Thread: Advanced Tap-Shift help needed! Using Arduino + CAN shield to drive Tap-Shift!

Tuner

Advanced Tap-Shift help needed! Using Arduino + CAN shield to drive Tap-Shift!

So, as the title says I am looking for the PID to command tap-shift up/down. I have a Silverado 2500HD engine/trans (Ly6 engine & 6L90e trans) in my KIA Sorento. I used HPTuners to get everything up and running. After browsing TONS of threads about using Tap-Shift I found that there aren't many options. I either have to get a BCM from a Silverado.. This may or may not work because I haven't looked into any issues resulting in trying to ONLY use the BCM for the tap shift driver. OR option 2 is to reprogram the TCM as a Corvette 6L90 and use the 1 wire shift setup. However I have read countless threads about people having issues with this method. I don't know if there is a true solution for doing the Corvette reprogram.
    So here is what I was thinking... I have a Arduino with CAN-BUS shield. I can read and send messages with the shield. I am trying to find out what the shift up/down message is that is sent from the BCM to the transmission. If I can find this out then I think I can mimic this message with the Arduino there by controlling tap shift simply with a cheap solution. Also the Arduino can pull any PID I choose and log it or display it on an external LCD. Great for any kind of gauge or data display (current gear for example)
    I know this is a LOOOONG shot but perhaps there are some other members on here that play with Arduinos... Or even someone in Northeast Ohio that can let me pull CAN messages with my setup while they drive and use tap shift. This would allow me to "hijack" the PID messages.

Quote Originally Posted by LSxPoweredSorento View Post
    So, as the title says I am looking for the PID to command tap-shift up/down. I have a Silverado 2500HD engine/trans (Ly6 engine & 6L90e trans) in my KIA Sorento. I used HPTuners to get everything up and running. After browsing TONS of threads about using Tap-Shift I found that there aren't many options. I either have to get a BCM from a Silverado.. This may or may not work because I haven't looked into any issues resulting in trying to ONLY use the BCM for the tap shift driver. OR option 2 is to reprogram the TCM as a Corvette 6L90 and use the 1 wire shift setup. However I have read countless threads about people having issues with this method. I don't know if there is a true solution for doing the Corvette reprogram.
    So here is what I was thinking... I have a Arduino with CAN-BUS shield. I can read and send messages with the shield. I am trying to find out what the shift up/down message is that is sent from the BCM to the transmission. If I can find this out then I think I can mimic this message with the Arduino there by controlling tap shift simply with a cheap solution. Also the Arduino can pull any PID I choose and log it or display it on an external LCD. Great for any kind of gauge or data display (current gear for example)
    I know this is a LOOOONG shot but perhaps there are some other members on here that play with Arduinos... Or even someone in Northeast Ohio that can let me pull CAN messages with my setup while they drive and use tap shift. This would allow me to "hijack" the PID messages.
    Sorry to go off topic here, but did you say you have a LY6 and a 6L90 in a KIA SORENTO?! Do you have any pictures or information on this swap?

Tuner
    CAN 11-bit ID
    ID: 0x1F3
    2-byte message
    +1.7:6 - Shift Lever TAP <= Use this, try all combinations
    +1.3:2 - Steering Wheel TAP
    +0.5 - Shift Pattern Select 1
    +0.4 - Shift Pattern Select 3
    +0.3 - Shift Pattern Select 2
    +0.0 - OVERDRIVE INHIBIT ???
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbar715 View Post
    Sorry to go off topic here, but did you say you have a LY6 and a 6L90 in a KIA SORENTO?! Do you have any pictures or information on this swap?
    Haha... Yes, that's exactly what I said. It also has a Ny-Trex Triple Threat V8 Wet Nitrous Kit on it jetted to 150hp but I haven't used it YET. Sitting "on deck" for this winter is a rebuilt supercharger from an LSA engine that I got from ZZPerformance.
    It's a pretty short story really... The factory engine jumped timing because the KIA 3.8L DOHC V6s have flawed timing chain tensioners. The little lock foot that is supposed to hold the tensioner extended when oil pressure drops (engine is shut off) couldn't hold back a feather. So every time you start the engine the lock fails and the chains are fully un-tensioned until oil pressure builds through the idiotically designed oil passages. This causes the chain (normally the passenger side chain only) to saw the chain guides to pieces. Mine was so bad that it completely cut off the guide between the cam gears and only half of the "idler" guide was left. After praying to every deity I could think of and dumping a bucket load of money into parts I had it back together and running. Unfortunately I was either chosen for smiting or the damage was already FAR to excessive. On my wife's way to work catastrophy struck and #1 piston was in a ton of small pieces, broken and bent valves, con-rod broken off just below the wrist pin, and the rod punched straight up into the deck.
    In order to replace the engine with an "updated" version it would have set me back about 5,000 American Greenbacks... Yeah, no freaking thanks. I told my wife... I can get an iron block LSx v8 for less then that. She said "Then why don't you" and so it began.

As for pictures. I have tons. I also have a bunch of videos too. I would plaster a bunch up here but its like 1am and I'm super tired. So I'll toss up a couple and link you to my Sorento's Facebook page and my YouTube page as well. The Facebook page follows the build and all the various other interesting happenings!
    Oh also on my YouTube channel you will see the RWD & LS1 swapped Chevy HHR that I did a boat load of work on as well.

Facebook Page - www.facebook.com/LSxSorento
    YouTube Account - https://www.youtube.com/c/OverRevvedRacing

BurnoutOverhead.jpg

20150925_003026.jpg

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbar715 View Post
    Haha yes I did say KIA Sorento. I made a post but it didn't show up... I saw a screen for a brief second that said something about moderator approval? I posted pictures and a link to my Facebook page for the Sorento so maybe that's why? Ill give it a bit to see if it shows up. If not I will rewrite the post.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by verlon View Post
    CAN 11-bit ID
    ID: 0x1F3
    2-byte message
    +1.7:6 - Shift Lever TAP <= Use this, try all combinations
    +1.3:2 - Steering Wheel TAP
    +0.5 - Shift Pattern Select 1
    +0.4 - Shift Pattern Select 3
    +0.3 - Shift Pattern Select 2
    +0.0 - OVERDRIVE INHIBIT ???
    Thanks for the info man!! You only mentioned Shift Lever TAP but not tap up or down... Is there a specific one for each or how does that work? Out of curiosity is there a database somewhere with the GM specific CAN message info?

Thanks again!!

Tuner
    Thanks for the info man!! You only mentioned Shift Lever TAP but not tap up or down... Is there a specific one for each or how does that work? Out of curiosity is there a database somewhere with the GM specific CAN message info?

Thanks again!!
    There are two bits (7:6 in byte 1) for shift lever tap command, obviously 00 is idle, other combinations represents up and down switch states. Just try sending all remaining combinations and observe Transmission Data with Tech2.
    There are no such database in public access, but some info you can find in GMLan Bible:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...kn0/edit#gid=1
    This particular message layout i've got while reverse engineering BCM.

Tuner
    There are two bits (7:6 in byte 1) for shift lever tap command, obviously 00 is idle, other combinations represents up and down switch states. Just try sending all remaining combinations and observe Transmission Data with Tech2.
    There are no such database in public access, but some info you can find in GMLan Bible:
    That's awesome man! Thank you VERY much!! I will give it a shot and see how it works. Unfortunately my current shifter setup (the stock Kia Sorento unit) doesn't have enough travel to move the trans selector to the M position. I didn't realize​ when building the car that I'd have issues like this with the shifter throw. It's honestly pretty crazy that there are SO MANY detent positions on the transmission lever, when all the info I have found says it literally only uses P-R-N-D-M.
    I am thinking of possibly using a small kick lever to throw the trans side of the lever to the M position when I put the factory Kia shifter into its factory Tap shift slot. The factory Kia shifter has only Park through Drive, then it kicks over to the right for tap shift. There are switches that told the TCM that it was pushed over into the manual mode gate and switched for up and down. They have no resistors which is nice because it allows me to put in whatever I need.

Out of curiosity, what were you reverse engineering the BCM for?

Tuner
    I am thinking of possibly using a small kick lever to throw the trans side of the lever to the M position when I put the factory Kia shifter into its factory Tap shift slot. The factory Kia shifter has only Park through Drive, then it kicks over to the right for tap shift. There are switches that told the TCM that it was pushed over into the manual mode gate and switched for up and down. They have no resistors which is nice because it allows me to put in whatever I need.
    Look at CTS2 shift lever, may be you'll find something useful.

Out of curiosity, what were you reverse engineering the BCM for?
    Many things:
    - Remote start activation and running time extension (up to 40min)
    - DRL
    - Flash-to-pass
    - Fog lamps
    - US<>EU Tail lamps conversion
    - Intellibeam
    - Wiper rain sensor
    - Wiper speed compensation (it's properly tuned but disabled)
    and many unique modifications for various aftermarket devices integration

Tuner
    Look at CTS2 shift lever, may be you'll find something useful.

Many things:
    - Remote start activation and running time extension (up to 40min)
    - DRL
    - Flash-to-pass
    - Fog lamps
    - US<>EU Tail lamps conversion
    - Intellibeam
    - Wiper rain sensor
    - Wiper speed compensation (it's properly tuned but disabled)
    and many unique modifications for various aftermarket devices integration
    That's awesome! When I had my VW R32 I bought a VAG-COM cable for it that allowed you to change features like that. For example I changed my headlight program from USA to Euro spec. The R32 Golf had unique headlights with HID projectors that had a flapper door that moved for low and high beams. If also had standard halogen bulbs inboard of the projectors. In the USA spec they are NEVER used because with the halogen high beams and the projector high beams they are above the US DOT light output laws for high beams. I thought that was absurd until I changed the program allowing them to work again. Good...... God...... It was insane how much light they delivered. Also how wide the beam spread was (may also have been part of why they were shut off here). You could definitely see enough to the sides to clearly make a corner at speed in pitch black night.
    Anyway... I'm rambling...
    Where I was going with this was... I don't have a BCM from the donor Silverado. Does HP Tuners have the ability to edit the BCM program?
    Were you reverse engineering it to build your own BCM or can you edit it to allow some other features to work... You mentioned extending the remote start run time for example.
    I ask because id I can't get the Arduino to mimic the BCM i may need to get a BCM from a Silverado. However I don't know how well it will work if I don't feed it ALL the inputs it's expecting. For example door switches, alarm sensors, brake pedal position, and so on.
    Thanks man! You sound like you like to learn everything you can about something your working on. So do I.... But I'm just getting started. LoL. I am not super familiar with CAN yet but I learn quickly.
    Thank you again for your awesome assistance!!!

Tuner
    HPT can do nothing with BCM, EfiLive can write only, but very expensive.
    I've found how to write it two years before EfiLive even announced BCM support. It's very similar to ECM - one can change calibration (enable/disable options and DTCs, change constants and tables) and apply minor OS patches. To build your own BCM software is a very complicated task, no one will do it out of enthusiasm.

Potential Tuner
    Did you get this working? i am trying to do a same on my ls swap and need little more information if you can help me with the ids

Potential Tuner
    Hey, i need help with Can id for ignition key switch position. is there some one can help sniff ?? thanks for the help