Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nomenclature, If you can point me I will read

Tuner in Training

Nomenclature, If you can point me I will read

Being a GM engineer / Dealer trainer for over 20 years, I understand the platforms, devices, etc What I need help with is how some of the HP Tuner nomenclature applies to the 4T45E in the Chevy Cobalt. Specifically Normal, vs pattern A and Pattern B. Then Normal vs D2 vs D1. Lastly, does the Cobalt 4T45E only use pattern X? I like to read and don't mind trying different settings but until I know exactly what applies to the Cobalt 4T45E I am going through more fuel than I care to .

Thank you
    Last edited by HGT; 07-07-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone point me to where I can find this info?

Tuner in Training
    No one?

Tuner in Training
    I dont think the info exists on here. For whatever reason nobody ever answers anything about the 4t45e based vehicles. If they do know there not on here talking about it after they figure something out. I just tuned a car with a 4t45e and for all "D" purposes all it used was the values for all the PATTERN X settings. However these did not stay true when manually shifted to I or L it was using different tables that i never ended up figuring out because it just didnt make sense at the time and i didnt have time to test extremes to see what effected what tables its looking at when the shifter is in anything other then drive. There seems to be a ton of variables that has no resources out there to read upon. So as far as i do i just go one car at a time and test things little by little until i find what im looking for with blind guesses basically lol. For example it would be great to know "hey when your car is manually put into L your using the pattern Z mappings as they have values as well unlike "Y" however thats not the case sadly. Always an annoying guessing game in my book.

Basically put most of the info and variables ive used in the past on them ive gotten from generic searches and comparisons of other cars from the repository using the T42, GM A4 TCM and how it applies itself to them vs the car im tuning. Have figured out most stuff doing that along with educated guesses but theres still a lot thats a mystery

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for validating the I and L experience. I was told there wasn't a difference yet there is in my experience also. I go through a lot of fuel finding what has what affect and don't like doing WOT shifts just for the hell of it. Obviously RPM and MPH settings are not exact depending on the rate of rise and that even takes time to dial in exactly where you want it. Torque is way off even when you log it and adjust for it.

I'll keep testing and burning fuel.

Tuner in Training
    i agree its extremely frustrating trying to find the right TQ because as you said even when logged for its like the ecm doesnt use the "calculated tq" to even refrence the tables leaving you to guess until its right. The first few i did was trying to find a decent cutoff point on part throttle tq for shift pressures and commanded times to make them comfortable like stock when not into the gas however it seemed to vary not only pull to pull but with the cars themselves making this even more difficult to pinpoint.

Im doing another tomorrow and if i come up with anything conclusive ill check back in here as far as tq cutoffs and what tables are being referenced during I and L shift parameters. In my last case i did pattern X and pattern Z exacly the same but when in I or L it shifted much much harder into 2nd and was sqwaking tires whereas drive was a nice firm smooth shift. The only thing ive heard from others is in L it is also applying the intermediate band in the trans during the shift and in drive it doesnt. Though that is a possibility why would it default to doing that would be the question, just the shift selector inside the trans being in a different spot then D forces this mechanically? I dont think thats the case from being inside one.

I been trying to figure this out as well since i started tuning my 2009 auto g5. I still havent found a good part throttle shift to second, it hits pretty hard and highering shift time makes the car feel like trans is slipping. I never got anything than using pattern x, because the other tables i made changes to did not seem to affect anything. There are so many tables and its hard for me to believe we can only adjust one. I hope we can find some info soon lol

Did you try messing with the tables labeled D2 and D1? I was going to try those to see if the are for L and I. I also read that pattern z was for I and L but i still always felt L shifts to second harder thatn D

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasquezz1228 View Post
    I been trying to figure this out as well since i started tuning my 2009 auto g5. I still havent found a good part throttle shift to second, it hits pretty hard and highering shift time makes the car feel like trans is slipping.
    Post your Pattern X shift times and pressures. I have a great daily driver shift vs WOT shift

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by HGT View Post
    Post your Pattern X shift times and pressures. I have a great daily driver shift vs WOT shift
    Im sorry but wouldnt it be the other way around? lol. You should attach the tune or some screenshots of your tables to see what you used as a cutoff for casual vs wot on them.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Builtperformance View Post
    Im sorry but wouldnt it be the other way around? lol. You should attach the tune or some screenshots of your tables to see what you used as a cutoff for casual vs wot on them.
    It would be better if I looked at his times and pressures then if he copied my Supercharged 2.4L at 6200' ASL. data.
    My tune is already public on HP Tuners site.

Times.JPG
    Pressure.JPG
    Last edited by HGT; 07-19-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Tuner in Training
    ah okay didnt do any more looking for anything. So in your experience using the 221ft lb and over mark for wot has worked out for your supercharged application? Obviously NA will be lower in the calculated tq mine has been a toss up around the 133 mark ive been using on an LE5 and 111 on L61s but its a bit hit or miss for whatever reason for each pull, each car of course.

Tuner in Training
    That's where it needed to be although anything above 200 ft lb I am needing firm shifts. As we have found out, the calculated torque isn't exact at all nor when it occurs. I had my shift times and pressures set at a lower torque based on scan data and I was getting to hard of shifts commuting which is why I have changes now starting at 221. You definitely can't run the same times and pressures for all 3 shifts which is why a shift box with multiple settings gives you 3 different shifts for 1 through 4. It commands one change but they are not identical in design in the transmission.

Here are the way my tables are set. i dont think i changed the pressure, might still be stock. I only reduced shift time for 1-2 and 2-3. 3-4 i left stock since im not going WOT to 4th. Also, i have shift points set at 6600 rpm 1-2, 6500 rpm 2-3, and 6400 rpm 3-4.

BTW i saw your post on CSS.net and did not know you were the same person. Let me know what you think of the shift time i have set.

G5shifttime12.PNG
    G5shiftpresssure.PNG

Edit: Have you compared the SS HHR auto tables with ours?? It looks like the HHR only uses Pattern X. and for shift rpm and speed it looks like they use both pattern a and pattern b. Although im not sure is the HHR SS comes with a performance mode. The shift pressures are very different from my stock tables. Also looks like the tune i got from the repository also has TUTD as the settings are set for it.
    Last edited by Vasquezz1228; 07-21-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Tuner in Training
    These were my OEM shift times and pressures.

30j7h37.jpg
    262644z.jpg

I haven't really been able to use anyone's tunes etc. as I am at 6200' ASL. I looked at the HHR trans settings but still had to find my own torques values.

What year is your vehicle? Mines an 09 and the torque values match the hhr ss. Maybe they made changes to the software in later years.

Tuner in Training
    2008 Sport

Tuner in Training
    I contemplated a new steering wheel with the paddle shifters but just couldn't get myself to do it. If we had that Go-Cart 90 degree lock to lock radius it may work but boy would that be a difficult daily driver so I went without and will now start modifying the shift console. I hope this Malibu wheel is a direct fit.

s-l500.png

2008 Sport
    Weird. I also have a G5 GT 2008 and the tables match my 2009 G5. I actually had to change the tables column labels to match the HHR SS on my 09. Besides that, everything matched.

I contemplated a new steering wheel with the paddle shifters but just couldn't get myself to do it. If we had that Go-Cart 90 degree lock to lock radius it may work but boy would that be a difficult daily driver so I went without and will now start modifying the shift console. I hope this Malibu wheel is a direct fit.
    I used a 2007 Malibu wheel on my 09 g5 and was a direct fit. Any reason why you got one? I thought the sport cobalt already came with leather wheel.

Tuner in Training
    I used a 2007 Malibu wheel on my 09 g5 and was a direct fit. Any reason why you got one? I thought the sport cobalt already came with leather wheel.
    Mine was chewed up on top and the rest of the interior has been replaced with new or redone..... Figured I had better get a new one before I can't.

Tuner in Training
    Weird. I also have a G5 GT 2008 and the tables match my 2009 G5. I actually had to change the tables column labels to match the HHR SS on my 09. Besides that, everything matched.

Damn... 10-12 Malibu does not fit an 08 cobalt. Still looking.

2008 Cobalt Leather.jpg
    Malibu.jpg