Thread: Why So Many Throttle/Accelerator Position Channels to scan

Why So Many Throttle/Accelerator Position Channels to scan

This is on a 05 GTO LS2, E40 ECM. Which throttle position reading does the ECM/TCM use for things like automatic transmission shifting. Because Ive logged all of those and they all give different throttle position readings. None of them seem to correlate to the tables in the TCM for part throttle shifting as well.

Which one does the TCM and ECM use?

Capture.PNG

Electronic Throttle Control have redundant sensors for safety. You have redundant pedal sensors, then you have redundant throttle blade unit sensors and they all read differently on purpose. I know my PE Fuel Throttle table reads from the "PE TPS" PID which I see you dont have and some people dont have the PID, but do have the Table in editer, so that could be your scenario (you don't have the required PID). BUT you may still see a relationship with one of the other sensors just like these people do that are missing the PE TPS Channel.

I personally like the old school cable throttles for these cars. I do see why they do it with the new trucks and towing with the small motors (5.3)... it will go WOT in closed loop and still to try to maintain speed still keep the trans in current gear, if speed drops to much while at WOT then it will kick down a gear. With the old school cable and towing, there wasn't a way to get WOT and not change gears. All adds up to better economy so at least it's ok for towing. Drives me nuts when I give 25% pedal yet ECU gives 100% Throttle at low rpm to make it feel extra torquey.

Sorry that didnt answer your question but I feel better.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    Electronic Throttle Control have redundant sensors for safety. You have redundant pedal sensors, then you have redundant throttle blade unit sensors and they all read differently on purpose. I know my PE Fuel Throttle table reads from the "PE TPS" PID which I see you dont have and some people dont have the PID, but do have the Table in editer, so that could be your scenario (you don't have the required PID). BUT you may still see a relationship with one of the other sensors just like these people do that are missing the PE TPS Channel.

I personally like the old school cable throttles for these cars. I do see why they do it with the new trucks and towing with the small motors (5.3)... it will go WOT in closed loop and still to try to maintain speed still keep the trans in current gear, if speed drops to much while at WOT then it will kick down a gear. With the old school cable and towing, there wasn't a way to get WOT and not change gears. All adds up to better economy so at least it's ok for towing. Drives me nuts when I give 25% pedal yet ECU gives 100% Throttle at low rpm to make it feel extra torquey.

Sorry that didnt answer your question but I feel better.
    Yeah I get that about the redundant sensors, but why couldnt have GM labeled them better? Or is that up to HPTuners to correctly identify and label? Because literally all of those "throttle position" channels have a different reading, and I have no idea what the ECM/TCM reference when it comes to things like transmission tables, PE, etc.

I use Throttle Position (SAE). 100% throttle shows 88% in the chart.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Senior Tuner
    i just logged them all and then found the pedal and throttle body % i wanted then removed the others now i can see my pedal input and what the TB is doing compared to what i want it to and i also log pedal mode also it shows if ur in idle, pedal, max, cruise or TM ect if u have that option

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    i just logged them all and then found the pedal and throttle body % i wanted then removed the others now i can see my pedal input and what the TB is doing compared to what i want it to and i also log pedal mode also it shows if ur in idle, pedal, max, cruise or TM ect if u have that option
    What he said. SAE will work though obviously.