Thread: Transmission calling for 1st gear at 70+mph

Transmission calling for 1st gear at 70+mph

Need some help with this one, I've started recently having this issue where the car will be in 3rd gear and upshift to 4th under a moderate amount of throttle and as soon as i give it a little more tword WOT throttle in 4th it wants to downshift but seems to get lost and call for 1st. I can't seem to figure out what's causing it. Anyone have any suggestions before I blow this trans up? I kinda suspect maybe the trans is slipping causing it to freak out and get a false calculated gear ratio close to 2nd and so when it downshifts it goes for 1st?

4th>1st shift at 10:23:19
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bbrooks98; 06-28-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Looks like fourth is slipping and you are getting false calculated gear ratio.

A holding clutch has more strength than a driving clutch. A drives, B drives, C holds, D holds, E drives. B and C are the Rear number 2 sun gear and D and E are the rear planetary gear.

In first you have element A applied. This connects the front planetary gear to the number 3 sun gear. Element E and B are not applied so the rear planetary gear is held by D and the rear number 2 sun gear by C.
    In fourth you have element A applied. This connects the front planetary gear to the number 3 sun gear. Element E is applied so the rear planetary gear is driven and D is not holding. B is not applied so rear number 2 sun gear is held by C.
    E is the main overdrive clutch for 4,5,6 like A is for 1,2,3 and the weak link of the 6R80. You may have damaged the E clutch. Try setting the boost times for D and E back to stock or so that E is shorter than D above 4000.