Thread: Iat sensor calibration/ transfer function for Roush, VMP,Whipple etc.

Tuner in Training

Iat sensor calibration/ transfer function for Roush, VMP,Whipple etc.

What are your guys thought on the aftermarket IAT sensor that VMP sells.Looks like a typical Gm IAT sensor. Do we need to re-calibrate the IAT transfer function in the software? I would say yes as it is no longer in the maf. I wounder if the difference is anything to worry with.
    LSX AM 444
    Runner up in points 2011
    3rd in points 2012
    8.14@166 all motor
    Driver/ Tuner car 414 Texas mile 263.2mph

Senior Tuner
    Also interested in this. Strangely their description says "stock style" tunes which to me means NOT a Whipple operating system. Doesn't the Whipple tune already sample IAT in a different way?

Senior Tuner
    So if I am reading correctly, the Whipple install has the installer put in a pigtail connector to one of the IMRC connectors, and runs it to a new ACT sensor installed in the intake manifold, post intercooler that uses the output sent originally to the IMRC control. It is NOT readable via the scanner and is NOT mapped to a PID in the calibration.

This is different than how the VMP pigtail works, which simply "splits off" the wires that went to the MAF/ACT sensor in the factory location and allows the extension to reach a new sensor which gets installed in the blower manifold. This would be a relocation of the sensor reading but not adding an additional actual sensor. While to me it offers the benefit of seeing post intercooler temps, it doesn't allow you to monitor pre blower temps, youre stuck with just one reading.

I have no idea if the sensor they are providing has the same properties as the stock MAF based ACT sensor, but I would guess it isn't the same and you would need to tweak the tune to match the new sensor.
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 07-25-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Senior Tuner
    So Whipple confirmed their setup is NOT readable and is not mapped to a PID in the tune calibration.

That said, they confirmed it is a GT500 sensor and can be read converting the ohms using the standard GT500 calibration info.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    So Whipple confirmed their setup is NOT readable and is not mapped to a PID in the tune calibration.
    This isn’t something Mr Brooks could help with is it??

I haven’t seen a Whipple electrical schematic but I thought one of those left over IMRC plugs was used to control the heat exchanger pump or fans....

Senior Tuner
    HP tuners fixed it, it’s now available as IAT2 in the scanner

Senior Tuner
    Tho I will say I am suspect of its accuracy, seems to not move very much at all, I’ve wondered if what were logging in the scanner is heavily filtered/smoothed Or just a modeled intake air temp.

Tuner
    What happened to your idea to log that via a custom PID? I thought you figured out the GT500 sensor with a formula

Senior Tuner
    Def did and it worked, but man the output moves around ALOT. Very close to selling the car so progress has slowed