Thread: 68RFE Bypass Low-Reverse Sprag

68RFE Bypass Low-Reverse Sprag

Does anyone know if it is possible to bypass the low-reverse sprag in the 68RFE with tuning? If you manually shift the transmission, the low-reverse sprag is bypassed, so it would seem it is possible. The L/R sprag is definitely a major weak point of these transmissions.

Cheers,

Jared

Doesn't appear to be. ATI has best price on sprag. Use manual low for hard launches.

Well, looks like we can now bypass the Sprag! Thanks HP Tuners!

Quote Originally Posted by staytuned View Post
    Doesn't appear to be. ATI has best price on sprag. Use manual low for hard launches.
    I have not been able to find the ATI sprag for the 68RFE. Could you direct me in the right direction?

I know that Suncoast has a corrected heavy duty sprag and I'm sure that Revmax does as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    I know that Suncoast has a corrected heavy duty sprag and I'm sure that Revmax does as well.
    So, with the L/R Clutch tuning available, do you think a new sprag is needed? I know they aren't that much money, but I don't have unlimited funds when I rebuild my transmission.
    2019 CCSB Bighorn - Excited HP Tuners finally supported Cummins CM2350&2450 platforms

That I can't answer that with any real experiance. If it were my truck I certainly would. That and an updated Drum setup with your current valve body would work well.

Here is what I am thinking when I rebuild my transmission:

For Sure:
    Sonnax Multiplate Damped TC (built by local shop. I like keeping locals in Alaska!) ~ $1400
    Sonnax SmartTech Input Drum ~ $600
    TCS Rebuild Kit for the Sonnax Drum (includes GPZ UD Clutches, and Red Alto clutches for 2nd, 4th, and L/R) ~ $500
    Flex Plate (not sure on brand yet) ~ $400
    Total = $3000

Best, but more expensive:
    TCS Billet Input ~ $725
    TCS Billet Sprag ~ $450
    TCS Billet Clutch Hub ~ $775 (probably not needed for my HP goals)
    Total = $5000
    2019 CCSB Bighorn - Excited HP Tuners finally supported Cummins CM2350&2450 platforms

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreemanak View Post
    So, with the L/R Clutch tuning available, do you think a new sprag is needed? I know they aren't that much money, but I don't have unlimited funds when I rebuild my transmission.
    What are you setting your L/R sprag setting to with an upgraded sprag?

Banned
    Regardless of upgraded or stock L/R spray, I set the upper limit at 1200

Tuner in Training
    What is a good lower limit setting? It's ok to bypass is under regular driving conditions?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret99 View Post
    What is a good lower limit setting? It's ok to bypass is under regular driving conditions?
    did you ever find a lower limit?