Thread: Injector Scaling E38 LS2

Tuner in Training

Injector Scaling E38 LS2

Been pouring through threads all over the internet to figure out a way to wrap my head around getting a base tune for my soon-to-be-together motor. Decided to try my hand at asking a few specific questions and seeing if I can get some help from you guys.

2006 C6 w/E38 on a 2 Bar OS
    6.0 Iron LY6
    BTR Stage 2 Turbo Cam
    243 Heads/LS9 Gaskets
    ID1050x Injectors
    APS Dual Pump Return style system w/Boost referenced regulator
    Front mount Frankensteined Turbo Kit running an On3 88mm
    GM 2 Bar MAP sensor
    No MAF

Leaning towards running an Open Loop SD tune to start with and seeing what results I will get from it. This is not a daily driver, just a nice weather, full interior, a/c, sound system, car.

Keep in mind, car is down right now as I am finishing the build on the block and installation of the turbo stuff.

I have taken my stock file and converted to a 2 Bar OS.
    Inputed my MAP sensor data.
    Figured out the changes from the VVE calculator I used when I was running the stock 1 bar OS.
    Changed the axis' to run more proper numbers through the kpm/rpm colums/rows.
    Populated the tables with data pulled from my stock file and modified a bit with some data pulled from a Maggie'd setup from the repository.
    Set low PE accordingly as well as Boost PE.
    Went back to stock with the idle airflow tables as I am coming from a MS4 cam to something much smaller, and will tune that accordingly when the car is running and I can log true data.
    I realize that the VE table will need to massively tuned, as well as the idle airflow, as well as dialing in the PE and BE.

My real question lies in what seems to be the headache of the pre-2009 E38 injector scaling.
    I have the data sheet from ID and I can comprehend whats going on for the most part. From what I read, "take the given data, half it, and double stoich".
    1. Does this apply to me?
    2. Should I mess with IVT as well? The table I am pulling up refers to alcohol, (im more than likely missing something from my reading).
    3. Is the ID data based off of a 43.5lb/hr fuel system? 0kpa is blocked in red which is 117.39lb/hr. Scaled, that is 58.69lb/hr. Is that what im putting across all cells in the flow rate table? Or do I need to somehow find the cell that is appropriate for 58lb/hr. Which will be my base fuel pressure (dont want to struggle with fuel transfer between tanks). Or do I have to do some math and take the 3 Bar number and derive a 4 bar number from it? (Looking at it, I was getting 156.52lb/hr and 78.26lb/hr scaled, which would create the need to scale the numbers farther than 50% to fit under the 63.5lb limit).
    4. I may just be brain fried, but I have been having a hard time aligning the rest of the data given with what I have tables for. Either the names do not match up, or the axis' labels do not match up. Flow vs. Differential Pressure being one of them (its been a long day, there are more in the offset and short pulse adder pages that I am confused about).
    5. Once I do match up tables to their appropriate info, does being boost referenced mean I am still going for what ID has boxed in red across the cells?
    6. I am assuming that doubling the stoich will throw off my afr reference in hptuners when logging with my wideband, so i should just start learning lambda and setting up my logging for lambda err %?
    7. Will doubling the stoich also mean I need to half my VE table?

Sorry for the buttload of questions, I assure you, those are not the last. I've just read so many different threads relating to all of this info but set onto different platforms that the information is starting to melt together.

I would post my current base tune I have started working on, but I am at work. Also, I would like to get a few answers to my queries before laying out my limited knowledge in a public domain for ridicule.

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...egulator-setup

I think this answered a few of my questions as far as the base pressure vs. needing to scale ID's data... Looks as if I will just take the 0kpa data and run it across the board in the IFR table. Any other tables that get lined out as such? Or can I simply emulate what he did with his e40 and id850 data?

Tuner in Training
    TurboTune1.hpt

Made some changes from the little extra reading I have done. Somebody care to take a gander?

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Bump?

Advanced Tuner
    Use the data on ID's site. Cut the flow in half and double stoich. Cut IVT terms in half and you are done for injectors.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Quote Originally Posted by kunta0908 View Post
    Been pouring through threads all over the internet to figure out a way to wrap my head around getting a base tune for my soon-to-be-together motor. Decided to try my hand at asking a few specific questions and seeing if I can get some help from you guys.

2006 C6 w/E38 on a 2 Bar OS
    6.0 Iron LY6
    BTR Stage 2 Turbo Cam
    243 Heads/LS9 Gaskets
    ID1050x Injectors
    APS Dual Pump Return style system w/Boost referenced regulator
    Front mount Frankensteined Turbo Kit running an On3 88mm
    GM 2 Bar MAP sensor
    No MAF

Leaning towards running an Open Loop SD tune to start with and seeing what results I will get from it. This is not a daily driver, just a nice weather, full interior, a/c, sound system, car.

Keep in mind, car is down right now as I am finishing the build on the block and installation of the turbo stuff.

I have taken my stock file and converted to a 2 Bar OS.
    Inputed my MAP sensor data.
    Figured out the changes from the VVE calculator I used when I was running the stock 1 bar OS.
    Changed the axis' to run more proper numbers through the kpm/rpm colums/rows.
    Populated the tables with data pulled from my stock file and modified a bit with some data pulled from a Maggie'd setup from the repository.
    Set low PE accordingly as well as Boost PE.
    Went back to stock with the idle airflow tables as I am coming from a MS4 cam to something much smaller, and will tune that accordingly when the car is running and I can log true data.
    I realize that the VE table will need to massively tuned, as well as the idle airflow, as well as dialing in the PE and BE.

My real question lies in what seems to be the headache of the pre-2009 E38 injector scaling.
    I have the data sheet from ID and I can comprehend whats going on for the most part. From what I read, "take the given data, half it, and double stoich".
    1. Does this apply to me? YES

2. Should I mess with IVT as well? The table I am pulling up refers to alcohol, (im more than likely missing something from my reading). YES, HALF THE IVT TEM table as well.

3. Is the ID data based off of a 43.5lb/hr fuel system? 0kpa is blocked in red which is 117.39lb/hr. Scaled, that is 58.69lb/hr. Is that what im putting across all cells in the flow rate table? Or do I need to somehow find the cell that is appropriate for 58lb/hr. Which will be my base fuel pressure (dont want to struggle with fuel transfer between tanks). Or do I have to do some math and take the 3 Bar number and derive a 4 bar number from it? (Looking at it, I was getting 156.52lb/hr and 78.26lb/hr scaled, which would create the need to scale the numbers farther than 50% to fit under the 63.5lb limit). YES, it is based on 59 psi fuel pressure. The rated injector flow value (0 kPa) is placed across the entire table. Double the Stoich values as well. Additional, the INJECTOR OFFSET table is handled the same. Insert the 0 kPa column across the entire table. You will set the fuel pressure with the hose off to 58 psi. Then reinstall the hose and all is good.

4. I may just be brain fried, but I have been having a hard time aligning the rest of the data given with what I have tables for. Either the names do not match up, or the axis' labels do not match up. Flow vs. Differential Pressure being one of them (its been a long day, there are more in the offset and short pulse adder pages that I am confused about). Please be more specific.

5. Once I do match up tables to their appropriate info, does being boost referenced mean I am still going for what ID has boxed in red across the cells? Yes, but only for the IFR and Offset. The rest of the injector data is installed as provided.

6. I am assuming that doubling the stoich will throw off my afr reference in hptuners when logging with my wideband, so i should just start learning lambda and setting up my logging for lambda err %?
    7. Will doubling the stoich also mean I need to half my VE table? YES, you will have to develop two new User defined Math parameters (see TOOLS). One that will take your commanded AFR and divide by 2 and another to replicate the AFR Error equation. For this equation you merely have to take the HP Tuners provided math equation for AFR ERROR, copy it (CNTRL C) and PASTE (CNTRL V) into an unused Math -- User Defined slot. and replace the Commanded AFR parameter with your new User Defined Commanded AFR Halved math function. You will have to retype the entire equation (twice) as you can't implement a User Defined parameter in another Use Define math function. Lastly you will have to replace your curent Commanded AFR and AFR Error in all places used by your CHARTS and GRAPHS.

Sorry for the buttload of questions, I assure you, those are not the last. I've just read so many different threads relating to all of this info but set onto different platforms that the information is starting to melt together.

I would post my current base tune I have started working on, but I am at work. Also, I would like to get a few answers to my queries before laying out my limited knowledge in a public domain for ridicule.

Thanks!
    Here you go.....

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 07-18-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...egulator-setup

I think this answered a few of my questions as far as the base pressure vs. needing to scale ID's data... Looks as if I will just take the 0kpa data and run it across the board in the IFR table. Any other tables that get lined out as such? Or can I simply emulate what he did with his e40 and id850 data?
    Answered above...

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

TurboTune1.hpt

Made some changes from the little extra reading I have done. Somebody care to take a gander?

Thanks
    You still need to copy the OFFSET from the 0 kPa column across the board in your Offset Vac table, Set SPA pulse width to 3.0 ms, copy over the SPA values from the 0, .125 table and set the min injection pulse width to .125 across the board.

Ed M

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    You still need to copy the OFFSET from the 0 kPa column across the board in your Offset Vac table, Set SPA pulse width to 3.0 ms, copy over the SPA values from the 0, .125 table and set the min injection pulse width to .125 across the board.

Ed M
    Thank you for the replies.

Copied over the Offset values from the 0kpa column. The rest of what you said though, is that date for the id850's and the link i provided? Because the 1050's show:

Minimum .300
    Default .300
    Short Pulse Width 3.700

Updated tune file.

TurboTune1.hpt

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    MAF should also be changed to Mil on first error
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Thank you for the replies.

Copied over the Offset values from the 0kpa column. The rest of what you said though, is that date for the id850's and the link i provided? Because the 1050's show:

Minimum .300
    Default .300
    Short Pulse Width 3.700

Updated tune file.

TurboTune1.hpt
    I'm sorry, must of been a senior moment. For some reason I thought I read 850's....you are correct in those values. Use the 1050 data for all.

Ed M

[email protected]