Thread: Random missing cam sensor signal.

Tuner in Training

Random missing cam sensor signal.

So I put a Katech torquer cam in this 15 corvette and it sometimes misses the cam signal. Seems to come and go and gets worse the warmer the engine gets.

I did a CASE learn and that didn't help. Cut the filter open and its sparkly clean. Put a new cam sensor, harness, and new position actuator and no luck. We just took the front cover back off and don't see anything funny going on.

You can see it in the tach on the dash when this happens fairly easily and it seems like it messes up as the oil pressure is coming back down.

It starts having the problem around when it gets to 189f.

Anyone else have this problem before or is it in the calibration if I can even call it that?

MSD manifold
    Catless Kooks
    Katech 103mm Throttle body
    Afe cai
    Katech torque cam and PSI beehives

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've seen this exact problem before actually in the past. I think the culprit ended up being a damaged harness or bad PCM. I'll Shoot you a PM with who you might contact to get the exact fix to the problem because I might be speaking incorrectly.
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

Tuner in Training
    I have same issue on a c7, p0340 after an hour of driving, checked cam sensor wiring and all looks good, I can watch the cam count on the scanner, oil pressure is 30+ when it happens so I don't think its a phaser issue.

What was the fix for this issue? I am having the same problem with my 2015 C7. Msd intake katech 103mm TB TS0 EL C7 cam

Advanced Tuner
    I noticed a post the other day of someone having the oil pressure go constant high and and someone mentioned the connector at the bottom front of the engine there is common to have an issue. I personally have not had an issue with that connector, but the cam sensor routes through that connector too, so worth checking out...

Tuner in Training
    Hey guys, I'm having a P0340 on 2, 2015 Engines that I did a DOD delete. 1 is a 2015 GMC w/ 6.2L. The other is a 2015 Tahoe w/ 5.3L. I only changed the cam, lifters, lifter buckets, and got rid of the VLOM(top plate). Same phaser, timing cover, harness & sensors.
    I noticed antifreeze got in the main cam sensor harness plug in below the timing cover. I thought I blew all the antifreeze out once installing everything, so I thought. The cam sensor would count at first. However the longer you drive, the cam sensor will stop counting. Sometimes it'll start back counting, and sometimes it won't, until it cools off over night.
    I started checking the big plug in below the timing cover. I didn't see any wires, or pins bent, broken, or pushed out. I blew in the harness plug in with an air hose, and antifreeze went everywhere. I guess I just didn't blow it out good enough the first time. I sprayed electrical cleaner in both plug in's, and blew them with an air hose until dry. I applied a little electrical grease, and problem solved. I drove the vehicle for an hour while watching the cam count. The Tahoe does have a Bank 2 LTFT imbalance code P219B. Customer after 3 weeks finally found the time to bring it back for me to check that code, and I noticed it was hard to start again. No cam count again. Wtf!!!
    The main harness plug in below the timing cover where the cam sensor pig tail harness plug's together is a bitch! It's fastened to steel bracket that bolt's to the timing cover, and is a mfr to unplug without it coming loose from the steel bracket.

If anyone has had problems with this same issue, I'd really appreciate your advise. I'm ready to pull my 1 hair out , that I have left. Haha.

Tuning Addict
    The coolant is actually pretty common on these and more so on the vette's - just make sure you either cap the connector or clean it out really good like you did. I've even seen people wind up having to replace parts of the harness's. Once it's in there - it's hard to get out of the wires...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. The customer's gonna bring it back sometime for me to check it out again. Hopefully I can figure out what's causing this. I never thought about the coolant soaking into the wires, and inside their insulation, but that is possible. In the future, I think I'll put a zip lock bag with a rubber band over the connector to keep the coolant out. I hope it didn't damage the ecu.

I appreciate your response, and advice.