Thread: Territory boost spiking

Potential Tuner

Territory boost spiking

Hey guys,

Im new to HP tuners and tuning efi in general. Have done a few LS MAF cars with some success however I am having trouble with a Turbo Territory. The owner had put a 3 inch exhaust on and an SCT Capa tune with 42 lb injectors and everything was sorta ok but uninspiring. He then put a front mount cooler on and a 4 inch dump pipe and exhaust. Boost was uncontrollable and he then fitted a GTX3582R with a 12lb actuator and the flash tunes he was getting were not working well so I got him to load a std tune and had a play with HPT.

We quickly found the limits of the stock pump at 357hp and upgraded it along with bigger injectors. The data sheet we got was jibberish so I played around till it ran reasonable and did a couple of power runs in with a rich mixture 10.5:1 to check boost control. Unfortunately boost just keeps heading north and will go past 20 psi if we stay on it. I was under the impression that the 3582r had a bigger wastegate flap and ive certainly seen a couple of F6,s making 500+hp at the tyres with a similar setup. Can anyone shed some light on what is happening? Have tried using a manual boost controller with same results.

Cheers

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark8953 View Post
    Hey guys,

Im new to HP tuners and tuning efi in general. Have done a few LS MAF cars with some success however I am having trouble with a Turbo Territory. The owner had put a 3 inch exhaust on and an SCT Capa tune with 42 lb injectors and everything was sorta ok but uninspiring. He then put a front mount cooler on and a 4 inch dump pipe and exhaust. Boost was uncontrollable and he then fitted a GTX3582R with a 12lb actuator and the flash tunes he was getting were not working well so I got him to load a std tune and had a play with HPT.

We quickly found the limits of the stock pump at 357hp and upgraded it along with bigger injectors. The data sheet we got was jibberish so I played around till it ran reasonable and did a couple of power runs in with a rich mixture 10.5:1 to check boost control. Unfortunately boost just keeps heading north and will go past 20 psi if we stay on it. I was under the impression that the 3582r had a bigger wastegate flap and ive certainly seen a couple of F6,s making 500+hp at the tyres with a similar setup. Can anyone shed some light on what is happening? Have tried using a manual boost controller with same results.

Cheers

Mark
    You will need speak with who supplied the turbo, and get some info on wastegate port size.
    Ive never had much success with anything less then a 36mm port with proper channelling and shaping.

You could bypass the boost controller and just run it off gate spring pressure, to make sure that boost controller is not
    issue. But i would expect the issue is wastegate flow related.

Potential Tuner
    Ok, so it has 38mm hole and 42 mm flapper.

38mm should be fine, depending on how well the port is shaped to direct exhaust gases out the wastegate.
    Make sure the actuator rod angle is straight and not kinked, I have had a turbosmart actuator rod that was not aligned correctly which caused
    it to drag on the rod bush, This caused a restriction preventing the actuator from opening at spring pressure.

Tuner
    What are you reqesting in the desired boost and wastegate duty cycle tables?
    Generally when you fit a dump pipe on these engines you need a turbo that has been ported correctly not just a larger machined hole and bigger flap.

I found the same and had to channel the inside of the housing to make a smooth pathway to the wastegate hole. Before I did this it was almost a 90 degree bend!