Thread: DI tuning basics

DI tuning basics

I'm coming from the spark injection V8 side of things so I know virtually nothing about tuning DI except for how DI engines work in principle. I'm trying to tune an E39 on a 2013 Regal GS 2.0T.

I've spent several hours reading so far and my understanding is that the best way to add easy power is to increase injector pulse duration yet for the life of me I cannot find the table for this. Also, I normally don't touch injector pulse width because this is automatically commanded based on fuel enrichment requirments... else you'd be going rich for no reason. So I guess I'm missing the logic for DI engines. Maybe because the fuel and air are not premixed, you can add as much fuel as you want? Does that mean PE does nothing in a DI engine except cooling?

Very confused about how all the stuff I know is kinda useless now.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me to a couple of basic tables I can edit for some high yield (easy HP), even if it's 5%.

Also, what's the "main" table for controlling the turbo boost? Can it be increased in the low end simply by wastegate DC or something?

Any tips would be great. Thank you.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Injector Ms is controlled by airmass calculations. It is like you stated, not a directly adjust parameter.
    Best way to get it to climb is request more air. Raise boost by using the wastegate duty cylce table and check the knock airmass to verify it isn't limiting boost.
    Pe is not just for cooling. These run really hot by design so this makes the pe ratio more fidgety. Basically you have a smaller window of error before the fuel ratio causes ignition issues.most of us start with people of lambda .86 and Dyno testing may show some applications prefer leaner towards .88.
    Always keep your fuel error on point these engines are super finicky about that. Either go full maf mode or disable it and use the vve tuner built into the editor software.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Injector Ms is controlled by airmass calculations. It is like you stated, not a directly adjust parameter.
    Best way to get it to climb is request more air. Raise boost by using the wastegate duty cylce table and check the knock airmass to verify it isn't limiting boost.
    Pe is not just for cooling. These run really hot by design so this makes the pe ratio more fidgety. Basically you have a smaller window of error before the fuel ratio causes ignition issues.most of us start with people of lambda .86 and Dyno testing may show some applications prefer leaner towards .88.
    Always keep your fuel error on point these engines are super finicky about that. Either go full maf mode or disable it and use the vve tuner built into the editor software.
    Ah I see. So then I should modify the tables BOOST THRESHOLD>BASE DC up a few percent across the board, or wherever I want more boost... I'm attempting a first tune for modest power increase and faster acceleration. In total here is what I am guessing will help so far:

FUEL>CUTOFF>RPM LIMITS>EXTREME CUTOFF = 6700
    ... CUTOFF RPM VS GEAR>6700 (for forward gears)

FUEL>POWER ENRICH>ENABLE PEDAL = all 70
    ... EQ RATIO = Ramp from 1.05 to 1.24 (will correct as you stated)
    ... PE DELAY = Everything disabled

TORQUE MANAGEMENT>GENERAL>MAX TORQUE>PARK/BRAKE/OVERBOOST = all maxed out
    ...BRAKE TORQUE LIMIT = maxed
    ...POWERHOP = ENABLED

TORQUE MANAGEMENT>SC/TC BOOST CONTROL>BASE DC = Increase up to 10%
    ...BOOST MAX LIMIT = Maxed out

TORQUE MANAGEMENT>TURBOCHARGER>DC MAX = 99
    ...PRESSURE RATIO MAX = Increased by 15%

TRANSMISSION>AUTO SHIFT SPEED>FULL THROTTLE SHIFT RPM>NORMAL=6500

TRANSMISSION>AUTO SHIFT PROPERTIES>SHIFT TIME>POWER DOWNSHIFT = all 0.15
    ... UPSHIFT NORMAL = all dropped by 1/2
    ... UPSHIFT SPECIAL = all dropped by 1/2

TRANSMISSION>AUTO SHIFT PROPERTIES>SHIFT PRESSURE>SHIFT PRESSURE>MAX PRESSURE = 4000
    ...MAX LINE PRESSURE= all 4000
    ...UPSHIFT X = all except first column 2000
    ...UPSHIFT Y = same

TRANSMISION>TQ MANAGMENT>DIFF SCORE = Disabled
    ...LIMIT TQMGT>ENABLE TEMP = 200
    ...UPSHIFT = Disabled

SYSTEM>FANS>DESIRED ECT = 190
    ...CONTROL BY %>DESIRED % = 30-99 from 195F
    ...ECT OVERRIDE LIMIT = 225

SPEED LIMITERS REMOVED

Comments on this? On the right track? Anything really stupid that will break the car?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Regal Diag_ Airflow.png
    Regal PE.png

Regal TM TC Control.png
    This is the basic initial setup i would perform if i was doing this. This defaults fueling to solely maf only which is the fastest to tune. i can always go back and tune the system without the maf for a proper coefficient base tune.
    Fixes issues with overly rich pe fueling for gm di engines.

If i remember correctly Boost is controlled through the Base DC table.
    for the desired pressure ratio can be converted to boost pressure by taking [(atm / pressure ratio)-atm] which would be [(14.7 psi / pressure ratio) - 14.7] then what i do is set the columns as a single value (vertically the same) and i increase them until i hit the psi of the axis and record it on paper. once ive done this all the way through i go back and fill the table out.
    knock airmass should be pressure ratio as well so again [(14.7 psi / knock airmass value) -14.7 psi] as you can see the lower the number the lower the max allowed boost under that detonation event. if the system seems to have hit a brick wall with boost then i would go into this table first and lift the values up slightly until the limit has been removed. this seems to be what most people complain about when hitting boost limit.
    If you set the base DC table up correctly then you can use the Boost Max Limit Table to set a maximum boost target for closed loop boost as a safety net.
    its been a while since i have done one of these so start out with just the tm tables then try the boost tables and see if you can get an idea of how the ecu controls it. once you know how to lift it it becomes second hand nature to make a pressure adjustment and fueling is just like the v8 maf stuff you most likely already know.

*i don't show pictures of boost dc or knock airmass because i don't have sufficient testing with them to list a picture that wont cause the public any harm if they decide to copy it.
    some of the guys that have worked this ecu will likely chime in on more of the ecu operation.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman