Thread: Reverse Engineering or Backwarding.... :)

Question Reverse Engineering or Backwarding.... :)

This is egg before the Chicken.
    I have an LS3 525HP engine sitting in a crate. I am putting it into a C2 Corvette. I will be hooking it to a 4L75E because the tunnel cannot take a 4L80 or 6L anything without hacking the tunnel to death.
    I like the idea of being able to do my own tuning. So assume the following (because its true lol)

I have not purchased the ECM, Wire Harness or TCU

So if you were about to purchase the electronics that HPTune would tune, what units would you purchase?
    Would you buy GM off the shelf or go 3rd party provider? If 3rd Party...whom?
    Then once purchased, and I go to buy HPTuner, I can't VIN the car because thats not the engine that came with it?
    So do you Ser# the modules and buy credits that way?
    Not sure if this is the place to put this post or not but did not want to foul up the GM boards with a question like this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dennis

Advanced Tuner
    Always better to plan well in advance, rather than trying to make a mismatch of parts work together after the fact.

HPT (HP Tuners) is a very good DIY tuning product. However, learning to tune on a Gen 4 engine (your LS3) means learning to tune an E38 or E67 ECM - a very, very steep learning curve.

As long as the 4L70 that you have has an input speed sensor (ISS) - it should if it is indeed an actual 4L70 - then production GM controllers (not GMPP) would be the easiest to work with (tune).

Most aftermarket wiring harness manufacturers will use production GM controllers.

Your LS3 has a 58x CKP, and could be controlled by an E38 or E67 ECM. The matching controller for the 4L70 is a T42 TCM.

Tuning software (generally) licenses each controller via it's unique serial number, or a combination of this unique serial number and the VIN programmed into the controller.

Where to purchase these items ? I see by your Avatar that your are Canadian ... if you want I could send you a PM (private message) for a Canadian company that offers these items.

The tranny will be a 4L70E (although they apparently modded it and they sell 4L75E) both have the extra two pins for in/out speed sensor that the earlier models did not have.
    If you look at the LS3/525 Connect and Cruise http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...rtrain-systems
    You can see the complete package breakdown below. I could not afford the entire package at once because I had to buy so many other things to make the restomod.
    So figured I better buy as much as I could when the US/CAD dollar were at par.
    So I need the electronic Package and Tranny. A GM guy here who works part time on other cars said the wiring harness from GM has too many things I do not need and to get a Painless unit.
    Not sure about that as I look at Painless and it looks as complicated with connectors as does the GM unit. The other thing that concerned me is warranty issues. ie. Using a non GM TCM on a new Tranny etc.
    The reason I would like to Tune, is the restomod will have twin turbo's which will need tweaking so as not to lean out the LS3 when varying boost. I realize that boosting a 525hp is tricky and at best you can so 8-10pounds of boost. But, the car will be a show car as well. so twin turbo's balance the tire tub out nicely.
    I am a retired Military electronics tech and have always wrenched my own cars. I have time on my hands so can spend the time to learn.
    So it sounds like I should stick to GM parts for at least the modules... in which case its easy to hack off some extra connectors on the GM harness so may go all GM then
    Yes a contact in Canada would be good if near me.....but nothing is really really near me Montana is closer than civilization in Canada.
    Thanks for info

Connect & Cruise System Components:

Part Number: Connect & Cruise CPSLS3765254L70E
    Engine: 19301360
    Engine Control System: 19354332
    Transmission: 19299055
    Torque Converter: 19299803
    Transmission Control System: 19302405
    Flywheel Kit: N/A
    Transmission Installation Kit: 19259117