S369 SXE on 2nd gen manifold
    Dual CP3s
    100% Over S&S Injectors
    Airdog 165
    Exhaust
    ARP 2000 Head Studs
    Upgraded Valve Springs and pushrods

I own HP Tuners for my car

The truck just got the mods and now smokes a ton down low and cleans up completely up top.
    I do not want to be blowing soot everywhere, want to get a MPG bump and of course want to make some power with the parts I have. I'll leave the coal rolling to the 450hp trucks around here that want to give us a bad name.

I have done some searching but most of the info seems geared toward trucks with a few less mods. Would anyone be willing to help me learn HP Tuners on the diesel or point me in the right direction?

There is always a balance in the low rpm between spool up and smoke. You are going to need to play with your duration tables to see what works best for you. I would look for a timing calculator to help get you started on the timing table.

Enjoy!

Jared

Tuner in Training
    I downloaded a timing calculator that ill mess with tomorrow. It's for the 04.5+ trucks though so hopefully it's still similar.

This may be dumb, but I can't find the timing tabled in hp tuners. Do they call them something different? There much easier to find in a gasoline car.

It's still similar. I would look at your boost fueling table, and also use a lot of negative timing down low until the turbo spools. That's the best way to keep it clean.

Tuner in Training
    Ah, for some reason it was back in basic mode with most of the functions hidden. Now it makes a lot more sense now that its back in Advanced.

Here is my stock file if anyone is willing to look over it and help me out.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by drewkeen View Post
    Ah, for some reason it was back in basic mode with most of the functions hidden. Now it makes a lot more sense now that its back in Advanced.

Here is my stock file if anyone is willing to look over it and help me out.

Thanks!
    03-05 trucks cannot be read. When you hit the read button, the software looks at the ECM part number and provides you with a stock file. Make sure you always save each revision and make yourself notes, because you cant read back what you have on your truck.

I find the boost fuel quantity table one of the better smoke control factors, especially on bigger turbo trucks.
    Log your fuel pressure, I'm sure it needs some adjustment of duty cycle with the upgraded pumps.
    Remember that timing is the start of the main injection event and not necessarily when combustion occurrs, dont be afraid to put values that wouldnt make sense on a gas engine.
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    Good timing on that post, I was just looking at the calculator and was thinking that it sure had a lot of timing desired in there!

In the timing calculator it has a section about desired amount of fuel injected before TDC. It is defaulted to 50% everywhere. Should I leave this be or is there some more science to adjusting this value as well to get a good timing amount?

I'm working on coming up with a map now to post for review. I will also try to do some logs later today or tomorrow.

Good timing on that post, I was just looking at the calculator and was thinking that it sure had a lot of timing desired in there!

In the timing calculator it has a section about desired amount of fuel injected before TDC. It is defaulted to 50% everywhere. Should I leave this be or is there some more science to adjusting this value as well to get a good timing amount?

I'm working on coming up with a map now to post for review. I will also try to do some logs later today or tomorrow.
    50% is a good starting point. You'll see as injector duty and RPM increase, the timing number increases.
    Less than 50% will increase EGT and help spoolup, more than 50% will increase mileage during low load running.
    You'll have to feel out your specific setup to see what it likes. But you can run the whole map at 50% safely, even permanently if you like how it runs.
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    I left the EOI cut at 30 deg. Is this a good idea?

Should I mess with the misfire minimum tuning?

Any help or good recommendations are much appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I should also mention I left the pilot injection events alone. Any thoughts on what to do here? I am more concerned with more MPG, power and spool up than reducing noise.

Sorry I don't always have time to get on here. I imagine you've answered your own questions by now.
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    I've actually been out of town for a bit and was going to mess with it a bit more this week so I haven't quite answered them yet.

EGTs seem hot for the work the truck is doing and it leaves a lot of soot on everything. I am thinking that this is because of retarded timing?

I've actually been out of town for a bit and was going to mess with it a bit more this week so I haven't quite answered them yet.

EGTs seem hot for the work the truck is doing and it leaves a lot of soot on everything. I am thinking that this is because of retarded timing?
    If your EGT is too high and theres a lot of soot, you have too much fuel in it after the combustion occurrs. So yes, pull fuel, advance timing, and/or increase boost.
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    Is there an easy way to determine the amount of timing to give optimal MPG while cruising and/or towing?

The turbo is non-wastegated so I can't really give it more boost. If the smoke is under cruise then I would think more timing is going to be part of the cure since it requires a certain amount of fuel to make the required power to push everything down the road.

Tuner in Training
    Here is a quick log.

Why is my rail pressure so high at idle and lower loads?log170802.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Is there an easy way to determine the amount of timing to give optimal MPG while cruising and/or towing?

The turbo is non-wastegated so I can't really give it more boost. If the smoke is under cruise then I would think more timing is going to be part of the cure since it requires a certain amount of fuel to make the required power to push everything down the road.
    about 8* at cruising speed is typical.

Tuner in Training
    Here is a quick log.

Why is my rail pressure so high at idle and lower loads?log170802.hpl
    Man... that looks like mess.

#1) Get that RP issue figured out, I would assume its probably a bad FCA. Does it rattle really bad at idle?

#2) You really need to build new tables that are smooth, RP and Timing are all over the place.

Tuner in Training
    Definitely has a bad rattle at idle. It didn't do that before the twin CP3 install. I'll buy a pair of new FCAs from cummins and give that a try.

I figured it would be awful. Its my first attempt and I also haven't really driven it any because I didn't think it would be a good tune. I used the timing calculator, but if rail pressure is a mess then I'm sure timing will be a mess too because of that.

Tuner in Training
    Yea, i wouldn't run it with RP like that you can hurt the injectors.

Post your tune up so we can look at it.

Tuner in Training
    Its in post #9. I was out of town for a bit so the truck was just parked here and I havent messed with it other than that log last night.