Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 0411 Swap on Vortec 454

DanSpeed1, how you getting along with this? Find any solutions?
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutchinson View Post
    DanSpeed1, how you getting along with this? Find any solutions?
    Hey,

Got side tracked with a couple of other things but have been working on the car daily. I haven't had an opportunity to update this thread but if you want, check this out...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-chevelle.html

I laid off the Knock sensors for now. I am working on getting the fuel system together. We just finished installing the 12 bolt rear, but I am having an issue with the Wilwood Brakes. Apparently the axles we have aren't designed for the wildwood brakes. Thankfully Wilwood is sending out spacers free of charge, so I should be able to get the rear wheels on the car in the next couple of days.

Unrelated and un-necessary, but we scored a Steeroids Rack and Pinion setup for cheap off ebay. So that's getting installed as well. This project was never intended to be so complex but its all coming together nicely. Unfortunately I am going to miss my deadline and miss a car show I was really hoping to go to this year, BUT we will be discussing one additional add on coming up very shortly.

I am considering adding a low boost turbo to the mix. Like I said.... Considering..

I will update this thread with pics as soon as I can!

Dan

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutchinson View Post
    Just looking at your pics (above) again DanSpeed1,....you've probably already looked at this and crossed it off the "possibilities" list,.....

But, is there enough metal "meat" on your engine mount to cut away a little crescent shape to make room for the sensor? If so, that'll be a somewhat easy fix,....remove Motor mount bolts, loosen trans mount bolts, jack the engine up a bit, pull the engine mount and hack it up to fit,.....remembering to leave yourself enough space for engine flexing when you rev it up. I can't tell from the pic angle how close/how it's arranged in there in relation to plugged port.

Just a thought,....which I'm sure you've already looked at.

I actually might do that, and might be able to get away with grinding out a notch. I am going to look into that further and I will post back. First though I need to get this fuel system installed.

Dan

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomEnthusiast View Post
    If Danspeed has a tune he's going to use it would be awesome if he could post it and I'll look into finding out how to play with sensitivity and all that fun stuff for setting up the 2 wire knock sensor.
    I'm not there yet but I'm going to hold you to that LOL! I plan on posting most of my stuff online in the hopes that more experienced tuners will jump in with input. I have tuned a couple of N/A Cars and I've been very successful but you know this car is going to throw a curve ball.

Thanks,

Dan

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    I'll try my best to figure out how it works. I'm no super tuner but I can figure out how stuff works usually.

Potential Tuner
    So I'd like to jump in if possible with a few questions of my own. Please bear with me. What parts exactly would i need to change on my 2000 454 in order to convert from blackbox to 411 pcm. Thank you so much for the help with this. Forgot to mention 2000 chevy k2500 obs... 4l80e trans

Tuner
    I'm back. This project is not dead yet...

Sorry I've been gone. Been trying to survive the DEEP never ending freeze here. I have some picture for you guys and a list of things that have been done.

To date:

The rear end has been installed (12 bolt rear, powder coated, posi 3.73 gears, and willwood disc brake upgrade) sucked up quite a bit of fund!
    The FLT trans is in. What a beautiful piece, can't wait to run it
    Upgraded Driveshaft is in. Looks like its out of a Mack truck. Its the biggest driveshaft I've even seen in my life
    Rear suspension is all brand new and fully adjustable (this is something that was not in the plans but here it is)
    Edge 3200 9.5in stall converter is in
    Rack and pinion steering upgrade (this was supposed to be a kit but turned out to be a rack... and a bunch of stuff we had to piece together from various outlets)
    The harness had to be modified to fit the big block and the cam position sensor connector, and a few other misc connectors had to be changed to make it work
    The engine is 99% complete
    Tach is wired to ECU
    And I began to machine the spacer to fit the 24x Reluctor to the front of the engine
    Overkill fuel system and e85 flex sensor is 50% complete

Due to the steering setup, rear end, and overkill fuel system the turbo idea is going on the back burner for a little while. We may switch over to a procharger to be honest. There is still a lot of little things to be done BUT the best part is coming up now. I was able to get the ECU wired up correctly and removed the tune from it. It comes back to a 2001 5.3 Vortec with a 4L60e. I posted this question on facebook as well but I haven't received an answer yet so I am hoping someone on here might have a good idea. The ECU I have is a P01. It is not a flex fuel tune. I have a flex fuel tune for a Vortec 5.3 from the Repository. I am trying to figure out if my best course of action is to flash the whole tune to the ECU or Segment Swap the Engine section? I am leaning towards Segment swapping, because it is my understanding that in order to flash the ECU with a new tune file I will need to license my tune file AND the one I am going to flash (4 credits). Where as, with the segment swap all I have to do is license mine. Then I will change the firing order, the displacement, and try and blend in the MAF and MAP tables from a 2000 Vortec 7400 as best I can. Is this a good plan of attack or does anyone have any better ideas?

Potential Tuner
    was there a reason to start with the 5.3 bin? Other 0411 swap i have read about say to start with an ecm from an 01-2 chevy express 3500 5.7/4l80e or the bin.

Tuner
    Yes. The reason to start with the 5.3 bin was to take advantage of the Flex Fuel Capability. Above everything I want to be able to fill up with a combination of 93 octane and E85. I am not sure what the compression ratio of the engine is but I am assuming since it was built as a high performance NA motor it probably has higher than ideal CR. If I can take advantage of the benefits of E85, when I add 7-10psi of boost It should eat it right up safely. Also I am running a 4L60e and not a 4L80e

Tuner in Training
    Im doing the same kind of build on my 454 winnebago.

i see you had to make a reluctor plate for the balancer, were you able to use the cam reluctor or did you use something in the distributor input area? looks like a 8.1 cam reluctor thats like a distributor ?

Potential Tuner
    Danspeed1 any updates on your project?
    Im doing an 0411 conversion to a 65 AMC 327 BB eng. w/ a Ford 5 spd. ZF trans and a disk converted triangulated 4link 4.10 14bolt rear w/Detroit locker
    Its all going into a 53 olds 88 Delux 2 dr. Pillar car.
    My ratrod
    Yes it is trly a ratrod the trunk and back seat were a giant pack rats nest when i got it