Thread: 06 Timing Table

Potential Tuner

06 Timing Table

I'm trying to tune my timing. I've been trying to make a towing tune. I've tried to use the timing calculator. Posted in the forum here. With no luck I guess it works good for the pre 06. But when I try to use it. It turns the truck into a smoky mess. Pours out a stream of black smoke. Tried to adjust fuel with no luck. No mater which way I went. Basically put back to stock with a little upper top end advance. Runs clean. I know there is more power to be gained. With timing adjustment. Anybody tuning 06 or 07 with any tips? Thanks
    06 Ram 3500 5.9 Auto 4x4 Flatbed
    B&D Killer B turbo 63mm
    65 HP Nozzles
    Banks Intercooler & Monster Ram Intake
    IAH Delete And Cold air Intake
    Dog ate the Cat

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1352541073 View Post
    I'm trying to tune my timing. I've been trying to make a towing tune. I've tried to use the timing calculator. Posted in the forum here. With no luck I guess it works good for the pre 06. But when I try to use it. It turns the truck into a smoky mess. Pours out a stream of black smoke. Tried to adjust fuel with no luck. No mater which way I went. Basically put back to stock with a little upper top end advance. Runs clean. I know there is more power to be gained. With timing adjustment. Anybody tuning 06 or 07 with any tips? Thanks
    Perhaps sharing your stock base file, as well as a file of what you tried when you ended up with a smokey mess, along with an explanation of what you were attempting to accomplish with the changes you made would help shed some light on your level of understanding diesel tuning concepts and the timing calculator. Just a thought. Hard to know where to start when nobody knows what your level of understanding is.

Potential Tuner
    Here are the tunes. Just trying to achieve good midrange power. I am new to tuning diesels but have done a good amount of gas tuning.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    06 Ram 3500 5.9 Auto 4x4 Flatbed
    B&D Killer B turbo 63mm
    65 HP Nozzles
    Banks Intercooler & Monster Ram Intake
    IAH Delete And Cold air Intake
    Dog ate the Cat

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1352541073 View Post
    Here are the tunes. Just trying to achieve good midrange power. I am new to tuning diesels but have done a good amount of gas tuning.
    Looks like you're using a static value for timing split across the whole map, rather than making it a bit more dynamic. Your fueling appears to be far too advanced in the low load/low RPM sections of the map. Doesn't look bad in the higher load/higher RPM areas. Looks like you're asking for a near 50/50 split pretty much all across the board.

Try using less advance in the low load/low RPM sections of the map to put the heat from the combustion event into the exhaust a little more to spool the turbo up better. Should make the truck more responsive down low, and less smokey.

Keep in mind the old rule of thumb that you want peak cylinder pressure to occur at around 15-20* ATDC for maximum efficiency. In your lower load/lower RPM sections of the map (say around 1500 RPM and around 35% throttle), you're only going to be seeing around 700-1000 uSec of fueling duration, and at 1500 RPM, that's only 6 - 9 degrees of crankshaft rotation. So, if you're trying to put peak cylinder pressure at or around 15* ATDC, and keeping in mind that the flame front and resulting cylinder pressure isn't going to be instantaneous as fuel is injected (think ignition/burn latency), you probably don't want to be spraying fuel into the cylinder any sooner than 3 - 6 degrees ATDC (which would read -3* to -6* in the timing map).