Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The tuning school books any good?

Tuner
    totally agree

Tuner in Training
    Who's Ed? And where would I find what he does

Tuner
    Ed is a moderator here, his site is here:

http://www.ermperformancetuning.com/

The old books for GEN IV were informative but I got a copy of the GEN V and personally this forum has tons more information that the manual.

Its very basic while I expected it to be like their older manuals

I got the gen 5 book and a quick glance I am seeing a lot of info I couldn't get straight answers about on this forum. A year worth of free updates and ability to email in and get answers is well worth it from what I am seeing so far. As they say you cannot copy these books you can for sure read interpret and write in your own words as these books are setup for teaching from so if they expect you to not buy them then use the info between people they are pretty naive. I found no need to try to split anything. In the end I just reached out to about 8-10 guys I tuned for in the past asked if wanted to chip in 100 bucks to get an update to what I already did for them as I never charged them much of anything in the first place. I do some other cars just to help me learn more for my own stuff. So I get some books and they possibly get a better tune in the end as I learn more.
    The problem with this forum as I can count the threads I started and never got answers on or got half ass answers or get one guy that's serious about helping out and get 100s of views on it. So I saw no other option but to buy these books and take a chance on getting enough from it to make it worth while. It doesn't say anything about reselling them once you got what you wanted out of them. They are tuning cars that make 900whp on stock di fuel systems with no injector or pump changes so I am guessing they figured something out in the tune that a lot of others are struggling with especially atsv that are running out of fuel at 600whp. Things like that I see sections for in here and was told the they are now getting deeper into the turbo stuff and that's what I am most interested in having a 3.6tt in my cts. Hell its only money. Lol
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Tuner in Training
    do you still have the books

Tuner in Training
    Wasn't going to bump the thread until I saw one from 3 days ago lol. If anyone wants to part ways with a transmission or Gen V book, my PayPal account is locked and loaded

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Slow GTO View Post
    Wasn't going to bump the thread until I saw one from 3 days ago lol. If anyone wants to part ways with a transmission or Gen V book, my PayPal account is locked and loaded
    Agreed me too.

I was decent at doing the E38...etc. There is also vastly more info here, however it is spread out over years and thousands of pages....but it is here. In my case I have no idea where to start. With my C-7, I've got it idling and its derivable, fuel trims are close but that's as far as my knowledge has taken me. It is way down on power. I need a guide, i learn by example in some cases. When i had my G8, there was a large tutorial on the G8 board on setup,scanning MAF/VE tuning etc. It was enough for me to get a handle on it. From there I learned enough to figure out what i needed to learn to go further. Here,After getting the basics of idle down, i'm guessing i just got lucky with the rest.I best guessed my VVE table since i'm not sure how to set up for VVE scanning(2.25.....), Just used what i know from calculating Volumetric Efficiency from process flow. From there though it's unknown. Do i work on the VVE then torque or vice versa then WOT? For example, i know how to make custom pid's, but what are some good ones to make for an E90 manual trans?

Seems like there is a lot of reluctance here as well.

I see countless questions asked by somebody who might be a little slow in learning it(as i am) and it's crickets.Then somebody comes along who might be in a click or a little further along ask the same question and then people jump in.

After i figured out how to tune the older PCM's. I would share my tune with somebody less knowledgeable id asked. Sure no 2 tunes are the same, but they can be close and is a good way for some to see the before and after, and also a good way to reverse engineer it to understand the what any why.

I posted my tune, I'm not looking for freebies, what i'm looking for is someone to say you need work here....etc setup a pid etc to look at xxx.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    Your first step is to get off 2.2x software and go to 3.x (I think 3.6 currently?) especially if you're working on a C7. I'm on I-10 traveling from Florida back to Houston so I can't help with PIDs at the moment

Your first step is to get off 2.2x software and go to 3.x (I think 3.6 currently?) especially if you're working on a C7. I'm on I-10 traveling from Florida back to Houston so I can't help with PIDs at the moment
    I have 3.6 and 3.7 BETA, i was just referring to what i learned on is all...just not clear on that

That's part of my point. A lot of changes with very little explanation. Granted the E92 is light years ahead of the E38, some of the fundamentals carry over. However to me the sequence of steps are unclear. As it sits, it drives but is a total turd but i know enough that it is not in any danger of being damaged if driven....been driving it for a month. My Audi TT is getting new cams so it's taking my C-7 garage space.

Heck if i new enough i would take the time to do a beginning to end general tut and post my tune in the repository.

I live in the Friendswood area.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Diamond pistons
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    Oh ok, I was a little confused on the 2.2x part lol. You set up for VVE datalogging very similar to how you would regular VE tuning on the older PCMs. Make an EQ Ratio Error PID and use the VVE table to set your graph points. Have you tuned the MAF yet? I'm in the Humble area

Have not tuned the MAF yet, got it failed out, that's the easy part. All my tuning has been idle and part throttle. Still don't have a wide band on it, getting that next week. Still on stock exhaust as well(yes i know, no time lately and a lot of traveling).Hence the fuel trim tuning.

Have an AFE up front. Regardless of the stock restrictions, more power can be made and further tuning needs to be done. The VVE i understand as well, but my stumbling block is how, where, and when the torque factoring/tuning comes in and what to monitior,log and what kind of calculative pid's to create.The tutorial at the top of this section stops short of going into that.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Diamond pistons
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner
    The ERM books don’t look to cover Gen 5.

There is not "set" way of tuning the torque tables (yet). Tune your MAF and VVE with spark close to where you want it.

If your throttle is not closing or your spark is not getting pulled then you are probably ok with the torque model but if your airflow models are off you can't see where you are with torque.

Good to know, that eliminates that.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Diamond pistons
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    I've done a couple stock/bolt ons LT cars without having to touch the torque tables. Honestly you could have left VVE stock and just made timing/PE/etc changes and tuned the MAF and been perfectly fine. As I'm sure you know, you need the wideband for WOT tuning. Is the cold air all that's done to the car? If so you're creating a lot of unnecessary issues by having the MAF off. I'm finally home, as soon as I get this fresh Windows install going on my old laptop I'll take a look at the tune file you posted

I've done a couple stock/bolt ons LT cars without having to touch the torque tables. Honestly you could have left VVE stock and just made timing/PE/etc changes and tuned the MAF and been perfectly fine. As I'm sure you know, you need the wideband for WOT tuning. Is the cold air all that's done to the car? If so you're creating a lot of unnecessary issues by having the MAF off. I'm finally home, as soon as I get this fresh Windows install going on my old laptop I'll take a look at the tune file you posted
    Thanks,

Been away for a few days. My son got hit by Phosgene gas and was hopsitalized. He is ok but it scared the hell out of my wife and family.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Diamond pistons
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    There is not "set" way of tuning the torque tables (yet). Tune your MAF and VVE with spark close to where you want it.

If your throttle is not closing or your spark is not getting pulled then you are probably ok with the torque model but if your airflow models are off you can't see where you are with torque.
    When i get time off this week i will take it for a spin and watch the throttle. I'm guessing something to the effect of throttle commanded VS actual and make sure timing is not pulled too much?
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Diamond pistons
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    There is a lot of great info out here on v8 stuff but very little on the twin turbo 3.6 in the atsv/cts vsport or the ats/ camaro 2.0t as none of the earlier cobalt stuff really applies to these newer e92/e80 platforms. The e80 should be in every GM how nice would it be to have factory wideband in a z06/zl1 or even lt1 cars? Not sure why 2.0t is the only one to get this setup so far. Anyway just not a lot of info on them and why started searching for books or classes even phone support as the tables the turbo uses isn't applied in you typical n/a or even supercharged car so doesn't get a lot of traction when questions are asked as not many tuning them or just on here asking and answering. A few tables that don't have a lot of explanation that I see some tune but not sure how they reach the values I am seeing used. I have emailed erm so waiting to here back from them now. I am going on two days with no answers from the tuning school so if they cannot even answer an email about the product how can you expect them to help with other issues right away. So not looking good for them when can't answer an email about their products.
    I do have same problem, I have been tuning since 1999 with LS1_EDITOR way before HP_TUNE.
    ATS_V is my first turbo car. attached some tuning to it (reduce gear RPM limit as my son is driving it max: 120KMH)tune 41 16062018 in knock.hpt

Actually it's cammed so i have to deal with the tables. Since my last post here i have modified my VVE tables in the idle area along with my idle and torque settings. My coastdown seems to be much better. Instead of almost stalling, it will slowly ramp down then just a slight bump before it settles and my warm starts fire right up now.

Thanks to the help from TriPinTaz On another post.

Which lead me back to my earlier rant. Honestly only a few people here seem willing to really help out DSTECK,MOWTON and a few other seem to be extremely patient and always willing to help. I really do think some are reluctant to because they think it will hurt their pocket book, when it reality it does the opposite. Most of the real pro's know this. In my filed of work a resume is just a piece of paper, it's your reputation that counts.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Diamond pistons
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7