Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6r80 transmissions holding up with transbrake?

6r80 transmissions holding up with transbrake?

For those of you with the transbrake setup on their 6r80 auto transmissions, how are they holding up? I'm considering adding it to my car. But my trans must survive hundreds if not thousands of passes using the transbrake to launch. I have over a thousand passes on the 6r80 just off a 2-step with no issues.

Has anybody heard of anybody grenading their trans yet with the transbrake?

It's a normal risk with any transmission with a Tbrake. To reduce the risk, don't stay too long on the brake, install a big cooler and let the car cool as much as you can between passes.
    A trans shield is a good idea, any trans can explode while on the brake.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    It's a normal risk with any transmission with a Tbrake. To reduce the risk, don't stay too long on the brake, install a big cooler and let the car cool as much as you can between passes.
    A trans shield is a good idea, any trans can explode while on the brake.
    Let me clear a few things up.

1. No need for a larger cooler. The Mustang trans cooler is larger than I have seen on any race car.
    2. The electronic transbrake is not a traditional transbrake in that it doesn't use reverse to prevent the car from moving when activated. It binds two forward gears to keep the car from moving and it does have limits unlike a traditional transbrake. It must be coupled with a two step to work effectively.

My car was the development platform for the 2 and 3 relay transbrake that most use. I am using the 2 relay setup and have hundreds of passes and several class wins using it. After several years of use I have had no issues.
    Last edited by wbt; 08-21-2017 at 10:48 AM.

That makes me fee much better about running a t-brake wbt. I currently use a 2-step wired in with my line-lock. I actually even run a delay box using this current setup. So I will run the t-brake with the 2-step and line lock to guarantee the car doesn't move while on it.

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    Let me clear a few things up.
    It still makes heat and an explosion is a possibility. A shield and letting the car cool down are still a good idea.
    Me and friends have race cars with traditional transbrakes and not a single issue for years, that doesn't mean there aren't safety concerns.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    It still makes heat and an explosion is a possibility. A shield and letting the car cool down are still a good idea.
    Me and friends have race cars with traditional transbrakes and not a single issue for years, that doesn't mean there aren't safety concerns.
    I run a trans blanket on my car which is required for the times I run. Anything can happen however ans speak from experience on this. I have several other cars I tune that also use the same setup as me with similar results with several years of usage.

My last race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu6Eb7-p_YA

I installed the JMSChip Launch Max transbrake today. I've had it sitting around but reinstalled it today. I also have a 3600 stall Circle D. wbt, what RPM have you been launching at? I'm thinking of launching at 3,000 RPM.

Also have you had any issues with it throwing codes or throwing the car into limp mode? I've upped the inferred movement to 8,000. Previously when I was running it I had the car go into limp mode. But it may have just been that I didn't have it wired in solid. This time I was very careful with the wiring. But have you ever had it throw any codes on you?

Also I'v wired in my 2-step and line-lock with it as well to make sure the car doesn't roll while on the button

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dbb2797 View Post
    I installed the JMSChip Launch Max transbrake today. I've had it sitting around but reinstalled it today. I also have a 3600 stall Circle D. wbt, what RPM have you been launching at? I'm thinking of launching at 3,000 RPM.

Also have you had any issues with it throwing codes or throwing the car into limp mode? I've upped the inferred movement to 8,000. Previously when I was running it I had the car go into limp mode. But it may have just been that I didn't have it wired in solid. This time I was very careful with the wiring. But have you ever had it throw any codes on you?

Also I'v wired in my 2-step and line-lock with it as well to make sure the car doesn't roll while on the button
    I have my 2 step set to 3,500 and have been mid 1.4 60' times N/A.

No codes and yes you will need to up inferred movement. Can you post codes?

Using the line lock isn't necessary if everything else is working as it should.

Advanced Tuner

We had a 15' with the JMS transbrake setup and it would throw it into limp mode frequently while driving. It was causing problems with the APP assembly. We removed it and the customer never put it back on.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    We had a 15' with the JMS transbrake setup and it would throw it into limp mode frequently while driving. It was causing problems with the APP assembly. We removed it and the customer never put it back on.
    Possible the JMS piece is a turd. May be worth selling that and use standard relays.

I did some testing tonight with about 4 hits off the JMS transbrake with good luck and no codes or limp mode. The last time I had it installed I don't even think I got 2 launches without it throwing a code.

THis time I wired it off +12v instead of ground. And it's possible I didn't have inferred movement set last time. Also if I recall, I was getting a P0768 code.
    https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...lerie-johnston

If I do end up going into limp mode, can I just disable that code to prevent it?

Also wbt, your videos are awesome and your car is very impressive! I have a question on your 60fts in the videos. I notice that a few of them appear to be .05 slow compared to most of your 60fts. Do you think that's a byproduct of the transbrake or just something else unrelated? I only ask because I bracket race my car and consistency is very important obviously.

Advanced Tuner
    I did some testing tonight with about 4 hits off the JMS transbrake with good luck and no codes or limp mode. The last time I had it installed I don't even think I got 2 launches without it throwing a code.

THis time I wired it off +12v instead of ground. And it's possible I didn't have inferred movement set last time. Also if I recall, I was getting a P0768 code.
    https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...lerie-johnston

If I do end up going into limp mode, can I just disable that code to prevent it?

Also wbt, your videos are awesome and your car is very impressive! I have a question on your 60fts in the videos. I notice that a few of them appear to be .05 slow compared to most of your 60fts. Do you think that's a byproduct of the transbrake or just something else unrelated? I only ask because I bracket race my car and consistency is very important obviously.
    You can turn codes off to help. I don't recall if I had done any of that and would have to go back and look.

The difference on 60' is the car spinning on launch. Sub par track.

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    You can turn codes off to help. I don't recall if I had done any of that and would have to go back and look.

The difference on 60' is the car spinning on launch. Sub par track.
    That makes sense. Your RT's were consistent which pointed to it not being related to the launch. When I spin too, it generally doesn't affect RT.

8 launches at the track today with no limp mode issues at all. It was very consistent launching too. All my 60fts were within .01 of each other.

My only issue now is a 1-2 transmission slip (flare) that seems to occur randomly. The shift seems to hang for a second during the shift every now and then.
    Any thoughts on what could be causing that flare?

I've attached my tune in case anybody can see anything.

shift1stto2ndflare.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    8 launches at the track today with no limp mode issues at all. It was very consistent launching too. All my 60fts were within .01 of each other.

My only issue now is a 1-2 transmission slip (flare) that seems to occur randomly. The shift seems to hang for a second during the shift every now and then.
    Any thoughts on what could be causing that flare?

I've attached my tune in case anybody can see anything.

shift1stto2ndflare.hpt
    Great to hear. I would bump up the 1A-2M shift pressure.

Thanks wbt. I've raised the pressure a little bit. Also I had the clutch fill time at 1-2 at .20. I've seen recommendations for the shorter clutch fill times by others , but I think that is the wrong direction. I raised that back to stock and the shifts are much better. Virtually no flare with the raised pressure and clutch fill times. I only had one small and short flare.

Looking at the Roush tune, I notice they even raise the fill times even higher. I'm going to raise it more which should completely fix the flares. I'm convinced they should be longer and not shorter. Also the Roush tune raises the ramp rate on 1A-2M at the higher levels. I'm going to try that as well.

Tuner
    on a 1-2 shift in my experience you need to run a minimum clutch fill time of .55 or greater to not flare, just know that the higher you go the lower in RPM the shift will occur so you will need to raise the shift points to a higher RPM if you raise the fill times.

bringing this back up. WBT you mentioned you tried the 3 wire transbrake and in another thread you mentioned needing something to do with the D clutch releasing at 3mph? Is there a way to turn up the line pressure while on the brake with a 2-relay rather than using the 3-relay or did you just decide the added pressure wasn't needed?

Tuner in Training
    Has anyone had there TB to stick wide open after letting go of trans brake? JMS transbrake. Thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinhen View Post
    Has anyone had there TB to stick wide open after letting go of trans brake? JMS transbrake. Thanks in advance
    Yes, if a few fixes have been proposed already, look it up on Lunds facebook page, they addressed it.