Thread: Can't seem to slow start up idle

Senior Tuner

Can't seem to slow start up idle

I've set my rpm at no more than 750 but start up still reaches 1500 rpm. How can I slow start up?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    list of mods would help
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    list of mods would help
    Green air filter (in stock air box),Katech ported tb, afe catless pipe, Borla X pipe.

Engine>Airflow>Cranking Airflow - Is high for a long time. My thought. Depending on your likes and your vehicle and your mods and where you live and the temp... you might need to tone down the airflow to your liking. There are other posts on startup. Like this one.. https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...artup-high-rev . Search GenV for "startup". I think you may get a good start with the Cranking Airflow however.

This is a different application but, just for "grins" here's a 5.3 GenV off road truck open exhaust long tube headers and cold air ...

Attachment 72953

This chart is about a 70% reduction in some spots.
    Last edited by Robert C Morgillo; 08-28-2017 at 08:13 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Thank you! I'll give that a try.

8850, all OK in Sugar Land? You are close. Stay safe and, God Bless Texas!

Monitor what the ignition timing is doing as well. Excessive timing can cause that too.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert C Morgillo View Post
    8850, all OK in Sugar Land? You are close. Stay safe and, God Bless Texas!
    So far good here in Greatwood subdivision. If our levees overflow then we may not be so good.

Quote Originally Posted by veee8 View Post
    Monitor what the ignition timing is doing as well. Excessive timing can cause that too.
    Thanks! The link Robert posted talks about the cranking timing tables. I'll have to try them if the air flow doesn't get start up the way I would like.

Senior Tuner
    Engine>Airflow>Cranking Airflow - Is high for a long time. My thought. Depending on your likes and your vehicle and your mods and where you live and the temp... you might need to tone down the airflow to your liking. There are other posts on startup. Like this one.. https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...artup-high-rev . Search GenV for "startup". I think you may get a good start with the Cranking Airflow however.

This is a different application but, just for "grins" here's a 5.3 GenV off road truck open exhaust long tube headers and cold air ...

Attachment 72953

This chart is about a 70% reduction in some spots.
    Here is my stock and what I thought I would try first. If I don't get the results as I've mentioned I'll go into the timing table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    Start up rpm came down to just over 1100 vs. about 1500 with my original file. I've attached the changed file called cranking air flow and my original. Surprised rpm did not come down more with these changes. But it's certainly more acceptable IMO. Thanks guys!
    Attached Files Attached Files

You aren't going to get much better than that. You could give it a little more start up timing and a little less airflow. It might like a little advance for an easier (quicker) start. With 11.5 to 1 compression however, they seem to start even with a lot of retard. In any event it is a driver preference thing (start up flare control).

Good luck in Texas my friend.
    Last edited by Robert C Morgillo; 08-28-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Senior Tuner
    You aren't going to get much better than that. You could give it a little more start up timing and a little less airflow. It might like a little advance for an easier start. with 11.5 to 1 compression however, they seem to start even with a lot of retard. In any event it is a driver preference thing (start up flare control).

Good luck in Texas my friend.
    Thanks Robert!