Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.0 ficm tuning

Tuner in Training

6.0 ficm tuning

Does anyone have any info on Ficm tuning? Where is a good place to start when messing with the Ficm

Tuner in Training
    I would like this info as well.

You adjust the pulse width in the FICM, just like any other diesel. Increase the pulse to make more power, you really only need to touch 2 tables.
    FICM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BigCE View Post
    You adjust the pulse width in the FICM, just like any other diesel. Increase the pulse to make more power, you really only need to touch 2 tables.
    FICM.jpg
    whats your thoughts on a timing calculator for the 6.0, i havent seen one yet and was going to make one modeling from the early dmax's understood that we are huei vs common rail, but we are still dealing with pulse width vs pressure vs timing

Quote Originally Posted by crash01 View Post
    whats your thoughts on a timing calculator for the 6.0, i havent seen one yet and was going to make one modeling from the early dmax's understood that we are huei vs common rail, but we are still dealing with pulse width vs pressure vs timing
    I think you would see some massive changes if you used a calculator. The timing numbers seem odd for the 6.0s not sure if we are missing maps or what. For example at WOT at high RPM it calls for 5 deg of timing? Seems low, the entire map seems odd. My assumption is we are missing modifiers.

the only problem i see would be adjusting for hydraulic latency depending on oil temp and oil type, which is done somewhat in the ecm.... guess ill start to attempt to make one modeling from the dmax calculator, ill test on my personal truck before i release anything tho, guess its time to learn the wonderful excel spreadsheets , but yes Im totally agreeing that we are missing modifiers or maybe even entire extra timing maps,

factory "supplied" ficm file shows injector pulswidth maxing at 1670us, dmax guys are running upwards of 2900us-3000us on max effort tunes, looks like we might be leaving alot on the table, and im sure this has been discussed somewhere, but i wonder if the ficm values are the hard limit, or if the pcm "mass fuel desired" wins?

Quote Originally Posted by crash01 View Post
    factory "supplied" ficm file shows injector pulswidth maxing at 1670us, dmax guys are running upwards of 2900us-3000us on max effort tunes, looks like we might be leaving alot on the table, and im sure this has been discussed somewhere, but i wonder if the ficm values are the hard limit, or if the pcm "mass fuel desired" wins?
    As far as I know the ECM just asks the FICM for a quantity of fuel. The FICM uses the pulse width map to determine how long to hold the injectors open. If there was a limit it would be in the FICM.

I have no idea what a safe limit is or how far guys have pushed them, I just know the tune i made seems healthy enough but not over the top. I have no plans to push any harder.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone have the procedure to enable FICM? The software isn't giving me the option to license the FICM (4.2.12). I have read that a relay needs to be removed to stop potential damage to the injectors. Is there a procedure that everyone is using for tuning these diesels out there? I have read a lot here but, there doesn't seem to be the same for diesel as there is for gas for a step by step tuning. Thanks for any and all help.
    Update* I guess diesel support is still in the Beta. Still not sure about the FICM relay?
    Last edited by givittua; 03-28-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Hook up your cable and click read, then click gather info. Should show you three different controllers the ECM the FICM and the TCM. Pick which ones you want to read either only one or all or whatever but depending on what you choose you will have to licence the file accordingly, as when you go to flash you dont have a choice it will flash all of the controllers if that's the way you read them. I like to do them individually and build separate files.

When flashing only the FICM that is when you need to remove the injector relay, I only had to do this once because I built separate files and only needed to flash the ecm multiple times, so plan ahead.

Tuner in Training
    The software was hanging on to my original scan. All set now Thank you.
    Last edited by givittua; 04-03-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Tuner in Training
    FICM.jpg
    So what would be the rule of thumb here...Does one add say 5% or 10% to the entire table or what exactly? There is a lot of this stuff that I don't quite understand yet.

I think you would see some massive changes if you used a calculator. The timing numbers seem odd for the 6.0s not sure if we are missing maps or what. For example at WOT at high RPM it calls for 5 deg of timing? Seems low, the entire map seems odd. My assumption is we are missing modifiers.
    Create a ticket with support, and we can look into anything that might be missing.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Potential Tuner
    This thread is a little aged, so I apologize. So, there is a pulse width in the ECM file. Its the same value across the board. Does the pulse width in the ECM do anything? Or is it a FICM table that is also expressed in the ECM? Also, what does the x axis represent, its -50 to +150 as I recall.. I don't have the specifics of the axis, I have MacBook and on the Mac side of the hdd so I can't open editor right now.

Potential Tuner
    I dont know how to add an image. but its diesel fueling- main injection- inj. pulsewidth (ECM 3687). stock is 40 um across the board. microseconds

Quote Originally Posted by Djfarrington View Post
    I dont know how to add an image. but its diesel fueling- main injection- inj. pulsewidth (ECM 3687). stock is 40 um across the board. microseconds
    That table has to do with the high pressure oil system from the looks of it. IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator). You don't need to mess with it.

Spoofing the ICP sensor (Yes, yes I know tune the ficm so you can have full control over the pulsewidth tables..) Buddy doesn't want to tune the ficm.
    Last edited by PSM 6.4; 03-16-2021 at 01:54 AM.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Potential Tuner
    That would make sense I guess since its all actuation pressure related. It misleading labeling it fuel Inj. Pulsewidth

Quote Originally Posted by PSM 6.4 View Post
    Spoofing the ICP sensor (Yes, yes I know tune the ficm so you can have full control over the pulsewidth tables..) Buddy doesn't want to tune the ficm.

Have far, can you drop ICP on the top end before it gets finicky?

How does this look?

Attachment 97909

Attachment 97910
    For all those who don't know, spoofing the FICM does work within reason. However there are potentially severe side effects. Be careful, make changes in moderation and always datalog what's going on. That includes connecting to the ICP on the analog cable inputs so you can see what it's actually doing.

It really screws up torque calculations and skews transmission adaptives. I have seen them go for roughly 10,000 miles and all of a sudden the trans adapts stick at minimum adaptive. That's right, I didn't stutter, MINIMUM and the trans will do nothing but slip at anything more than 15% throttle. No joke this happened with a SCT can calibration.

I'm not saying don't do it but if you do it for a customer you better damn well know what you are doing.
    Last edited by APS; 04-11-2020 at 06:57 PM.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    For all those who don't know, spoofing the FICM does work within reason. However there are potentially severe side effects. Be careful, make changes in moderation and always datalog what's going on. That includes connecting to the ICP on the analog cable inputs so you can see what it's actually doing.

It really screws up torque calculations and skews transmission adaptives. I have seen them go for roughly 10,000 miles and all of a sudden the trans adapts stick at minimum adaptive. That's right, I didn't stutter, MINIMUM and the trans will do nothing but slip at anything more than 15% throttle. No joke this happened with a SCT can calibration.

I'm not saying don't do it but if you do it for a customer you better damn well know what you are doing.
    Kill the adpatives in the TCM file and tune oncoming and offgoing pressure tables to compensate for no adaptives.

These trucks run so much better without the BS CLADP screwing with everything.

Update your software and its now there, I had eric add it in for all trucks 03-16 awhile back.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB