Thread: 2.4L Z24 Cavalier idle problems

Potential Tuner

2.4L Z24 Cavalier idle problems

Hi everyone,

I am trying to tune my z24 cavalier with a super charged LD9. It has the secret cam swap, bigger crank pulley, smaller super charger pulley. I am trying to get the car to idle properly but am having two issues. One is that on decel, when I push in the clutch it always stalls (99% of the time, sometimes it recovers). Two is that when I give it gas, it almost stalls before taking off. If anyone could help a total noob, that would be greatly appreciated. I have the tune and a few logs below.

chris_7_2_17.hpt
    stalling.hpl
    stalling2.hpl

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    check your afr when coasting down in gear. depending on which way it is going you can add or remove fuel from the low rpm coast down table to help correct heavy afr offsets on the way back to idle. going to stoich with this table will cause that nasty deceleration popping that srt-4's are known for. leaning the table out some can keep the noise down and save fuel. for me, this ecu is super crude for boost. it can be done but factoring limited options for adjust-ability i would adjust it for whatever is smoothest operating.

turn your DEFCO settings off when tuning the fuel maps. DEFCO is a hard coded cylinder disable.....tuning with it on causes errors in the ve table.
    your power enrichment settings are commanding roughly 13:1 afr at enabled pe. going to want to visit those values running boost. best way to set that up is:
    **assuming stock compression max boost would be 8-10 psi and you would want to start to make it richer than N/A afr by roughly 3 psi boost. find out at what rpm your supercharger is averaging that boost limit then keep it in mind. for this example we will say it hits fairly quick boost around 2800 rpm. well say the 5 psi threshold is 3600 rpm.**
    set afr pe value to 12.3 for safe n/a afr. then open multiplier by rpm table and modify the multiplier such that when teh psi threshold of rpm average is 2800 you change the modifier from 1.0 to .951. as the boost gets to 5 psi on average at 3600 rpm then drop the modifier value to .918. highlight all cells from 2800-3600 in the modify by rpm table and interpolate data along horizontal bounds.
    you main spark and ho spark tables are pretty rough. they shouldn't be wandering from -10 to -6 and then back to -10 as rpm changes. these tables should be smooth. for best idle recovery try blending the map values around 1000 rpm to match the idle spark table. running lower advance on deceleration helps slow the engine down but running to heavy on that reduction can cause overshooting of deceleration which leads to stalling as the ecu can throw enough low idle spark error correction in to recover from the event.

Its going to take time to blend the system into the correct settings that prevent it from causing all these issues. Keep in mind your working with an ecu that is not designed for boost so there are going to be trade-offs as you go with tuning the system.
    The map sensor is only used for specific tables and is only good to about 14.6 psi of boost. anything over that will require the ecu to be scaled which is a pita and reduces the quality of blending in the ecu. everything else is based off rpm and tps (alpha-n code)

If you can get used to setting up filters in the scanner that will just benefit you. a lot to take in on this ecu when trying to code for parameters normally outside its intended capability.
    here is an example of pe modifications (keep in mind these aren't going to be exact or whats best for you but it shows the idea of how its setup to run n/a until boost hits.)
    pe testing.png

Here is an additional spark edit and blend example i found:
    Spark Testing.jpg
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 07-03-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Set your idle spark higher, works for me every time. I tune a ton of 2.2 eco and 2.3/2.4 quad dirt track cars, and we try to hide to lope, roguh idle as bets as possible. This does that, makes it idle smooth, return to idle, and not hang as long as you don't put it to high. start at about 15* in the "Idle Spark Advance" Base timing table.

On a second look, did you do anything to this file? A lot needs help. If you need anything, please let me know, glad to help.