Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Tune Settings on 2015+ Coyote

Senior Tuner

Ghost Tune Settings on 2015+ Coyote

So trust me I have read every single "Ghost Cam" thread that is on here, all of them started with discussions on pre-2015 engines, with some discussion sprinkled in on what works for the newer motors, but never saw someone actually confirm or post up that they got it to work consistently. Seems like the newer cams/motors don't need as much cam adjustment to lope as much, I would attribute this to the newer cam designs themselves and how they are installed from the factory.

I have been logging and see pretty much mapped points 0-2 used 99% of the time at idle, and see how on initial fire up it moves from Emissions (Mapped point 0 and sometimes 1), to Optimum stability (always mapped point 2) pretty consistently.

So I assume I set my mapped points 0-2 to have values somewhere around -20/40? Other tweaks I see people making is adding airflow to the idle airflow table, adding fuel in the MAF table at idle area (overlap causes a false lean, adding fuel lessens the chance for the o2s to overshoot).

Any other initial changes I should be making?

Setting OP VCT to enable at idle would be a good start

Senior Tuner
    Hmm ok, interesting. So take down my OP enable RPM and loads to near zero or close to idle values. Then what ramp the enable values back higher for mid and light throttle areas?

Yes ,enable under 1000 to 0 pedal and set your op 1000 rpm cell I/E to desired 0/40 split .

Senior Tuner
    cool thanks!

Any recommendation on the split to start with?

0/40

Tuner
    How did it turn out? Did you get it to work in OP and did you change the settings other than 0/40?

Senior Tuner
    going to play with it today, I will let you know. Harder for me since I am having issues logging even the map point weightings with my FRPP PCM.

Senior Tuner
    Well that didn't work so well. Got it to idle in OP mode, but intake and exhaust stayed locked both at 0, but the PCM was commanding a really high timing, I could audibly here the motor knocking a little at low rpms (650 or so). Attached is the stock tune, first ghost tune, and log. I can play more with the load and rpm settings to get rid of the in and out it did of OP and Optimum stability, but more concerned with the high timing and lack of exhaust cam movement.

FRPP3 Ghost cam.hpl

FRPP 3 Ghost Tune 1.hpt

FRPP Stage M6 Catless Headers.hpl

Senior Tuner
    ExhaustPhasingLimit.PNG

Should have highlighted EOT also.

Senior Tuner
    Ah missed that cap. Any idea on the high timing though?

Senior Tuner
    I'll have to look. I didn't have much time but thought I would screenshot that really quickly to get you on the right track.

Senior Tuner
    Under the Idle -> General tab maybe try setting Minimum VSS to 0 mph and I'm not sure if you also need to do this but Enable RPM Error to something higher. Not sure if it will help with the timing but would probably get a cleaner log if it lets the RPMs go higher. Might end up needing to request more torque in Idle Reserve and Idle IPC / Allow a higher max and min torque correction also.

This is just a guess because I've never even tried a ghost cam S550 tune but it's worth a try. Maybe the guy that's done it will give more info. If I get one this weekend I'll play around with it some for you.

Senior Tuner
    Alright I went with the approach of leaving it in regular idle mode (Optimum stability) and giving it the 0/40, changed those two limit tables, and she is chopping away!! Took her for a spin and noticed it is staying 0/40 the entire time in Optimum Stability mode, which makes it a bit sloppy taking off from a stop. I am guessing this is why you guys like to use Optimum performance instead since this gives you the ability to tune by rpm instead of just by entire mode.

I see lots of ways to get it to work though, I could just cut down the same max tables and rescale them so I have it quickly cut off the exhaust retard back to 0 by say 1050 rpms.

Lastly, on adjusting the fueling, it is running lean per the widebands, but isn't this a false lean? Shouldn't I be working on the transient delays or tuning from a different angle other than MAF hacking?

FRPP3 Ghost cam 2.hpl

FRPP 3 Ghost Tune 2.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Under the Idle -> General tab maybe try setting Minimum VSS to 0 mph and I'm not sure if you also need to do this but Enable RPM Error to something higher. Not sure if it will help with the timing but would probably get a cleaner log if it lets the RPMs go higher. Might end up needing to request more torque in Idle Reserve and Idle IPC / Allow a higher max and min torque correction also.

This is just a guess because I've never even tried a ghost cam S550 tune but it's worth a try. Maybe the guy that's done it will give more info. If I get one this weekend I'll play around with it some for you.
    Yes I also set the min VSS to 0, and Idle Enable RPM Error to 300.

Senior Tuner
    I would think the Speed Density would need adjusted.

Couple things about controlling when it stops loping... Can set MP2 back to near stock angles and modify the distance tables for Optimum Stability to use it after a certain RPM or can control it based on load by lowing when it gets into the Fuel Economy tables (maybe Best Drivability as well). A 0 in that distance table will use MP2 the way your tune is setup so you can rescale the axis and make it transition to it.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks I'll see what I can do there. Seems to want to die a lot if I keep it in optimum performance, and was surging a bit now fully warmed with it in optimum stability. I added 10% to the MAF in the Idle area and it didn't seem to effect fueling at all. Also have a pretty nasty split of fuel trims +25 on b1 and +10 on b2.

Any pointers where to start on speed density?

Really appreciate the help!!

Senior Tuner
    Well I looked for a MP with closer to the angles you are using to tell you to copy that speed density... Maybe try the angles in MP26 and copy the speed density from it to MP0 and MP1.

Seems you are also missing an entire tab in the OS you're using for idle airflow. There's a table to map throttle angle to airflow you can adjust.

You should show vct mode "op" at idle . And your mapped points at idle should be 14-21

Senior Tuner
    Yea it's one of the main reasons I went with this OS was just how damn good drivability was versus trying to use my stock OS and copying over data. Even with every single table copied over it still surged and was weird touchy throttle. I also just confirmed in my last log the no lift shift logic is working, also a huge plus. Just wish we could see the logic.

All that needs tweaking now is the rpm dive it does when I stab in the clutch, goes down to 4-500rpms, never dies. Does the same as I'm creeping around a parking lot pushing the clutch in and out. That seems like an airflow or torque reserve type of issue right? I realize I'm missing that angle versus airflow, but is there any way to keep the throttle open a touch more after pushing the clutch in?