Thread: Whipple cranks but won't idle

Tuner

Whipple cranks but won't idle

Car cranked, idled, then died. Cranked but wouldn't idle. Did this a couple of times. Log & Tune attached. Since I'm a n00b, does my log show something that I'm not seeing? Or am I missing something in what I'm logging? Any advice?

Thanks!

second-time-no-start.hpl
    STOCK-ID1300-E85-WHIPPLE_WIPx2.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Im guessing you have a return style fuel system and your base fuel pressure you used was 55. If you are not running a regulator to vary your fuel pressure based on manifold pressure and its set to 55 thats fine. If your regulator does vary with manifold pressure you need to use ~45 for your base.

Wont make a difference as ID injector data defeats the inferred pressure in its return less data, but for return style fuel system you can make the inferred fuel pressure your target pressure for all fuel flows, you can also you can lower the full on threshold because the regulator now has the job of maintaining pressure.

I'm not sure how flipping the direction some of these values go in the tables will effect things, but stock values are usually inverted from what you see in the characterization xls. It may not even matter.

Probably be better to set the IMRC configuration to all 1's and disable switch and position sensor. Then put all your VCT section back to stock. I think tring to copy what Whipple did in their tune is a bad idea and could easily cause a no start issue.

Tuner
    Are you saying I should physically set the fuel pressure to ~45 PSI? Is that with or w/o the boost reference hooked up? Or is there somewhere in the tune I should set this value?

I see why setting them all to 1 makes sense.

I kind of went ape $hit copying all the things from the Whipple tune and wondered if it wasn't gonna be a bad idea having changed too much at once and not knowing what was actually the thing that wouldn't let it start, but also felt like copying all the things would get me "close enough" and could tweak from there.

I have an initial tune (ID1300's, MAF, TB, E85) that actually starts & idles but has a $hit ton of timing at idle in it, scared me...so that's when I went crazy with copying all the things from the Whipple tune.

STOCK-ID1300-E85-WHIPPLE_WIP.hpt
    first-time-idle.hpl

Senior Tuner
    If you have the reference hooked up you need enter your base fuel pressure into ID's injector data sheet. Your base fuel pressure will be what you have the regulator set at minus intake vacuum pressure(make sure units are both in psi). This is usually around 45psi if it's set to 55psi. You get quite different injector data between base fuel pressure 45 and 55.

Tuner
    Perfect. Thank you. Dealing with a lot of rain right now so no opportunity to check this out, but will do so when it lets up. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by esacteksab View Post
    Are you saying I should physically set the fuel pressure to ~45 PSI? Is that with or w/o the boost reference hooked up? Or is there somewhere in the tune I should set this value?

I see why setting them all to 1 makes sense.

I kind of went ape $hit copying all the things from the Whipple tune and wondered if it wasn't gonna be a bad idea having changed too much at once and not knowing what was actually the thing that wouldn't let it start, but also felt like copying all the things would get me "close enough" and could tweak from there.

I have an initial tune (ID1300's, MAF, TB, E85) that actually starts & idles but has a $hit ton of timing at idle in it, scared me...so that's when I went crazy with copying all the things from the Whipple tune.

STOCK-ID1300-E85-WHIPPLE_WIP.hpt
    first-time-idle.hpl
    Try copying everything from the Electronic Throttle section of the tune that starts and idles to the one you are building. The TB Models are drastically different between the tunes.