Thread: FG XR6T P1227 Fault after new exhaust?

Tuner

FG XR6T P1227 Fault after new exhaust?

I think I've answered my own questions from research but I'll post here in any case to make sure.

Brother inlaw has a 2009 FG Turbo, just had a 4" dump, free flow cat etc exhaust installed, also has plazmaman intercooler/piping etc that was fitted before issue started.

He's now getting a P1227 fault (Wastegate Failed Closed Over Pressure).

From reading it's due to the free flowing exhaust and the wastegate needing porting, nothing to do with the tune, could this be correct?

We've checked to make sure the actuator is working properly with compressed air (can see arm moving), also inspected all lines etc.

I've pulled the tune and it looks stock from compare files i have put it against.

Am i able to have a fiddle (safely) with maybe the wastegate settings in the tune to overcome the issue (threshold etc)?

Haven't logged it as yet, exhaust was only fitted a few days ago.

I've got plenty of LS experience (tune my LS 6L turbo, know enough to get me into trouble), never played with a ford tune though to date.

Advanced Tuner
    Hi,

Sorry I haven't done any FG's as I basically on do my own BF Ute. But definitely feasible that the mods you guys have done is far beyond the stock tunes capability I know in the early days anything over a centre muffler delete would cause issues.
    Basically the wastegate duty cycle table is the one you need. Lower the values (or just zero the whole table out for a quick test), high values increase boost and vice versa. There are some other tables that relating to the closed loop aspect of the boost control (overshoot/undershoot) but you should need those yet and when you get going there are some things under airflow tab you may need later also. They are the thresholds and also can be multipliers for the WGDC table.
    I'm not a huge amount of help at the moment as I'm just literally opening my tuning laptop after about 14 months to start playing again (just become a dad)
    I never really get too familiar with tuning the factory EBC in closed loop as being a back yarder I street tune and hire dynos for WOT stuff so I went the Eboost2 route as I can change boost on the fly quickly so saved me money on the dyno. It's also handy on the street as I like have a couple different boost groups as I don't always have et streets on and need to take a lot of power out quickly until the road speed increases. Spinnin aint winning!
    Anyway sorry I'm not a huge amount of help but hopefully I'll be more regular on here again and will help where I can!
    And welcome to the forum.
    Cheers.
    Mic
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Tuner
    Thanks for the reply Mic.

We logged it on Sunday and it's boosting up to 15psi then throwing the code, coming on fairly hard too.

So what we've done is got the exhaust shop to fit the factory cat converter back into the system for now until BIL can get it to a dyno and get it tuned properly, so far it's fixed the issue so he's happy he can drive it and not cause any damage.

I'd say it is a culmination of both tune and the wastegate needing to be ported causing the code, the new exhaust just pushed it over the threshold.

Advanced Tuner
    No worries, let us know how it goes long term.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

I bet this is a Dubbo Car and the exhaust was fitted by complete 💁*♂️

Am I correct?