Thread: Idle surge to 2,000 rpm when shifting to neutral from a cruise.

Idle surge to 2,000 rpm when shifting to neutral from a cruise.

Shifting from any gear to neutral while cruising, idle will spike to 2,000 rpm's or so and hang there for a while. Will drop back to idle once I come to a stop. Idle at any other time is fine.

Read several posts that say this is a normal condition.

Has anyone figured out a way to tune it out.

Mods are Centri, Cam, and ported heads.

Thinking a vacuum leak is pretty much ruled out. I don't experience any other symptoms that would suggest otherwise.

Senior Tuner
    could be a number of things. just need the tune file.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Here is the tune file.

Appreciate the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    id take the 1st gear settings and put them in all the tables as a test. {final idle airflow} watch the commanded timing and run that against what the ecm is doing. That would be where i would start. assuming the cam is not super aggressive. your knock sensor settings on the other hand. they seem a bit dumbed down a lot farther than I personally would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    id take the 1st gear settings and put them in all the tables as a test. {final idle airflow} watch the commanded timing and run that against what the ecm is doing. That would be where i would start. assuming the cam is not super aggressive. your knock sensor settings on the other hand. they seem a bit dumbed down a lot farther than I personally would do.
    Thanks. I will try that.

As far as the knock sensors I've never messed with them. How would you change them?

Senior Tuner
    i wouldn't without a dyno to run it against to be certain. If the air flow is in check, you can also tweak the under/overspeed coast settings under the spark tab to gain a bit more control over it.

i wouldn't without a dyno to run it against to be certain. If the air flow is in check, you can also tweak the under/overspeed coast settings under the spark tab to gain a bit more control over it.
    Thanks!

Changing base airflow only made things worse. Not to mention I think doing the TB relearn also contributed to that.

Still surging, put the table back the way it was.

Tuning Addict
    Go back to factory idle advance and idle coastdown advance - should take care of the worst of it... As for the surge that's going to be a combo of things from proportional and integral airflow settings, idle spark corrections and most importantly the VE table which looks off pretty bad.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Go back to factory idle advance and idle coastdown advance - should take care of the worst of it... As for the surge that's going to be a combo of things from proportional and integral airflow settings, idle spark corrections and most importantly the VE table which looks off pretty bad.
    I will take another look at it.

Potential Tuner
    Turn on Adaptive Idle RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by espinjt View Post
    Turn on Adaptive Idle RPM.
    I have this set to 20 sec. Still nothing has worked in correcting this issue.

If I hold the clutch in for about a minute before letting it out the idle stays normal. It's only when I shift to neutral and let clutch out right away.

So it appears it does have something to do with elapsed time.

Anyone else have any ideas, just started driving car again and this issue is really driving me nuts.

Again, the following has to occur to duplicate condition:

Driving car, depress clutch, shift to neutral, let clutch out, idle revs to about 2k rpm. Push clutch back in idle lowers to normal.

If I hold clutch in for about a minute and let clutch out in neutral, idle does not rev.

Thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    you're using proportional idle airflow corrections when you let the clutch back out.

clutch in according the DFCO spark will drop the timing to 0 then when you shift to N and let the clutch out it will revert to coast down spark table. if that's at 1400rpm you're going from 0-28* spark instantly.

either enable CFCO and set the spark value to something suitable.

you can also cheat by setting adaptive idle to work at the speed youre having issues. it wont work with clutch in but itll work when its out and TPS pedal is 0%

Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    you're using proportional idle airflow corrections when you let the clutch back out.

clutch in according the DFCO spark will drop the timing to 0 then when you shift to N and let the clutch out it will revert to coast down spark table. if that's at 1400rpm you're going from 0-28* spark instantly.

you can also cheat by setting adaptive idle to work at the speed youre having issues. it wont work with clutch in but itll work when its out and TPS pedal is 0%
    Sounds so simple when you understand exactly how the system works! lol Thank you for your explanation, it makes complete sense.
    I will give this a shot.

Thanks for your time,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post

Just took a look at my tune. I have the DCFO disabled by temp. My CFCO and DCFO spark tables are stock. Should I lower the main timing table in the idle areas?
    Last edited by jpb1972; 08-03-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Senior Tuner
    For a quick and easy test. Take the 1st gear air flow numbers and paste them in all of the tables.

Raise the up the idle areas from 15 to 20 degrees, and same with the coast down from 18 to 20.

Potential Tuner

Did you ever get this figured out, I'm having a very similar problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jpb1972 View Post
    Just took a look at my tune. I have the DCFO disabled by temp. My CFCO and DCFO spark tables are stock. Should I lower the main timing table in the idle areas?