Thread: Where on android phone are the video and csv files stored?

Potential Tuner

Where on android phone are the video and csv files stored?

Hi,

I have a google nexus 6p phone. I've read the documentation on trackaddict that the files should be in android/data/com.hptuners... subfolders.
    But when I connect via USB (set to file transfer) and navigate to that directory, I dont see any data files. My android phone does not have external SD slot, all memory is internal. I can play the video session through trackaddict app, so I know its somewhere on the phone.

I can upload to google drive the csv and video file, but that takes forever to upload and re-download. I've already purchased RaceRender and am trying to just pull the data from the phone to my laptop. Thanks.

ap

Potential Tuner
    Found a workaround. Downloaded an Android file manager and was able to see the data files in the correct directory. Moved the files to another directory on my phone, whereby Windows file manager can now see them to copy over via USB.

Not sure why Windows file manager cannot see the hptuners directory contents....

The session data and video files will be stored in Android/data/com.hptuners.trackaddict/files, and should be accessible when connected via USB to your computer, assuming that the Android device is in File Transfer / MTP mode. On Windows, your Android device will appear as one or two drives in Windows File Exporer; on Mac, you'd need to use Google's Android File Transfer program. What's normally visible via this USB connection to you computer would only be the sessions that are stored on externally-accessible storage, which is the app's default (can also be called "Ext" or "External" in the app). For users that do have an SD card, there should be two drives that appear, both with a very similar folder layout, and a recorded session's files will be on one or the other depending on if they're stored on externally-accessible or SD card storage.

What you experienced with no files appearing may be due to Android not updating the USB file directory. TrackAddict will automatically perform a "media scan" to help this happen, but in some less common cases the contents wont be updated until you reestablish the USB connection to the computer, or you may need to reboot the Android device entirely. In my experience, this doesn't happen very often, but when it does, its often resolved by simply unplugging the USB and then plugging it back in (and setting the device to File Transfer / MTP mode). Results may vary depending on your device, its version of the Android OS, and any changes that the device manufacturer may have made.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. Perhaps its the Android version, as I recently updated the phone a couple weeks ago. Windows still cannot see hptuners file directory contents, but I'm ok with my workaround. Question: what is the .tad file? RaceRender3 does not open it. Do those files have anything to do with the OBDLinkMX I'm running?

The .tad file is a secondary data log in our own compact binary format. It's currently used for the file export functionality (ie VBO, KML, Interpolated CSV) in TrackAddict, and we may expand its use further in the future as it should be simpler and faster to load than .CSV.