Thread: Goto resources for tuning 5.0 MAF and SD Fords?

Tuner in Training

Question Goto resources for tuning 5.0 MAF and SD Fords?

Everyone starts somewhere. What are the definitive goto resources for tuning the 5.0 Coyote? 11-14 and 15-17.

Online?
    Links?
    Books?
    Courses? Self study or classroom.

Many recommend the Coyote Cookbook, but a few good tuners I've spoken with say it isn't worth the money. It also seems to lack a bit of information on the 15+ Tricore. Personally, I still may buy it. I'm having a hard time really grasping the timing strategy on my tricore, but I am also more of a "hands on" learner.

Through trial/error, watching over my buddy's shoulder, and this forum, I have been able to effectively feel my way through and actually get my car running pretty good. Just really trying to get a more thorough understand of WHY I'm changing what I am, and how it truly plays into the vehicle.

Senior Tuner
    I will hopefully be doing some write-ups soon enough for the beginner guys. I purchased the Cookbook, it helped a lot with just even knowing whats what in the tune and some of the basics of where things sit. That said, if your disposable income is low, you can learn just as much by reading here on the forums or posting up your questions, itll just take a little bit longer to get the bare basics down.

Believe it or not, the Tricore is NOT all that complicated. It is finicky I have learned with throttle body and the given torque inputs (that should be obvious once you grasp the logic of torque based logic), but outside that its basically like the PCM has 26 versions (Mapped Points) of the same tune and depending on how you are driving itll move in and out of each one of those tunes. There are 26 tunes for your cam timing and 26 for spark timing, and you need to help tell the PCM how much torque the engine can make in each of the 26 tunes. Its very onerous to dial all 26 in; even some of the "best" tuners out there choose to only use a few of these "tunes" and disable the rest. Some use all, some use literally just 2 or 3.

The "dialing in" part happens in phases, cam timing is best done on a dyno measuring the change in power; spark is done by monitoring your knock and by monitoring how much the PCM is adding; torque (assuming you have accurate throttle body data) is done by monitoring IPC wheel torque error.

Tuner in Training
    I purchased the Coyote Cookbook. I'm still reading thru it trying to understand the entire process. It will help to understand what I'm reading however. I have the basics down I think.

I'm looking for a resource that is the next level or something procedural. The Cookbook is good but I'm not grasping some of it at the moment.

Thank you for the replies!

The Tuning School has online and in-person training. It is good for learning the fundamentals. More advanced schools, but not necessarily specific to the Mustang platforms are HP Academy and EFI University.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP