Thread: 2009 5.7 hemi truck trans issue

Tuner in Training

2009 5.7 hemi truck trans issue

Have a customer truck that was taken to the dealer because it wouldn't shift past 3rd gear (5spd auto). the dealer told them that its in the programming and it needs to be told that its an auto trans. So I download the tune and sure enough, a580 equipped was set to disable (all the trans were set to disable for some reason). I set a580 to enable, re wrote the tune into the truck.
    now the issue is at roughly 1/4 throttle it shifts through all the gears just fine. but you give it say 1/2 throttle and the traction control light comes on and the truck will not up shift past 3rd. pull over, turn truck off, turn it back on and the light is gone and will shift as long as you don't give it much throttle. very strange. I also noticed that in the editor on this file I pretty much have zero tuning available for the trans. doesn't make sense. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sooooo, is this truck procharged? Sounds like you may have some torque limiting happening. I can't look at the tune on the computer I'm on right now.

Tuner in Training
    yes, its procharged. but there are pretty much zero things in the trans tables to tune. doesnt make sense.

Tuner in Training
    Having this same issue with another 2009 Ram 5.7. Does HPTuners not have any other tables for this transmission?

Have you messed around with this some more? Do you have the stock tune? It's hard to tell what has been changed and knowing if you changed the torque per cylinder, power %, or friction torque model. You may have to mess with these tables as with Dodge if it doesn't like what it's "calculating" the TC light will flash and close the TB.

Senior Tuner
    What version software are you running?
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Also, The A580 uses a separate TCM so you will need to re-read the truck and pull both files, if it is seeing the TCM properly.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    Just curious but my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7L has the 545RFE Transmission not the A580 maybe that is incorrect? Also I had the same issue after updating to the 3.6v where all my transmission tables disappeared. I Emailed Support and after talking to them you posted a new version to my profile and all my tables were back under a different version.

Advanced Tuner
    Is it throwing any DTC's when it goes limp?

Tuner in Training
    i dont have the stock file as that vehicle was purchased through an auction. im using the latest software also. i dont have the vehicle here anymore so i cant try anything different . i just thought it was very odd that there was little to no trans tuning in that file.

Tuner in Training
    I am willing to bet that the issue is that the A580 needs to be set to disable because it is actually a 545RFE transmission. After doing a quick dig and research the 4th Gen Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi was never offered with the A580 Transmission so it would have to be the 545RFE Trans unless someone did a swap. I had the same issue after the 3.6v update where I could no longer see the transmission tables for the 545RFE and 65RFE transmissions. I emailed support and they were able to put together a BETA for me and I can now see the tables.
    Last edited by TuscaniGTSC2; 07-14-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TuscaniGTSC2 View Post
    I am willing to bet that the issue is that the A580 needs to be set to disable because it is actually a 545RFE transmission. After doing a quick dig and research the 4th Gen Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi was never offered with the A580 Transmission so it would have to be the 545RFE Trans unless someone did a swap. I had the same issue after the 3.6v update where I could no longer see the transmission tables for the 545RFE and 65RFE transmissions. I emailed support and they were able to put together a BETA for me and I can now see the tables.
    Yea, I didn't catch that in the first post...I read the "A580 set to disable" and thought...well it should be...totally missed the "I enabled it" part, ha. Yea Ram's never came with a NAG (A580), someone posted that it has a separate TCM and to re-read, NAG equipped vehicles do but Ram's do not.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    Yea, I didn't catch that in the first post...I read the "A580 set to disable" and thought...well it should be...totally missed the "I enabled it" part, ha. Yea Ram's never came with a NAG (A580), someone posted that it has a separate TCM and to re-read, NAG equipped vehicles do but Ram's do not.
    i gotcha. so if thats the case then, under the trans section>general, the 3 options that are there are------manual trans, a580 equipped, 4 speed trans-----all those should be set to disable. oh, and the vcm version im using is 3.6.5. in any case, there are no transmission parameters to adjust or "play" with.

Tuner in Training
    i just updated to the newest verson vcm, now it says im using version 3.6.26.

I noticed that to...so I got scared and aborted...haha