Thread: 3.6 hangs

3.6 hangs

Updated to 3.6 from 3.? And after reading then saving the file, editor hangs trying to open the saved file. All my old settings were saved from past version. File gets saved to desktop. Tried compatibility mode, no change. Can open file by double clicking, or from editor when running, but program hangs every time I read and save and it tries to open. I have win 7. Anyone else have this problem or a fix?

Senior Tuner
    I have it from time to time. Happens on file saves and occasionally when opening a compare file. I also get it when saving files in Scanner. It will freeze at the save progress bar and never recover. I have to close it with the task manager. Then reopen. The good part is it does save, so I don't lose the information, but it can get frustrating.

ive just chalked it up to my laptop, but who knows. I think I even opened a support ticket, but was told they couldn't duplicate it, or something.
    Jaime

When I say hangs, mine never recovers. I close it with task manager. Haven't scanned yet with it to see what happens, but I can't tolerate software not working properly. I'll post the fix when I find it

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    what version of 3.6? What are your pc specs? We can test it here but I personally haven't had any issues thus far.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuning Addict
    I think it's just older processors Bill - mine does it from time to time too even with 3.7 Beta... Only way to close is to use task manager and force a shut down - mine has also "due to me looking online at the same time or whatever" will load the save or close menu that pops up after programming or reading behind the main editor window and again only way to get to it is to click it back up through task manager... It will act completely frozen when it does this until I can get the smaller screen back up front... Small stuff that I'm just living with right now...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    what version of 3.6? What are your pc specs? We can test it here but I personally haven't had any issues thus far.
    8/12/2017 11:24:45 AM

VCM Suite Product: VCM Editor 3.6.26

Operating System: Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Microsoft .NET: 4.0.30319.42000

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz

Available Memory: 2,183 MB

This a clip taken from an Infolog. Total physical RAM is 4GB.
    Jaime

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I think it's just older processors Bill - mine does it from time to time too even with 3.7 Beta... Only way to close is to use task manager and force a shut down - mine has also "due to me looking online at the same time or whatever" will load the save or close menu that pops up after programming or reading behind the main editor window and again only way to get to it is to click it back up through task manager... It will act completely frozen when it does this until I can get the smaller screen back up front... Small stuff that I'm just living with right now...
    my currently main tuning laptop is a 10 year old refurb dell running windows 7 with a 2.2 t7500 core2duo processor 2 gig ram and I haven't had any issues.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    make sure you properly exit scanner to use editor and vice versa.

Ok, I right clicked on editor, went to properties, then compatibility, set it back to win 7, clicked run as administrator (which wasn't checked even though I tried it before letting windows test compatibility and it chose xp sp2 (which did not work, still hung). Clicked ok. Then ran editor, read pcm, saved file and it opened file immediately. Tried 3 more times and it worked perfectly each time. I never restarted laptop, just woke it from hibernation. Can't explain why it works now but when I tried initially I right clicked then chose run as administrator when I ran it, not checking the box in properties/compatibility. Haven't tested scanner yet but did check box(it was unchecked) for run as administrator before I try it. Hope this helps you guys too. I have. Hp g56 notebook. Celeron [email protected]. 3gb ram win7 sp1 .net 4.0.30319.34209 hptuners 3.6.26

Senior Tuner
    Thanks Shnraines. I'm going to look into that later today and see what my configuration shows.
    Jaime

Tuning Addict
    Mine was setup to run as administrator, but when I went into properties - compatibility it wasn't, so made that administrator too - will see if it has any other issues, but mine happened rarely anyway?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

You should not have to run compatibility mode on modern software
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by * _ * View Post
    make sure you properly exit scanner to use editor and vice versa.
    How do you properly exit the scanner or editor?

Advanced Tuner
    selecting stop scanning, select disconnect from vehicle, select file, and select exit.

Simply X'ing out of the scanner accomplishes the same.

However, you shouldn't need to close scanner to use editor. You do have to click the vehicle disconnect button though.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    It sometimes acts flakey if i leave scanner open and run editor when already disconnected.

Tuning Addict
    Keith, it just dawned on me or rather I remembered when all of this really started - it was immediately following the "important" update that was to fix ecm recovery issues and everything - that's when it started opening the editor slower and editor tables slower and hanging... I will say also say that immediately after doing a update the issues go away, but after you use it a few times the "sluggishness" starts to come back - do I just need to be clearing out some sort of cache or something for this?

Anyway, that's when it all started...

~Greg Huggins~

The only thing I can think of right now that would create sluggishness while running is if your my documents folder is not on your local hard drive, like on a network share.

There is no cache, and it shouldn't slow down after time.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...