Thread: Is this normal ???

Is this normal ???

I had a guy that runs a performance shop (well known shop with good reviews online) tune my ride and I wanted to capture that tune he did so I used my HP Tuners software to read the tune so I could save it on my computer in case I ever need to flash it back to the vehicle someday...

Anyway, after reading the vehicle... I started up my ride and got a P0606 error code. And, I remember it did the same thing when I read the OE tune so I'd have that on file before I took it to the tuner, and it did the same thing.

So, I cleared the code with my scanner and all seems to be well know as it doesn't come back or anything.

Just curious if this is normal anytime you read a vehicle and can I assume it may do the same if writing to the vehicle where you may have to clear any trouble codes such as P0606 which couldn't mean my ECM is bad cause it never comes back and the vehicle is running and acting just fine.

Advanced Tuner
    I've never got a code from reading (or writing) tunes to my car....

P0606 Errors and Causes

It is unusual to receive a P0606 code when reading a calibration. If the car is running fine now, I wouldn't worry about it unless it occurs again. This comes from the OBD technical manual:

Be sure to check for aftermarket performance products before replacing the PCM. For Electronic Throttle Control vehicles, P0606 may be set with other DTCs indicating a specific failure in that system, and repairing those DTCs will fix the P0606. For diagnosing P0606 alone, an internal fault in the PCM is indicated, and the PCM should be replaced.

But as I said before, I have never seen this code when reading a tune. Others on the forum may have had other experiences than me - so they can chime in if necessary. If you have a scan tool that offers freeze frame data, you might want to take a look at that if the error occurs again.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

The only aftermarket part I've installed is the Jet Powr-Flo Throttle Body (Jet Part #76102) and a CAI tube between the Throttle Body and the stock air box.

Unless the guy did something to it during tuning. I know they had me sign something that basically said if anything quits working they aren't responsible.

So, what all is involved in changing out the ECM? Just thought I'd ask in case it comes to this...

Advanced Tuner
    I almost a certain that code was trigger after a hpt session for a vehicle I had it working with.