Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6L90E Help

6L90E Help

looking for some help, have a built 2011 Camaro SS with approx. 750 hp and 750 max torque. the trans has went out 3 times in the last 9 months. I am running the built right stage 2 trans kit. I know some will say the trans wont hold up at this hp and other will says it fine. I am really hoping someone can help tell me see if there is anything wrong in the tune files. the trans tune I wrote (more of a copy paste) a while ago. the second is the tune that was running in the car for the last few months. the trans is warrantied for labor but if its the tune I don't feel like I should make them warranty it if the tune is wrong. I am running a circle D 2600-2800 stall but am now going to a yank 3600 stall while the tranny is out this time. any input would be greatly appreciated. its hard to find any good tuners in my area and don't want to blame the tune or the builder. just looking for help71956Transtune_07_25_17.hpt 07_25_17.hpt
    Last edited by dwright122; 07-30-2017 at 07:43 PM.

I haven't tuned one of these in a car yet but the first tune I think has the shift times itself too quick and not enough changes to the pressures and on-coming pressure presets. If the shift times were around .2300-.2500 and you increase the shift pressure slighty as well as increase the on-coming pressure presets, you'd have a better working transmission.

In a truck I don't go below .3000 for shift times but I play with pressure settings and the pressure presets and make it shift/work way better. That's just a few on my thoughts, again I haven't done a car yet and nothing with a converter like that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I haven't tuned one of these in a car yet but the first tune I think has the shift times itself too quick and not enough changes to the pressures and on-coming pressure presets. If the shift times were around .2300-.2500 and you increase the shift pressure slighty as well as increase the on-coming pressure presets, you'd have a better working transmission.

In a truck I don't go below .3000 for shift times but I play with pressure settings and the pressure presets and make it shift/work way better. That's just a few on my thoughts, again I haven't done a car yet and nothing with a converter like that.
    thanks, I will try to make some adjustments.

Tuning Addict
    What kind of injectors / fuel setup and how was the tune adjusted for these? Problems in the torque model in the tune - not the actual transmission tune although as pointed out it could have been adjusted better than it was. These transmissions will handle this easy enough - can't handle being beat to death constantly, but they'll handle the daily driver and weekend warrior driving habits. Looks like whomever maxed the injector setting then pulled air out instead of scaling injectors correctly, but just a guess as I don't know the injectors in the vehicle...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

The injectors are id1300 with a squash mechanical double pumper with return system

Also want to point out this car only has 3,000 miles on it since the first tranny rebuild no I am having to rebuild it again. Been to the track 4 times. I am just getting wore out on this thing. I believe it's the tune but am told I am crazy

Tuning Addict
    It's how they scaled the injectors... I was afraid you had some big ones in there. They should have done the double stoic/half ifr adjustment instead of the way they did. You should have had something like 145lb/hr, but as you can see - the calibration won't let anything this big be entered, so your "tuner" maxed it out then took fueling back out of the MAF without counter adjusting in the torque model which is what controls your line pressure for the transmission which is why your burning yours out left and right... You can correct yourself by multiplying your torque model airmass A by 1.75ish and going from there... Best thing would be to find a tuner who knows what they're doing and understands the torque model and what it does.... AND ask specifically about injector scaling and how they do it and how they go about tuning the tq model...

I believe this will better explain things...

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...-torque-tables
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

I won't call people out or bad mouth anyone but I was told they did know. It took 3 tuners before they even got the car to run. I see you are in the Carolinas would you be interested? I have too much mo eye in the car to use as a learning tool from me. I have access to a dyno anytime. I have spent 5k in tuning and am just looking for someone who knows what they are doing. I understand the scaling concept. Just do not all of the tables to do it in

Tuning Addict
    Wait I just reread that - 3 tuners = $5000 - maybe I don't charge enough AND then it took all 3 of these to get it to run?

PM was sent - if your interested just call and schedule it in...

~Greg Huggins~

Sweet baby Jesus,

And I felt bad after my 1st and only trip to the cleaners lol.
    dwright122, make that call to Greg and you wont have to go through all this again.
    C6 Grand Sport A6

LS3, YSI @18# , E85, NOS, Circle D 3800, RPM Stage IV w/ 3.15, Penske Coilovers, 15" rear conversion.

1008 RWHP 855 RWTQ

Damn, I hate to hear these stories....I get them all the time about clients visiting several tuners and just not getting the issues worked out for one reason or another but are charged a lot of money....

Have to be very careful and do your research before commiting your setup to a shop/tuner. This Forum is a great place to get the background so you can ask the right questions. Remember the saying.."an educated consumer is our best customer..". I know it was for mens suits but it still applies...

And yes Greg, from my experience over the last 2 and a half years, I too am not charging enough but by the time most find the right shop, their funds are low and they need the help :-)

Hey Brian, hope all is well. How is the car running?

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuning Addict
    Thank You for the referral Brian. You decide to go with the yank or other converter or are you going all out drag setup now?

Dave's had some "last tuner/installer" issues. I really wish performance shops had some sort of certification requirement - I think it would cut out things like this where someone gets gipped...

Yes Ed, I know what you mean - I get yelled at for giving breaks for instances like this a lot. But we do what we have to, right

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Damn, I hate to hear these stories....I get them all the time about clients visiting several tuners and just not getting the issues worked out for one reason or another but are charged a lot of money....

Have to be very careful and do your research before commiting your setup to a shop/tuner. This Forum is a great place to get the background so you can ask the right questions. Remember the saying.."an educated consumer is our best customer..". I know it was for mens suits but it still applies...

And yes Greg, from my experience over the last 2 and a half years, I too am not charging enough but by the time most find the right shop, their funds are low and they need the help :-)

Hey Brian, hope all is well. How is the car running?

Ed M
    Hey there Ed ! Everything is good as I could hope for right now, thanks for asking ! I hope you are getting better ! Ill have to touch base soon and catch up.
    The car is finally top notch, at least how it runs. I have had my fair share of torque converter issues the last 6 months but I might have that worked out now too.
    I'll know tomorrow evening I hope.
    C6 Grand Sport A6

LS3, YSI @18# , E85, NOS, Circle D 3800, RPM Stage IV w/ 3.15, Penske Coilovers, 15" rear conversion.

1008 RWHP 855 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Thank You for the referral Brian. You decide to go with the yank or other converter or are you going all out drag setup now?

Dave's had some "last tuner/installer" issues. I really wish performance shops had some sort of certification requirement - I think it would cut out things like this where someone gets gipped...

Yes Ed, I know what you mean - I get yelled at for giving breaks for instances like this a lot. But we do what we have to, right
    Greg I'm going to go all out it looks like, I do have another setup Im testing tomorrow evening, it seems to be closer to what I'm after but at the end of the day, I am going with the glide and 9" IRS conversion. I wont have it installed before Sept. but its going to be going in hopefully right after that weekend race is over. Ill text you this weekend and let you know how it went.
    C6 Grand Sport A6

1008 RWHP 855 RWTQ

PT FINAL.hpt082617.hplOkay so I appreciate all the help on this and here is where I am at, I put the new trans in Friday night, my plan is to have Greg do a final tune on the car but I cant get to installing all of the nitrous controls at this time. so I am trying to learn all of the tuning myself for the time being, 1. either finish tuning it or get Greg to. but for the time being I am just trying to make sure the trans is safe as I cant put a forth trans in it. I have tuned the trans using the tuning school method. I am not real familiar with how a 3600 stall should feel but you cant feel it or here it when it shifts, its just a continuous gain in rpm and speed. I cannot do any wide open throttle pulls yet as Yank recommends a 150 mile break in. I scaled the Virtual torque tables by 1.75 as recommended by Greg. I am hoping one of you all can take a look at the tune file and scan and let me know your input. the car put down 770 ft. lbs of torque at 4050 rpm the last time it was on the dyno and my engine torque in the scans shows about 632 ft lbs. at 2950 rmp. so I am hoping it is close so I am not tearing up another trans. any input would be appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    Took a quick look and one thing I would not do is disable torque management like that. It can be reduced in some areas, but the trans will last much better with it on.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    Took a quick look and one thing I would not do is disable torque management like that. It can be reduced in some areas, but the trans will last much better with it on.
    I will go back through it and try to adjust it.

Are you referring to the upshift and downshift enable/disable tabs?

Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    ......and shift better

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Dwright122 did that per the The Tuning School guide he has mentioned earlier. Their A6 guide has you disable torque management, actually even their new GM A4/A6 guide also has you disable torque management on A6 transmissions. I haven't tuned my 6L90e yet, but I have read from most members here that limiting torque management works better then disabling it.

Hi Ed, hope you have been well. I haven't talked with you on here before, but I have purchased your Tuning Guide. Just wanted to say thank you for everything you do for the community.

S7