Thread: learning to tune, couple of questions

Tuner in Training

learning to tune, couple of questions

hello everyone,
    I finally got my interface to work for my truck, and I have a couple of questions:

is changing the maximum fuel quantity from 140mm3 to 200mm3 and adjusting the tables accordingly going to actually give me more fuel? ive tried this, but on my logs the fuel quantity is still only hitting around 135mm3. I believe I have all the limiters disabled.

Where is the table for rail pressure? the only thing I have been able to find is the fuel pressure axis in the pulse width table. in my logs I see the actual rp struggling to keep up with the desired when I floor it. it lags about 8000 psi till the pump catches up.

in my logs, im still hitting the air limit although I have (what I believe is) all the limiters disabled. I added 50% to the max aiflow table.

is there any way to be able to monitor speed, rpm, and accl input? I see them on the generic pids, but when I go into vin specific theyre not there.

my setup is a 6.7 with stock bowl pistons ad stock cam, 04.5 ecm, ported head, 150% injectors, and a 10mm stroker pump

thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Langchung; 08-18-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    If you look at your injector PW table, you'll see that it defines what a given quantity of fuel is equal to in terms of duration. In the case of my stock file for my '05, the highest quantity that is defined is 140mm3. With the various maps in the ECM, anything that calls for a value beyond the highest defined breakpoint simply uses the last known breakpoint (in other words, if you were able to successfully command 200mm3, it would still use the same pulsewidth as it would if you were only commanding 140mm3).

Another thing to note, there may be some hard-coded limiters within the ECM that won't allow you to command any higher than a certain quantity at a given RPM. So, it is usually best practice to leave the quantity scaling alone in the Injector PW table. As for the pedal table, you could command more than the maximum defined quantity vs pulsewidth, but again, doing so won't net you anything more than whatever the maximum defined value is. The only thing it will do is bring 100% fueling in sooner than 100% pedal (for example, if your pedal table commanded 100mm3 at 50% throttle, and 200mm3 at 100% throttle, then at 75% throttle, you'd be commanding 150mm3 - linear interpolation - which would give you full fueling, 140mm3, at 70% throttle).

If you want to actually achieve more fueling than what the factory ECM would typically allow (say you commanded 140mm3 at 100% pedal across the board, but still wanted more fueling than what that was giving you), then you have to increase the pulsewidth values at the corresponding "pressure vs quantity" breakpoint.

As far as rail pressure, look in the "Fuel Sys" section of the calibration.

And remember to adjust your timing tables according to your duration mapping.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your input, I've changed them back to 140mm3.
    I still am still not seeing the rail pressure table anywhere.

First make sure your not viewing the file in the "basic" mode, change to "advanced". Once you do that you'll find the fuel rail pressure tables under the "fuel sys" tab.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, after about 4 hours of playing with it I found I needed to enable the advanced mode. But I still don't have rail pressure table. I was wondering if it was in some kind of different name of one of the limiters table.

Tuner in Training
    Never mind...found it. I was thinking you meant diesel fueling that's under the engine tab. I guess I figured everything would be in there. Thanks!
    Which brings me to my next question: how does the transient tables correlate with the different air density tables? How do I tune each table to make her run correctly without having that specific air density available, it is it just an estimation until winter comes?
    Last edited by Langchung; 08-21-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Langchung, did you get your fueling past 135mm? Or did you just adjust the pulse width? I still seem to be stuck at 135mm3 and I do not see why. Don't feel bad, took me a bit to find the rail pressure map too.

Tuner in Training
    I adjusted everything back to 140mm3. I just checked one of my logs, I hit 140.8 and 141.2 uncompensated. This is the pull I made once I messed with the pressure table, although my actual rp was 4000 psi below the desired when I was at that fuel rate.