Thread: Command line video creation

Potential Tuner

Command line video creation

I recently purchased RaceRender3 and am really enjoying the high quality data overlay in combination with my 10hz GPS receiver and Harry's laptimer!

One major annoyance, however, is creating the final merged video files. At the end of a track weekend, I will process all of my files to create 15-20 .rrp files - one for each session. I usually get into a rhythm and knock them out pretty quickly, so I'm happy with that process. To turn these .rrp files into videos that I can upload to YouTube, however, I have to individually open each one, click the "Create Video" button and wait 15-25 minutes before doing that again. Obviously, we can't reduce the time it takes to render, but I'd like to batch this process together so that I don't have to come back to my computer every 20 minutes to start the next video export.

Is there a command line interface where I could process an .rrp file, for example "raceRender3 --process MyProject.rrp --output MyProject.mp4" which would use all the default settings and trim the video at the start/finish flags? Alternatively, is there a way I can open all of my projects at once and start them exporting concurrently?

Just trying to avoid "babysitting" this process for the whole day...

I've searched the Internet and these forums and have not found any clues. I'm using a Mac.

While there's not a way to script the overall operation of the software, it is possible to launch multiple instances of RaceRender and have them rendering at the same time.

Two things to watch out for, though:

1) Obviously, performance will be slower when doing multiple renders. This may become a problem if you load it down too much, as some components or tasks could time out, causing incomplete or wrong rendering. How much is "too much" depends on your project and your system's performance, but generally it should take quite a bit before I'd expect this to happen.

2) This will make a mess of the diagnostic logging, and therefore crash recovery, so you may be effectively operating without these features. Ignore any crash recovery prompt that may appear.

On a Mac, you can launch multiple instances of the application by going to the terminal command line and typing:
    Code:
    open -n -a "RaceRender 3"
    (repeat that command for as many instances of RaceRender as you want to have running)