Thread: Licensing

Tuner

Licensing

I'm undertaking a project where I need to flash in a number of trans and engine OS's until I find a compatible match as the vehicle was not originally equipped with a T43. From what I understand, HPTuners will require two credits for each time I do this which of course is going to blow the cost out pretty quickly. Have I understood this correctly? If so, can I buy some extras and have them reset when I've consumed them?

Advanced Tuner
    You have to license the TCM itself and the file(s) you flash in. Once you license a controller (i.e. TCM) OR a file, those credits are gone and cannot be "restored".
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner
    Really, the TCM is paired to the license? I can understand the ECM but the TCM as well? So if you have a module failure and it has to be replaced it has to be re-licensed?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    T43 tcm license is included in the cost of the ecm license. It is not separate
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 08-01-2017 at 06:41 AM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTuner View Post
    Really, the TCM is paired to the license? I can understand the ECM but the TCM as well? So if you have a module failure and it has to be replaced it has to be re-licensed?
    The license is paired to the TCM serial #/OS combo. If you change the TCM OR base file and try to flash the TCM, you'll have to purchase additional credits to license the new file and/or TCM.

Yes, if your TCM dies, you'll need to re-license it to flash it as the new TCM serial # will not match the old serial #. As Bill confirmed below, this is NOT the case. A replacement TCM will not require an additional license.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    T43 tcm license is included in the cost of the even license. It is not separate
    It is included in the original ECM/TCM read, yes. The OP wants to mix n match TCM OS', in this case he will need to purchase additional credits to license the other TCM files and flash them in.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; 08-01-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Updated w/info from Bill
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    The license is paired to the TCM serial #/OS combo. If you change the TCM OR base file and try to flash the TCM, you'll have to purchase additional credits to license the new file and/or TCM.

Yes, if your TCM dies, you'll need to re-license it to flash it as the new TCM serial # will not match the old serial #.

It is included in the original ECM/TCM read, yes. The OP wants to mix n match TCM OS', in this case he will need to purchase additional credits to license the other TCM files and flash them in.
    his question was "Really, the TCM is paired to the license? I can understand the ECM but the TCM as well? So if you have a module failure and it has to be replaced it has to be re-licensed?"

The fact is, no it doesn't need to be relicensed. When you read the ecm and tcm together the software ONLY licenses the ecm in T43 applications such as this so if he had a tcm failure and replaced it once he reads out the ecm & new tcm again it should not ask him to relicense it. That was the question I was answering

Now, if he's trying to flash in someone elses ecm/tcm file yes it will ask him to license it upon flash, thats a completely different question & scenario.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    his question was "Really, the TCM is paired to the license? I can understand the ECM but the TCM as well? So if you have a module failure and it has to be replaced it has to be re-licensed?"

The fact is, no it doesn't need to be relicensed. When you read the ecm and tcm together the software ONLY licenses the ecm in T43 applications such as this so if he had a tcm failure and replaced it once he reads out the ecm & new tcm again it should not ask him to relicense it. That was the question I was answering Ah good to know, I was under the impression it would need to be re-licensed in this situation as well.

Now, if he's trying to flash in someone elses ecm/tcm file yes it will ask him to license it upon flash, thats a completely different question & scenario. Got it.
    Thanks for the clarification Bill, should help those out who experience a T43 failure (hope it's few and far between).
    ~Erik~