your books

Quote Originally Posted by rbooth View Post
    I have some that I bought years ago I would part ways with if you really want them.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_boii View Post
    I have the transmission book for 4, 6, and 8 speed transmissions if someone would like to trade info pm me!

Potential Tuner
    I am interested in your books

Tuner
    It i rather surprising that HP or tuning school has not put together a tutorial. Ive been looking for something for the Newish GM Direct Injection V8 and V6 and the 8 speeds. But doesnt seem like there is anything out there. The last thing I want to do is book a class, a flight and hotel to go to a school where its two 8 hour classes of cramming "just do this this and this because I said so" with out any sort of education going on.

At least a book that explains stuff, you can study and make slight adjustments one at a time and see how they reflect. (thats how I learned carbs and suspension...one thing at a time...but ecu's...a single adjustment can make a motor go boom)

I have the gen 5 stuff it’s ok it’s good if don’t know direct injection at all but some of it is miss leading compared to what most are doing now on say wot lambda for peak power when .84 was recommmeded for a long time for boosted applications and now finding that’s a little too rich. So if new to direct injection it can help explain some of it but still lacks so many things when comes to actually tuning the car. How to tune virtual torque or at least how to adjust it is explained which seems to elude a lot of people still to this day. And soi is some what explained but don’t realky give any real world tuning advice. A book more so explaining the fundamentals of direct injection would probably help more then most of these tuning books. My opinion anyway.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Nothing wrong with .84 lambda on a boost rig, if you run it leaner then that your SOI is probably off

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    Just looking for something that is specific to hptuner platform and the Di gm trucks. It’s just Greek to me.

Moving to .87-.88 I have picked up almost 5 mph vrs running .82-.84. On the 4 cylinder turbo stuff seen 30whp going from .84 to .87. Not that I would keep running a car at .90 but seen some cars logs tuned by Justin white he is running lt4s at .90-.92 but also could be why his tuned engines seem to lose head gaskets. My personal experience has been a little leaner when on ethanol and methanol combinations will make quite a bit more power. But on methanol and say ms109 my car didn’t like being leaner then .84-.85. And I haven’t played with 93 only enough to know as not much is staying that way any more and not at least running a methanol kit due to so many fuel system limitations across all engine sizes. 93 only in boosted applications might also like .84 as race fuel was around that range too. Ethanol seems to drive it to like it a little more lean in my experience anyway. Your a lot more seasoned then I am so just sharing what I have come across.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Honestly based way to learn Gen 5 specific stuff is on this forum...
    Hi, how can I contact you? Need to know about email tunes
    Thanks