Thread: DFCO automatic?

DFCO automatic?

Hey guys

I have a customer here who wants a few more pops on decel. No matter what i do with the DFCO setting i am unble to activate it.
    Is it true that DFCO will only activate on a automatic when the converter is locked?

Car has an ls1, full 3inch exhaust. large cam, etc

I have only played around with increasing Popping on manual vehicles

And to be honest most of my customers want me to remove the popping

Thanks in advance

Anyone?

Tuner in Training
    After watching how my dfco works. It does seem like it only works when the converter is locked

Advanced Tuner
    Never noticed that, one of my scans shows this to be true.

One thing I learned can be done to lock the converter in slower traffic is to leave cruise control stock. This way I can lock it in 3rd at a low speed. But obviously it turns off when the brake is applied.

Maybe for your customer you can add a performance mode button that only lets the converter stay locked longer.

First of all, how are you guys keeping the converter locked in decel? My computer hasn't let me do that yet with the 4l80e.
    And what do you refer to when you say "cruise control" is there a setting in the software that refers to?

Second, I have seen DFCO happen during an unlocked coast situation. I do NOT understand what the settings refer to it in the software as (Two maps for KPA that don't make sense?) but I was able to see the timing effect it has and injector pulse drop very low when I lift.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    First of all, how are you guys keeping the converter locked in decel? My computer hasn't let me do that yet with the 4l80e.
    And what do you refer to when you say "cruise control" is there a setting in the software that refers to?

Second, I have seen DFCO happen during an unlocked coast situation. I do NOT understand what the settings refer to it in the software as (Two maps for KPA that don't make sense?) but I was able to see the timing effect it has and injector pulse drop very low when I lift.
    For some reason the 4L80E vehicles I've owned or ever driven or tuned, they always unlock the tcc during decel. I've never seen anything in tuning about it including Moates APU1 tuner for OBD1 vehicles.

When I say cruise control I mean that switch on the turn signal lever, you know, it lets you drive without your foot on the gas pedal. It's possible to engage cruise control and drive normally until you hit the brake pedal. I accidentally found that this can be used to alter shift points and tcc lock up, for example if you change your shift points and tcc apply/release, there are separate tables for shift points and tcc apply/release when cruise control is active. Not the op's answer. But if someone was looking to keep the tcc locked longer, or at different times than the normal programming a performance mode button can be added usually. Then only the tcc apply/release speeds could be changed in the performance tables.

Today I locked the converter with the scanner and it stayed locked during decel. The computer wont do it though.

I hooked up the brake switch just to see, and it does nothing. converter doesn't unlock when you touch the brake (I read this is accurate) and it always unlocks when you decell, whether braking or not. I can just add a switch right? Its a ground or something?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    Today I locked the converter with the scanner and it stayed locked during decel. The computer wont do it though.

I hooked up the brake switch just to see, and it does nothing. converter doesn't unlock when you touch the brake (I read this is accurate) and it always unlocks when you decell, whether braking or not. I can just add a switch right? Its a ground or something?
    You should start your own thread about this. Someone reading "DFCO automatic" isn't going to click on it to help with what you've got going on.

Tuner in Training
    I haven't ran a log lately, but I'm pretty sure when my torque converter unlocks, my vacuum changes and it no longer meets what I have it set at to engage. I think I unlock my converter at 45