Thread: 2006 envoy 5.3 e40

2006 envoy 5.3 e40 swap

I have a 2006 envoy lh6 5.3l and an e40 that came with it. I physically deleted the afm and installed a LS3 cam and i want to put it in a 92 Camaro with a t56. My question is will the e40 work with the manual trans since the envoy never offered one. I looked at the ecm options in hptuners and it offered manual trans option. I also saw the vats patch options and I think tcs disable. I couldn't find anyone using envoy e40 and wondered if anyone has results from this swap. I also read cruise can be wired up with the envoy or trailblazer os and I would like cruise. I'm also going to try to get a ls1 z28 instrument cluster to work with this ecm. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by Shnraines; 07-18-2017 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Added cruise and vats patch

I could see it working.

You'll have to disable all transmission related DTC's and abuse settings so the motor can run. It would be wise to install some sort of VSS so the computer knows how fast the vehicle is going.

The manual tranmission option or drop down menu won't change anything, switching it from 4L60/4L70e to manual doesn't do anything.

DoD delete is as simple as setting the master switch from enable to disable. Then you'll have to tune the VVE and MAF curve for the change in camshaft.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks for the reply. I was going to wire vss from t56 and try to use fan clutch output to control an electric fan. I haven't found any e40 5.3 swap info, only 6.0. I'm electronically proficient but prefer to keep it as easy as possible. Not sure my instrument cluster will work but I guess I'll find out

2006 SSR used the E40 and had a 6-speed option. Might be worth researching.

Beg, borrow or steal (OK, maybe not steal) access to eSI/TechNet/whatever GM calls it these days, spend the hours picking over the differences and similarities between the Envoy & SSR wiring schematics. They are both the same platform so you'll just have to mix and match from one to the other to make everything work. From my quick scan of the diagrams...

2006 Envoy LH6
    ECM C1-21 to IPC B9 vehicle speed signal
    ECM C1-48 to IPC A12 engine speed signal
    ECM C1-16 to IPC B1 class2 serial data

2006 SSR LS2
    ECM C1-21 to IPC B9 vehicle speed signal
    ECM C1-48 to IPC A12 engine speed signal
    ECM C1-58 to IPC B1 class2 serial data

LH6 is nothing but a small-bore LS2 with DoD bits added which you're going to remove anyway.

Since os's are different between ssr and envoy, the data is different. I think it was 04colyzq8 that attempted to put t56 in trailblazer and tried multiple os's (gto,ssr,Vette,ctsv) and was unable to get modules to function properly. I'm not using any modules (bcm,abs,climate) but would like speedometer in ls1 cluster to work and I'm using ls1 fuel tank and pump module and hopefully fuel gauge will work too. I read that in envoy the t42 tcm sends vss to bcm, then bcm converts and sends vss to e40 ecm. I'm unsure how I'll get speedometer to work. I read only 05 ssr cruise works without bcm, but rather than reconfigure for 5.3 I would like to get envoy(trailblazer) os to work if possible.

On both, the speedo signal is wired direct from the ECM to IPC. The cruise switch inputs for both are wired direct to the ECM (same pins & wire colors, even - same GMT360 platform and all that). The VSS is wired to the TCM on the Envoy, and direct to the ECM on manual trans SSR - the SSR's VSS pins in the Envoy ECU are marked as Not Used. It doesn't mention how the VSS signal gets from the TCM to the ECM, if it's a simple pass-thru or if it's via class2. The Envoy service manual section on cruise 'Description and Operation' is pretty specific about who does what and what goes where and doesn't mention anything about the BCM playing any part in things.

I do not know if the Envoy ECU has the same circuitry inside as the SSR ECU. If both ECUs are the same internally, then a SSR OS and the right re-pinning will make it all work. If they are different you'll need the SSR ECU & SSR OS and re-pinning to suit.

Thanks, maybe ssr is the way to go. I'll post once I have results of my swap

You can buy 3-days access to all the full service manuals for only $20: https://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/s...e-information/

Print off everything that looks relevant for each make/model and then get to digging.

I didn't know ssr and trailblazer were same platform. There is only one 06 ssr tune in repository and it's been altered. If anyone has a stock 06 ssr 6spd tune please upload it. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    You're on the right track here, SSR OS is the way to go as it's the closest to the factory Envoy/TrailBlazer platform you'll get with a manual trans. Make sure your wiring is correct, flash the SSR OS in (you might need to use SPS to write the DBW controller, should check on this), and be on your way.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

I was hoping the dbw part of the os would be the same since they both are same platform. I checked and the os are different. As long as it doesn't brick I can revert back, but hate to license another os if it won't work with trailblazer pedal. Anyone know if trailblazer and ssr use same pedal?

Per RockAuto, yes, both use the same APP sensor(s). AIRTEX/WELLS 5S7951 for adjustable pedals, 5S7937 for non-adjustable.

More good news, both Envoy & SSR use the same (replacement) ECM P/N. However... the replacements may be different internally than what was installed at factory. It's not uncommon for replacements to have all the internal bits to work across multiple apps with just one part number, whereas the factory originals only had the bits relevant to specific vehicle (i.e., OEM Envoy E40 may not have the resistors and diodes connected to the pins the SSR E40 uses for the VSS input). P/N is 12596679.

Thanks again. From what I've read as long as i put an 06 ssr os in a 06 trailblazer 5.3 ecu with hptuners it at least won't brick, so I can try it. Otherwise I'll need someone with tech2 to flash it

Looking for 06 ssr e40 pinout if anyone has it, thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnraines View Post
    Looking for 06 ssr e40 pinout if anyone has it, thanks
    BTT

I'm looking for this too...

SSR is the same as other GMT360s except for feature differences - manual trans has reverse lockout stuff where auto trans has PRNDL stuff, 5.3 has DOD while 6.0 doesn't...

If you're using this info to do a swap or anything else serious and involved, drop the $20 for eSI access. You can't do this stuff competently by asking others to give you bits and pieces as/when you hit a wall. What you need is the full service manual. https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions

I'm happy to supply diagrams for minor issues but posting the entire ECM pinout is a nightmare. In the service manual it's in table form, and it can't just be copy-pasted, it takes no joke about a solid hour of work in a stupid text editor to turn it into something that's readable here in the forum.