Thread: LC1/EIO issue

LC1/EIO issue

Having an issue with an LC-1 installed in a customer's car.

The sensor is right before an X-pipe half way down the exhaust stream so I am thinking it should be in a fairly accurate position. The calibration light indicates the LC-1 is operating normally and the PID is setup for the LC-1. The problem I have is that though the car seems to smell extremely rich, the WB indicates an extremely lean condition almost all of the way accross the board (17-21:1 AFR). I'm using the timing and VE table that ran this motor (very well) in an '01 car tuned in CLSD. Otherwise, it is a basic starter OLSD tune. Also, the O2 error hist doesn't seem to be doing anything even though it is an enabled PID. I've chacked for exhaust leaks, fixed one with no change, and still can't seem to get it to respond correctly. It seems like the warmer the car gets, the numbers will drop from around low 20's to the mid to high teens in some areas (not driving around yet just idling and revving) and the car will seem to smell even richer. I've changed the sample rate to 1/12/sec with no avail. In Log Works I see similar readings. Raw Voltage PID seems pegged around 4.80v, occasionally dropping into the 3's when I rev it up a little.

Any help or tips are appreciated. Combo is a mildly aggressive 408 in a '98 F-body.

Thanks,

John

Senior Tuner
    Are you sure the LC-1 isn't programmed with an
    upside-down transfer curve, or something? Seems
    like it is responding in a normal sort of way; maybe
    it got programmed with 5V=10:1 and 0=20:1, or
    in the lambda mode, high voltage = high lambda,
    or something. Can you do a readback, or just use
    LogWorks to stuff into it, the same characteristic
    as HPTuners' PID default?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    Are you sure the LC-1 isn't programmed with an
    upside-down transfer curve, or something? Seems
    like it is responding in a normal sort of way; maybe
    it got programmed with 5V=10:1 and 0=20:1, or
    in the lambda mode, high voltage = high lambda,
    or something. Can you do a readback, or just use
    LogWorks to stuff into it, the same characteristic
    as HPTuners' PID default?
    Curve is right, but I hadn't checked that when I changed the sample rate so I appreciate the suggestion.

Not sure what you mean by reading back. The characteristics are similar both in LogWorks and the PID or I would just suspect the PID config was wrong (if that is what you mean).

There is possibility of maybe a pinhole-sized exhaust leak (nothing audible), but I dont see that being enough of an issue to sway it this much.

Also--Occasionally when I first start the car up (after the status light goes solid like always) I will get readings in the 11:1 range (where I suspect the car is running--eyes burn ) for a few seconds and then they will just climb on up lean as hell.

Odd,

I ADDED Fuel in the VE only to see the A/F numbers get HIGHER (pegged 22:1 most everywhere now). It almost does act backward even though it isn't.

I'm now just monitoring in LogWorks and still having the same issue meaning the problem is in the LC1. I have switched O2's and controllers. I've been on with the tech support at Innovate all day and they have verified its installed correctly and programmed properly. However, they have me ground everything together which I have heard can cause interference. I am now going to attempt to simply move the sensor further foward using the factory O2 bung. Kinda my last resort unless anyone else has run into this problem.

so I need to find out a few things..I can usually help trouble shoot some things...
    do you have an LED connected?
    all grounds except for heater ground should go to the EIO

how did you do your sensor calibration...(free air..completely out of teh exhaust..or just in the pipes after not driving it for a while(may need a full recalibration is what I'm getting at)
    feel free to PM me..and I'll send a phne #..walk through some things..try to help you sort it out..
    -Scott -

Did you try the reset business?
    ie. disconnect sensor (in free air) power ON > code 2 for 10-15 seconds
    Power off, reconnect sensor Power ON> wait for steady LED

I had something similar once and it was due to the damn recal button getting bumped unknowingly with the engine running
    The above procedure fixed MY issue (until recently when my analog inputs both decided to crap out)

HTH
    WopOnTour

Thanks guys,

Figured out it was a number of things that just weren't going my way that day.

a) moved sensor up into LH header--more responsive and started making alot more sense
    b) found an exhaust leak--Fixed
    c) The car was actually REAL lean on that VE table--Fixed.

Now I'm just trying to configure the AFR error % PID to make the tuning go a little quicker.

Any tips on how to get it working? Im just seeing all zero's. I'm in OLSD trying to just get the difference from a target vs. my WB, not any closed loop narrow band error %'s.

Thanks,

John

Try this, and ensure that your w/b IO is showing afr in the units field.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by ZOSlow
    Thanks guys,

Figured out it was a number of things that just weren't going my way that day.

a) moved sensor up into LH header--more responsive and started making alot more sense
    b) found an exhaust leak--Fixed
    c) The car was actually REAL lean on that VE table--Fixed.

Now I'm just trying to configure the AFR error % PID to make the tuning go a little quicker.

Any tips on how to get it working? Im just seeing all zero's. I'm in OLSD trying to just get the difference from a target vs. my WB, not any closed loop narrow band error %'s.

Thanks,

John
    Sorry for the really dumb post, when I posted I didn't realize I had the wrong config pulled up and didn't have commanded AFR on the PID list--Doh...pretend I never posted, lol.

Senior Tuner
    Also be sure to just ignore it entirely while the AIR pump
    is running.

or set Airpump to a high enable temp..or just disconnect the connector from the air pump so that it does not come on
    -Scott -