Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C7 z06 torque management

Tuner in Training

C7 z06 torque management

I am tuning a 2015 Z06 and struggling with the torque management. I have tried raising the values but the car is not going wot for an entire dyno pull. I have messed around with the driver demand and virtual torque with little success. I was able to stop it from pulling rediculous spark by adjusting the virtual torque but the throttle is still closing even with the values in driver demand raised significantly. What is the proper way to adjust these tables? Do you typically use the dyno to get the actual torque figure? I will post my file and log later when I get to my computer. I've also noticed I have knock that I can't seem to get rid of. It's my understanding this may be do to the SOI being to low or "late". Is this likely the cause? How do you go about adjusting these values. I am hesitant to change them and unsure how much they need to be changed. Thanks in advance for any help!

Gen 5 is no cake walk!! Post the file

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Ya sure seems like it so far. I'm def sure my tables would be considered "butchered" at this point. I raised the values a bunch in hopes it would give me an idea if that were the right direction but no luck. I'll post it up in a few hours when I get to my tuning computer. Thanks in advance!

Tuner in Training
    2015z06.hpt

here is the file

Tuner in Training
    Bump

I would max out your max engine torque per gear tables. Early on, when that table was not defined, we would have to lower the torque output to "trick" the ecm to keep the throttle open on the manual LT4 cars.
    I see you raised it, but that may not be enough.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    Which tables are you referring to? The only table I see in torque management that is based on gear is the "mapped gear" table, which doesnt appear to have torque values. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by atomic vette View Post
    Which tables are you referring to? The only table I see in torque management that is based on gear is the "mapped gear" table, which doesnt appear to have torque values. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!
    Under tq management!! Far left side upper left corner!! Max it out (you can these values) other wise have to lower commanded tq to stay under the 640lb tq limit imposed on stock cal

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    Thank you!

Tuner in Training
    upping the torque per gear table did seem to fix most of the throttle issues. Although the ecu still does not allow full throttle until 2500rpm, but from reading other posts it seems like this may not be fixable. Are there any draw backs to maxing this table? Will it effect any other functions of the ecu negatively, such as Traction control? The next issue I am running into is some sort of "phantom knock retard" No matter what is done with the timing and fueling knock retard will occur at loads over .6 g/cyl. I read some posts about SOI and I tried raising the values in this table for an earlier injection in the problem areas but saw no change. Does the knock system need to be desensitized? It seems highly unlikely the engine is knocking given that I am now only commanding as low as 10 degrees in the area it is occurring.c7 z06 soi increased.hptc7 z06 knock issues.hpl

The knock sensors need modded some...

You can get it to go WOT before 2500rpms too

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    The knock sensors need modded some...
    Ben, care to elaborate? Also, does this apply to all the Gen V's? Hate to thread jack, but I'm running into a bit of Knock Retard as well that I can't shake in a 2015 Silverado 5.3. Fuel is spot on using OL MAF only, want to move on to VVE, but I can't shake this low rpm/high load knock retard. Happens mostly at cruise in 5th and 6th gear.

Tuner in Training
    No problem jmc! I am also wondering what needs to be changed in the knock sensor configuration. There quite a few setting and I am hesitant to start changing them without knowing which settings need adjustment. Also could you give me an explanation on where each torque management table is coming into play? I read an article on the over all strategy of the gen 5 ecms and how it is heavily based on torque management, but I am unsure of what each table is actually doing
    Last edited by atomic vette; 07-13-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Tuner in Training
    bump! Does anyone know the correct way to adjust the knock sensitivity. I tried the knock sensor level cylinder multipliers both increasing and decreasing values without any luck

I don't desensitize knock sensors ever. If it seems like false knock, it's more than likely torque management. Adjust your torque model.

Tuner in Training
    So an incorrect torque model can cause "knock retard"? How do you typically go about adjusting the model? So far I basically have just raised many of the values. Should I use my dyno to set the values close to what the engine is actually making? How do you decide when each table is coming into play? There seems to be limited information on how to correctly adjust the model and I am hesitant to just keep raising values. I didn't want to adjust the knock sensitivity to begin with but Ben suggested that may be the issue. I am fairly positive I am not seeing real knock as lowering the timing does not get rid of it and the engine is seeing knock at a very low spark advance.

i wouldn't call it knock retard at all. different cars seem to respond to different changes, I certainly don't have the Virtual Torque model editing process down 100% but I have been able to successfully work with it to make noticeable changes.

you can try bumping it 2-3% in the area you are losing spark and see if it changes. if it doesn't, make sure you put it back how it was before you change something else or you will soon end up with a frankenstein tune file.

Tuner in Training
    At one point I was losing timing randomly and I was able to resolve that by upping the max torque by gear. What I ma seeing now is actually "knock retard" in the scanner, you can see it in my log file. I will try adjusting a few more of the tables but that was why I didn't think it was caused by the torque model.

Quote Originally Posted by atomic vette View Post
    At one point I was losing timing randomly and I was able to resolve that by upping the max torque by gear. What I ma seeing now is actually "knock retard" in the scanner, you can see it in my log file. I will try adjusting a few more of the tables but that was why I didn't think it was caused by the torque model.
    put in race gas or disable the knock sensors and if it goes away then its real.

I agree with Higgs!! Put some race gas in and see if it goes away!!
    You are either losing timing Bc tq model is off (this usually shows up at Trq management advance) or knock which will show up as knock retard! Both show up to decrease timing!!

Find out high one!! If KR and still pulls timing then adjust knock sensors!!

GM doesn't m is hat fuel people will put in these cars when they ship them... so they play the knock sensor game very well!!

You'd be surprised how many idiots put shit fuel in performance rigs ha

14 Gen 5 Viper