Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No throttle response

No freeze frame data.
    The only codes are a P0103 & a transmission temp out of range (wire is not connected to PCM)
    And a pending P1514

I see Maf data in the channels of my scanner so they are active so data is coming through so I think the MAF wiring is fine. I wired th harness in wire by wire. Confirmed each connection. With the stock tune it runs flawlessly.
    I've set up my graph to show Maf data, and it is showing in the graph vs Timeline, but NOT in the Maf Error histogram.

I must have something wrong. I followed a Youtube video precisely setting it up. Similar to my WB error hist. I've got the cell labels across, and I am getting current data in the first cell only, no matter what running RPM the other cells do not populate.
    ~ Richard ~
    1992 Jeep XJ - Gen3 - 6.0LS, 4L80e, 4.10, 2wd

Advanced Tuner
    add the mass air flow (frequency hz) to your graph your using the mass flow rate in g/s currently.

OK, thanks.

So many similar PIDs and it's difficult sometimes to see exactly on the video which one they selected.
    ~ Richard ~

"2003 LQ4/4L80e/4.10, bone stock with LS1 intake, shorty headers & CAI"

I meant to ask you... what injectors are you running? LQ4 or LS1 injectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Sin7even View Post
    I meant to ask you... what injectors are you running? LQ4 or LS1 injectors?
    I'm using the injectors that were on the engine.

My LTFTs in SD are +%, with the MAF they are +25%
    So I think my intake plumbing has upset the air flow into the engine.

I had hoped to just run in SD, but this 1514 is killing me. I hope to dial in the MAF this week so that may make the PCM happy again.
    ~ Richard ~

My understanding of the P1514 is that the module references the MAF and the VE calculations to verify if the throttle body is flowing the correct amount of air.

Maybe 5FDP or someone else that has more experience with the P1514 can chime in. I'm wondering if your VE is during your SD tuning, if that would make it easier to set the P1514 fault. Hopefully someone will be able to give us some more light on that subject.

Maybe post up your original file before you started tuning (when the vehicle ran well without P1514 problems) and one of your recent files that is setting the P1514 fault. I've looked at a couple of files you have posted on HPT and their VE maps in comparison mode.

Your Cherokee-july-25 file:
    Cherokee-july-25.jpg

Your 2003-sierra-6.0-aug-21 file:
    2003-sierra-6.jpg

And a comparison of the 2 files:
    comparison file.jpg

In comparison the WOT/4400-5600 RPM there is a lot of VE for a stock NA engine. I can not say for sure that is it, but the numbers look inflated. I wonder what your stock unaltered VE map looks like.

Here is a screen grab of a stock VE from a 2001 Suburban I have tuned

stock 01 Suburban VE.jpg

Sorry haven't been around for a bit, health issues to deal with.

The stock tune is attached. I just disabled the VATS, EVAP and enabled 2 cooling fans.
    The current tune is the 2003-sierra-Aug-21-SD-tune.

I lowered the PE enable RPM from the 5,500 to 4,500 RPM, so that is likely what you are seeing in the VE that is different. With the 4.10 gears and the light weight I reasoned that I would be into the power range much more frequently but for a shorter duration so I lowered the RPM range so I would be in it more.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~ Richard ~

Advanced Tuner
    Why not instead lower the pe rpm enable to 2000rpm and use throttle percentage and manifold pressure to enable pe? Is there a reason you only want power enrichment to be on for only a short 1500 rpm window. In my rookie opinion I want power enrichment anytime my foots on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by LS XJ View Post

I lowered the PE enable RPM from the 5,500 to 4,500 RPM, so that is likely what you are seeing in the VE that is different. With the 4.10 gears and the light weight I reasoned that I would be into the power range much more frequently but for a shorter duration so I lowered the RPM range so I would be in it more.
    Well, that is not really the way PE functions. You have your PE Enable criteria that the module has to see before it will consider going into PE, and on top of that you have your throttle requirements. The PE Delay functions in a way that it will hold back the PE activation if the vehicle is under the PRESET RPM for a PRESET AMOUNT OF TIME. You have PE Delay set 4500 RPM and 0 seconds, that means the PE will be held back for 0 seconds if the vehicle is under 4500 RPM (the 0 seconds basically deactivates the PE Delay. I have a screen grab from your inj. duty cycl. dropping off log below showing your PE coming in around 2750 RPM.

Some 2500HD vehicles have their PE Delay set factory to something like 5500 RPM and 30 SECONDS, basically deactivating normal PE function and using it for what seems to be just to cool of the pistons/combustion chambers a little (odd but might be for EPA testing reasons... who knows).

In regards to "I lowered the PE enable RPM from the 5,500 to 4,500 RPM, so that is likely what you are seeing in the VE that is different.", that would not affect your VE map/numbers. The PE functions is just overlaid on top of you Fueling calculations from your VE and LTFT.

Sorry for it being long winded, just want to make sure I cover everything.

From your inj. duty cycl. dropping of log:
    PE - OL Accel 2750rpm.jpg
    Last edited by Sin7even; 08-30-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Got a chance to look over your "The stock tune is attached. I just disabled the VATS, EVAP and enabled 2 cooling fans.", and I noticed that the VE still seemed odd. So I downloaded some stock files from the repository (a few 03 Silv 2500HD 6.0L files, and a few 03 Silv 1500HD 6.0L files).

Your VE is different from all of those other vehicles, but there is a lot more different then what you stated "I just disabled the VATS, EVAP and enabled 2 cooling fans".

One of those things is the Engine > Airflow > Electronic Throttle > Desired Throttle > Both NORMAL and ALTERNATE tables. Those will affect the rate the throttle body opens at, and might be causing you problems (especially if the VE has inflated numbers due to running ethanol blended fuel with a Stoich AFR of 14.68, or an incorrect Wide Band reading during VE tuning).

I would advise you find your original read file that has nothing changed, and ONLY adjust the bare minimum needed for the swap (including the throttle cracker if necessary), DO NOT touch the Desired Throttle tables. Verify the vehicles starts, verify vehicle drives well, and then start tuning your VE. Only other thing I would advise is, just about all of us are running E10 (ethanol up to 10%) fuel in our daily drivers (not much E0 fuel at gas stations these days and you are not tuning to run flex); I like to set the Engine > Fuel > General > Stoichiometry > Stoich AFR to 14.10 (14.10 AFR is for approximately 10% Ethanol fuel). That will make sure you are not compensating for a less dense fuel by inflating your VE #s.

A comparison log of your "The stock tune is attached. I just disabled the VATS, EVAP and enabled 2 cooling fans" file VS a stock file:

What is going on there is a lot changed.jpg

Here is a close up on the comparison log (green is what I expected from previous conversations, and red is unexpected with the arrow pointing to tables in question)

This could be the problem.jpg

Hope this helps you get somewhere.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this. If I don't understand all the angles here, it isn't because I'm arguing with you , just trying to get an understanding.

I opened my current tune, aug 23, and compared it to the stock file with only the VATS disabled.

Things I changed, disabled VATS, set idle to 550, set "Abuse" to 7,400 RPM and 0 km/h, set "Max Torque" to 380, copied high octane table to low octane table, zeroed out the MAF, set DTCs to MIL on First Error, set rear O2s and some EVAP DTCs to No Error Reported and setup rad fans and fan run time. However, I did just now find that in Engine > Airflow > Dynamic, the "High RPM Disable" is set to 7,000 RPM from the original 4,000 RPM. I don't know exactly what this does, but I think some member may have recommended that I make this change to deal with the 1514.

My head is starting to spin.......

I never did touch any of the Electronic Throttle settings. I know NOTHING about those and have read that I should not touch those. I don't know the history of the donor truck, maybe somebody else was making some adjustments.

Bottom line, I know that if I run the stock file, with only the VATS and fans, it runs super great, but LTFTs over 25% lean. If I zero out the MAF it runs only about 5% lean. I'm thinking that my "swap required" air intake is messing up the MAF flow. Just leaving it in SD mode would be so much simpler, if it would run properly. So I was going to continue tune the MAF, but my health has taken a turn for the worse, so it may be a while longer before I get out to the shop.
    ~ Richard ~

Sorry to hear about your health, hope you get better. If you get around to messing with the Jeep again, feel free to message me or ask any questions on here. The HPT community is one of the best.

In regards to the intake change, it should not make that drastic of a difference from the truck intake... not with out a cam change.

"I opened my current tune, aug 23, and compared it to the stock file with only the VATS disabled." You are comparing your current against a file you have modified already.

The fist thing you would want to do when you read a vehicle is save that file as an ORIGINAL READ - DO NOT DELETE OR CHANGE, or something like that (I like to make two copies of that original read file... one for my tuning computers and one on a cloud like Dropbox). Then I make a copy on my computer of that file and rename it some thing descriptive (whatever first I'm going to changing) and then I make my changes to that new copy. Never change or overwrite any of the ORIGINAL READ - DO NOT DELETE OR CHANGE files, they are you fall back plan.

You would need to compare your current file to what I would call your ORIGINAL READ - DO NOT DELETE OR CHANGE file. That is the only way to tell what all differences you have from stock. Looking at your both you current and "the stock file with only the VATS disabled" files versus several other stock vehicles from the repository shows that there are a lot of changes, and I'm not focusing on any of the usual differences (like fans, fuel tank size, speed limiters...).